Sign in with
Your question

Dont throw away that busted card yet!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 28, 2006 9:41:35 AM

Recently I was given a broken Sapphire 9700 Pro. It had horrendous artifacts even under desktop use. Wouldent even run 3DMark03...
Yet the little heatsink sat there and the fan spinned.
I guess about 90% of all people should have tossed the card now.
But I tock the heatsink of, put some new paste on the core, mixed some 2-component glue and glued an old p4 celeron heatsink right on the core.
Now it works perfectly! (and overclocks a lot to!)

I belive that A LOT of graphivs card is simply scrapped due to the crappy original heatsinks.
After 2-3 years of use the fan is full of dust, the paste dried out and the sleave bearing in the fan motor is worn out, so the fans spins a lot slower, if it doesent stop altogether.
With a new heatsink your card can live and prosper! :D 

More about : dont throw busted card

March 28, 2006 11:19:55 AM

I agree I had the same thing with a 9800 just bought a new heatsink and now its fine
March 28, 2006 12:24:45 PM

I wonder if that would work on my old Voodoo5 (I gave my old p3 computer to my dad, but the voodoo didn't work very well, so i popped in an old ATI 32mb card)...somethin to test when im bored one day I guess!
Related resources
March 28, 2006 12:43:24 PM

They also have other uses:

Older PCI (regular) cards make GREAT doorstops!

What an interesting paperweight one can make!

A certain type of rare ninja uses them to throw at enemies instead of throwing stars!

No Toilet paper? Here, use my Voodoo3!

Chuck Norris eats them with milk on top for breakfast!
March 28, 2006 1:56:59 PM

You just may have saved me some money. My X800 XTPE just chit da bed on me. However it was just as you described, 2 years old, dust covered and it's an HIS unit with a heavy heatsink on it. When I get the box back from the shop at lunch I'll take apart that card and see if I can get it running. The fan spins and the chortles but no video throughput at all. Thanks for the information..

Da Worfster
March 28, 2006 2:49:59 PM

I wouldn't really recommend gluing a heatsink directly to the GPU though. Epoxy isn't the best thermal conductor.

I had the same problem on my 5900 though, replaced the HS with one from Zalman and it works like a charm.
March 28, 2006 5:23:17 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't really recommend gluing a heatsink directly to the GPU though. Epoxy isn't the best thermal conductor.

I had the same problem on my 5900 though, replaced the HS with one from Zalman and it works like a charm.

Your right, but in this case I had ordinary thermal paste on the actual core and epoxy glue on the shim around the core. Sorry if i wasn't clear on that.
But I have also successfully mixed thermal paste and expoxy glue 50/50 (I use the 2-component variants because its better) to a mix and just smacked the heatsink on. Worked like a charm. Epoxy IS a thermal conductor, just not as good as thermal paste.
Btw, buying a Zalman is of course a great idea, if the card is fairly new I guess thats the best option.
March 28, 2006 5:43:19 PM

Quote:

ROFL. In my little brother's computer (p3 400 mhz, win98, 10gb hdd, 128mb ram) there's a 16mb "diamond viper tnt" card. I've never even heard of the company that makes it.
March 28, 2006 6:00:02 PM

Quote:
I wonder if that would work on my old Voodoo5 (I gave my old p3 computer to my dad, but the voodoo didn't work very well, so i popped in an old ATI 32mb card)...somethin to test when im bored one day I guess!

no.. nothing can save your old voodoo..

heh
March 28, 2006 6:02:31 PM

Quote:

ROFL. In my little brother's computer (p3 400 mhz, win98, 10gb hdd, 128mb ram) there's a 16mb "diamond viper tnt" card. I've never even heard of the company that makes it.

hey dont diss the diamond.. i loved my old viper... it had its day...
March 28, 2006 6:07:39 PM

I still have a tnt2 from diamond that runs in my file server. Diamond made some sweet cards back in the day. (mine i got in '99 when it was the first 32 meg card made) They went away from cards for a while and made the rio mp3 players and crap. Now they are back and making high-end ati cards. google it up.
March 28, 2006 6:51:02 PM

Quote:

c'mon dude...
u don't know THE DIAMOND?
must be fairly new to this gpu society...
my old pentium pro mmx 200 had 4mb diamond virge s3...
oneday... s3 will rule this gpu society again...
by the way... anyone saw voodoo6 rescently from ebay?
i want that thing...
March 29, 2006 12:02:16 AM

Quote:

!
Right now, a voodoo3 is worth more to most graphics enthusiasts, than that dump asss GTO you have, and I'm not kidding.
March 29, 2006 12:05:28 AM

Quote:

c'mon dude...
He doesnt know anything about video cards, and he proves it every time he posts.

