Brother HL-1440 Horizontal White Streaks

henry

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003

Whenever I print something out, I get thin horizontal lines (across the paper
path) without toner - part of a line of text just doesn't appear.

There's plenty of toner, and I'm still on the original drum, total prints about
8500.

Happens even when I print a test page.

I've taken out the toner and drum, separated and inspected both. No apparent
damage to the drum surface. I've always used good paper - 20 lb.

Anybody have any ideas?

Considering that you can buy a new one for $100, is this even worth buy parts
for? Isn't a drum more than that?

Thanks!

Henry

Posted Using Agent 2.0
[to reply, delete the AT]

******************************

Hi Henry,

When you say it happens with the test page, do you mean something like
the Windows driver test page, or the text page built into the printer
that prints even without the printer connected to the computer?

If it's the test page from something like Windows, the problem could be
driver/software related. If the printer has a native dpi and the input
file is some odd number, I have seen white gaps within the output to
compensate for the driver and internal engine incompatibilities.

See if the Brother test pages are showing this defect or not. (usually
available with the printer disconnected from the computer and activated
via a series of button presses while turing the machine on (typically
explained in the manual). If now, then I'm guessing an incompatibility
with the driver or video resolution settings. Try changing the output
resolution of the printer output from the program you are printing from.

Art

Henry wrote:

> Whenever I print something out, I get thin horizontal lines (across the paper
> path) without toner - part of a line of text just doesn't appear.
>
> There's plenty of toner, and I'm still on the original drum, total prints about
> 8500.
>
> Happens even when I print a test page.
>
> I've taken out the toner and drum, separated and inspected both. No apparent
> damage to the drum surface. I've always used good paper - 20 lb.
>
> Anybody have any ideas?
>
> Considering that you can buy a new one for $100, is this even worth buy parts
> for? Isn't a drum more than that?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Henry
>
> Posted Using Agent 2.0
> [to reply, delete the AT]
>
> ******************************

henry

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 12:58:52 GMT, Arthur Entlich <artistic@telus.net> wrote:

>Hi Henry,
>
>When you say it happens with the test page, do you mean something like
>the Windows driver test page, or the text page built into the printer
>that prints even without the printer connected to the computer?

The problem is there regardless of whether is printing a document, a web page,
or anything else.

The test page is the both the Windows driver, and from the Brother utility.

>If it's the test page from something like Windows, the problem could be
>driver/software related. If the printer has a native dpi and the input
>file is some odd number, I have seen white gaps within the output to
>compensate for the driver and internal engine incompatibilities.
>
>See if the Brother test pages are showing this defect or not. (usually
>available with the printer disconnected from the computer and activated
>via a series of button presses while turing the machine on (typically
>explained in the manual). If now, then I'm guessing an incompatibility
>with the driver or video resolution settings. Try changing the output
>resolution of the printer output from the program you are printing from.

Tried all 3 resolutions and get the same thing.

I took out the toner and removed it from the drum unit, and then wiped the drum
with a clean cotton ball. There was nothing obviously on it.

Henry

Posted Using Agent 2.0
[to reply, delete the AT]

******************************

GP

Distinguished
May 22, 2004

Henry wrote:
> Whenever I print something out, I get thin horizontal lines (across the paper
> path) without toner - part of a line of text just doesn't appear.
>
> There's plenty of toner, and I'm still on the original drum, total prints about
> 8500.
>
> Happens even when I print a test page.

http://solutions.brother.com/Library/faq/printer/prfaq0065/prfaq0065.html

Did you call the company for information? I think you'd almost :) be better
off with them as with Enty.

GP

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 19:30:52 -0500, Henry <hziembaAT@comcast.net>
wrote:

>Whenever I print something out, I get thin horizontal lines (across the paper
>path) without toner - part of a line of text just doesn't appear.

Have you tried the 'ol "Carefully bang the toner/drum ensemble against
a flat surface 5-6 times" and then do the shakeroo?

henry

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 01:12:41 -0800, BobbytheBrain <LaLaLand@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>Whenever I print something out, I get thin horizontal lines (across the paper
>>path) without toner - part of a line of text just doesn't appear.
>
>Have you tried the 'ol "Carefully bang the toner/drum ensemble against
>a flat surface 5-6 times" and then do the shakeroo?

Last time I took out the toner/drum combo, I separated the two, and then took a
soft paper towel and gently wiped the whole drum. The white band seems to have
gone away (CROSSED FINGERS!).

The gentle "bang-shake" treatment doesn't sound like a bad idea - it's helped
when I had vertical banding a few years ago on an old HP LJ.

Henry

Posted Using Agent 2.0
[to reply, delete the AT]