Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

OEM XP and SP2 trouble.

Tags:
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
September 6, 2004 3:19:05 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Has anyone run into the problem of having installed SP2 from MS's CD that
you can't get back into Windows because "A problem is preventing Windows
from accurately checking the license for the computer. Error Code:
OX8007007f". Windows just hangs in the Welcome screen with the above dialog.
I can get in in Safe Mode. If I try to boot from the OS installation CD I
get the same result as booting to Windows on the HDD. MS's Help is stuck and
is turning me back to my OEM who preloaded the XP. Being the holiday weekend
they don't have the "experts" in. I'm locked out! Help! Denzil.

More about : oem sp2 trouble

Anonymous
September 6, 2004 3:19:06 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Denzil Hathway wrote:
> Has anyone run into the problem of having installed SP2 from MS's CD
> that you can't get back into Windows because "A problem is preventing
> Windows from accurately checking the license for the computer. Error
> Code: OX8007007f". Windows just hangs in the Welcome screen with the
> above dialog. I can get in in Safe Mode. If I try to boot from the OS
> installation CD I get the same result as booting to Windows on the
> HDD. MS's Help is stuck and is turning me back to my OEM who
> preloaded the XP. Being the holiday weekend they don't have the
> "experts" in. I'm locked out! Help! Denzil.

Denzil

Restart the system in Safe Mode.

Go to start/run, and type:

regsvr32.exe regwizc.dll

Select OK.

Go to start/run, and type:

regsvr32.exe licdll.dll

Select OK.

You should receive a confirmation message for each command. Reboot to see if
the problem is solved.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP
Windows Shell/User
Anonymous
September 6, 2004 2:46:40 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Ronnie, I,m writing from my wife's laptop. I do appreciate your reply. I did
exactly as you suggested but got exactly the same result as before. On
bootup the process halts at the XP Welcome screen with a dialog that says "A
problem prevents Windows from accurately checking the license for this
computer. Error Code: Ox8007007f." When I entered on the Run line the
commands you suggested I got a "You were successful" dialog each time.
Another question, in a few days I'm changing to a new 120 Gig HDD. It's from
Gateway and is blank, meaning I'll have to reload XP Home and add SP2 afresh
and then reload everything. Will this solve my problem? BTW I'm a simple
domestic user with the barest of networks, PC and Laptop for the Internet,
which of course is down right now. I do thank you for the help! Regards,
Denzil.

==============================





"Ronnie Vernon MVP" <ronv@mvps.org> wrote in message
news:o p8sCd9kEHA.592@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Denzil Hathway wrote:
> > Has anyone run into the problem of having installed SP2 from MS's CD
> > that you can't get back into Windows because "A problem is preventing
> > Windows from accurately checking the license for the computer. Error
> > Code: OX8007007f". Windows just hangs in the Welcome screen with the
> > above dialog. I can get in in Safe Mode. If I try to boot from the OS
> > installation CD I get the same result as booting to Windows on the
> > HDD. MS's Help is stuck and is turning me back to my OEM who
> > preloaded the XP. Being the holiday weekend they don't have the
> > "experts" in. I'm locked out! Help! Denzil.
>
> Denzil
>
> Restart the system in Safe Mode.
>
> Go to start/run, and type:
>
> regsvr32.exe regwizc.dll
>
> Select OK.
>
> Go to start/run, and type:
>
> regsvr32.exe licdll.dll
>
> Select OK.
>
> You should receive a confirmation message for each command. Reboot to see
if
> the problem is solved.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>
>
Anonymous
September 6, 2004 5:51:35 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Denzil Hathway wrote:
> Ronnie, I,m writing from my wife's laptop. I do appreciate your
> reply. I did exactly as you suggested but got exactly the same result
> as before. On bootup the process halts at the XP Welcome screen with
> a dialog that says "A problem prevents Windows from accurately
> checking the license for this computer. Error Code: Ox8007007f." When
> I entered on the Run line the commands you suggested I got a "You
> were successful" dialog each time. Another question, in a few days
> I'm changing to a new 120 Gig HDD. It's from Gateway and is blank,
> meaning I'll have to reload XP Home and add SP2 afresh and then
> reload everything. Will this solve my problem? BTW I'm a simple
> domestic user with the barest of networks, PC and Laptop for the
> Internet, which of course is down right now. I do thank you for the
> help! Regards, Denzil.
>

Denzil

Yes, the new installation should resolve the problem. Somehow the
registration for these files or the "provider" registry keys have become
corrupt. If the steps you performed did not resolve the error, my next
recommendation would have been a repair install anyway.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP
Windows Shell/User
!