Some of the best gaming times of my life were spent on a Diamond Viper 550/TnT, and I still had the card up until recently.
March 29, 2006 12:34:13 AM

I'd say my favorite times were with my k62 and Banshee 9850....
Yes folkes, I"m talking about 3DFX (If you havent heard of them, I feel pity for you)

Played CS and the original UT around 800x600....rather fine too. *sigh* I miss those days.

BTW: Its never a good idea to use clue on a heatsink. It acts more
as an insulator than anything else....which isnt good.
March 29, 2006 1:08:48 AM

Quote:

BTW: Its never a good idea to use clue on a heatsink. It acts more
as an insulator than anything else....which isnt good.

Do you know what JB-Weld is? :lol: 
March 29, 2006 1:34:46 AM

Interesting, A month or so ago, I found the solder in all 4 of my 9800AIWs power input pins had 360' circumferential cracks. Stress fractures from cooling fan vibration. Easily fixed but annoying none the less
March 29, 2006 3:03:47 AM

jb weld! lol that would certainly make it permanent...
March 29, 2006 3:23:26 AM

Quote:
jb weld! lol that would certainly make it permanent...

Actually it didnt 8)
March 29, 2006 1:54:25 PM

didn't stick to the chip or the aluminum sink? I guess that would be the case... still funny that you tried! :lol: 
March 29, 2006 2:23:55 PM

"Right now, a voodoo3 is worth more to most graphics enthusiasts, than that dump asss GTO you have, and I'm not kidding."

How much would I get for a highly used Voodoo5?
March 29, 2006 2:31:25 PM

Quote:
Right now, a voodoo3 is worth more to most graphics enthusiasts
How much? I think I have one lying around at home somewhere.....
March 29, 2006 2:53:29 PM

I've got an old geforce 4 4200ti that produces massive artifacts since the fan on the gpu went out. It will start windows but there are so many artifacts, it is useless. Anyone think it is worth it to purchase another gpu cooler & some Artic Silver 5 for it? It was quite a nice card and I miss it :cry:  . The MX440 I'm running now makes me want to vomit.
March 30, 2006 1:14:43 PM

Quote:
Recently I was given a broken Sapphire 9700 Pro. It had horrendous artifacts even under desktop use. Wouldent even run 3DMark03...
Yet the little heatsink sat there and the fan spinned.
I guess about 90% of all people should have tossed the card now.
But I tock the heatsink of, put some new paste on the core, mixed some 2-component glue and glued an old p4 celeron heatsink right on the core.
Now it works perfectly! (and overclocks a lot to!)

I belive that A LOT of graphivs card is simply scrapped due to the crappy original heatsinks.
After 2-3 years of use the fan is full of dust, the paste dried out and the sleave bearing in the fan motor is worn out, so the fans spins a lot slower, if it doesent stop altogether.
With a new heatsink your card can live and prosper! :D 

I had a "dead" X800 XTPE AGP card or so the local computer shopt told me. As per your suggestion I took the card apart, cleaned off all the old thermal paste, re pasted, reassembled, placed card back in the system and voila... she posted like champ. Unfortunately I'd already bougtt a X850 XT on the bay as a replacement. Well, I can either sell it or keep it as back up or upgrade to it and keep this one as back up... Either way, you were right on the money and thanks for the good tip.

Da "I fixed it myself" Worfster
March 30, 2006 2:49:55 PM

Quote:

The Diamond Viper v550 used the TNT1 GPU.

Aka: The nVidia Riva TNT1 GPU.

You saying you've never heard of nVidia ?, it was like their first major GPU release, kicked the Voodoo SLI of the time too, and priced better.

ATI is much, much older than nVidia. (Anyone remmeber 'Tie Fighter Collectors CD-ROM' at 640 x 480 using VESA drivers in DOS for SVGA support ?, That was when ATI held the market, before 3D consumer GPUs. Times have changed).
March 30, 2006 3:08:51 PM

Quote:
I've got an old geforce 4 4200ti that produces massive artifacts since the fan on the gpu went out. It will start windows but there are so many artifacts, it is useless. Anyone think it is worth it to purchase another gpu cooler & some Artic Silver 5 for it? It was quite a nice card and I miss it :cry:  . The MX440 I'm running now makes me want to vomit.

