OEM XP and SP2 trouble.

Has anyone run into the problem of having installed SP2 from MS's CD that
you can't get back into Windows because "A problem is preventing Windows
from accurately checking the license for the computer. Error Code:
OX8007007f". Windows just hangs in the Welcome screen with the above dialog.
I can get in in Safe Mode. If I try to boot from the OS installation CD I
get the same result as booting to Windows on the HDD. MS's Help is stuck and
is turning me back to my OEM who preloaded the XP. Being the holiday weekend
they don't have the "experts" in. I'm locked out! Help! Denzil.
3 answers Last reply
More about trouble

    Denzil Hathway wrote:
    > Has anyone run into the problem of having installed SP2 from MS's CD
    > that you can't get back into Windows because "A problem is preventing
    > Windows from accurately checking the license for the computer. Error
    > Code: OX8007007f". Windows just hangs in the Welcome screen with the
    > above dialog. I can get in in Safe Mode. If I try to boot from the OS
    > installation CD I get the same result as booting to Windows on the
    > HDD. MS's Help is stuck and is turning me back to my OEM who
    > preloaded the XP. Being the holiday weekend they don't have the
    > "experts" in. I'm locked out! Help! Denzil.

    Denzil

    Restart the system in Safe Mode.

    Go to start/run, and type:

    regsvr32.exe regwizc.dll

    Select OK.

    Go to start/run, and type:

    regsvr32.exe licdll.dll

    Select OK.

    You should receive a confirmation message for each command. Reboot to see if
    the problem is solved.

    --

    Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

    Ronnie, I,m writing from my wife's laptop. I do appreciate your reply. I did
    exactly as you suggested but got exactly the same result as before. On
    bootup the process halts at the XP Welcome screen with a dialog that says "A
    problem prevents Windows from accurately checking the license for this
    computer. Error Code: Ox8007007f." When I entered on the Run line the
    commands you suggested I got a "You were successful" dialog each time.
    Another question, in a few days I'm changing to a new 120 Gig HDD. It's from
    Gateway and is blank, meaning I'll have to reload XP Home and add SP2 afresh
    and then reload everything. Will this solve my problem? BTW I'm a simple
    domestic user with the barest of networks, PC and Laptop for the Internet,
    which of course is down right now. I do thank you for the help! Regards,
    Denzil.

    ==============================

    Denzil Hathway wrote:
    > Ronnie, I,m writing from my wife's laptop. I do appreciate your
    > reply. I did exactly as you suggested but got exactly the same result
    > as before. On bootup the process halts at the XP Welcome screen with
    > a dialog that says "A problem prevents Windows from accurately
    > checking the license for this computer. Error Code: Ox8007007f." When
    > I entered on the Run line the commands you suggested I got a "You
    > were successful" dialog each time. Another question, in a few days
    > I'm changing to a new 120 Gig HDD. It's from Gateway and is blank,
    > meaning I'll have to reload XP Home and add SP2 afresh and then
    > reload everything. Will this solve my problem? BTW I'm a simple
    > domestic user with the barest of networks, PC and Laptop for the
    > Internet, which of course is down right now. I do thank you for the
    > help! Regards, Denzil.

    Denzil

    Yes, the new installation should resolve the problem. Somehow the
    registration for these files or the "provider" registry keys have become
    corrupt. If the steps you performed did not resolve the error, my next
    recommendation would have been a repair install anyway.

    --

    Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

Windows XP