Well you can either do that or go buy a sub-100 6xxx or 7xxx card. Either way the MX440 is shit, dump it.
March 30, 2006 7:05:47 PM

The 250W PSU in the comp. would likely have to be replaced too if I bought a 6 or 7 series card. One thing always leads to another.
March 30, 2006 7:41:25 PM

Quote:

c'mon dude...
must be fairly new to this gpu society...
my old pentium pro mmx 200 had 4mb diamond virge s3...
oneday... s3 will rule this gpu society again...
by the way... anyone saw voodoo6 rescently from ebay?
i want that thing...
I don't know THE DIAMOND because that computer is from 1998, when I was 6 years old. Do you know any 6 year old that gives a damn about computer? Exactly.
April 3, 2006 7:38:19 AM

I've been a Diamond addict myself - they made excellent 2D cards at a time when 3D was CPU only. They were bought out by... Intel I think? No, that was Cirrus Logic. Was Diamond bought by 3DFX, which was bought by Nvidia? I can't remember.

I switched to nVidia by the time an AGP slot had become 'a nice thing to have' - I had the revision 4 of the TnT chip on an Asus v3400 16Mb (first Sideband adressing capable card), linked to an old 3DFX Voodoo 1 card for those games that required Glide. I ditched the 3DFX pretty fast, and kept tweaking the TnT. At the end of its life, it was running Max Payne in 800x600, with a lot of details set to max. I ditched it when it wouldn't run GTA3 better than as a slideshow - it's gathering dust in a cardboard box downstairs. I may just try gluing a better cooler on it and see if it's still kicking - nice test card to have.

Its replacement, an MSI GF4 ti 4200 8x 128 Mb, was also tweaked until the rig it was mounted on ended as a footstool due to lack of room and I built myself a smaller rig with a passively cooled 6600 256 Mb. The cooler came loose, but I recently put it apart, dusted it, washed the heatsink, changed the pase for some AC 5 and glued the cooling block back on. Maybe I can overclock it better now...
April 3, 2006 9:13:17 AM

First thing: Turd without a doubt spend the few bucks to replace the cooling unit on the ti 4200 card. They are still good cards. And it is a HUGE performance increase over a MX card. I am currently running a Leadtek A280 LE TD MyVIVO edition Geforce 4 ti 4200 128 MB 8X AGP card and while I would upgrade it cash permitted. It is still chuggin along at a great pace.

That brings me to my second point. Due to the somewhat massive nature of my cards heatsink (i'm guessing), i am not having vid problems, but i do hear my vid cards fan. And also due to the massive nature it's not an easy replacement. I can't find a fan that will fit and plug directly in. So, i turn to you all for help. A link to pictures and a review of the card is here:
http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/view.php?cid=3&id=599&pg=2

Can you guys take a look at it and see if you can help me find a direct bolt in fan, or do i need to try and contact Leadtek and see about a replacement from them? Any help is much appreciated.

Lastly,
I ran a AMD K6-2 333 oc'd to a 350 so i could use the 100mhz bus, with a Creative Voodoo Blaster Banshee for a really long time. That card was awesome. Although it would heat up playing Unreal Tournament a added cooling fan took care of that. And it kicked out some nice lookin graphics. Kinda miss that card :cry: 

My modem was a Diamond 56K modem though.
April 3, 2006 9:22:53 AM

<--- Proud owner of a v550 and the followup TNT2 v770

They had like 16 MB and 32 MB RAM and that was A LOT back then.
Where do you think Rivatuner got its name?

Fritz
April 3, 2006 9:34:39 AM

you could try removing the fan entirely, and have a 80mm fan mounted close to (not necessarily ON) it: you'd get better cooling and much quieter blowing at the price of a 80mm fan (I would recommend getting a speed adjustable one with sleeve bearing, it's more expensive than generic ones but still pretty cheap) and some real estate loss.

That's a massive cooling block, man. I have the MSI ti4200, its cooler is much smaller.
April 3, 2006 9:40:23 AM

why do you say sleeve over ball bearing?

Also i would prefer an actual replacement for that fan. the way my case is setup installing a 80mm fan next to the card would be hard.

Thanks for the thoughts though
April 3, 2006 9:45:36 AM

whoops - sleeve+gel over ball bearing over sleeve alone, is my order of preference. Although usually much more silent than cheap sleeve bearing, ball bearing can still make itself heard, especially after a long use - in which case it gets irremediably loud.

My recommendation for the moment is Arctic Cooling ceramic bearing: those are SILENT (I have a 120 mm mounted on the CPU, a 150 mm mounted on my case)

If you can't mount a fan on your case, then you could try one of the PCI slot mounted fans. AC also makes nice, not too expensive replacement coolers, you may want to have a look at those.
!