Critical_Process_Died in Windows 8 Pro - Lenovo u410

I have looked all over for answers specific to my problem, haven't seen any so here goes.

I purchased a Lenovo u410 back in August and upgraded to Windows 8 Pro a month ago.

Several days ago, I got the Blue Screen of Death with the following error: critical_process_died

Automatic repair does nothing, kicks me to a screen where I have to select a keyboard layout.

From there, I have the option of troubleshooting or just powering down the PC, literally those are the only two options on the screen for me to select.

When I select the troubleshoot option and try to:

Refresh: I get error message "The drive where Windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again?

Reset: "Unable to reset your PC. A required drive partition is missing."

System restore: "To use System Restore, you must specify which Windows installation to restore. Restart this computer, select an operating system, and then select System Restore."

System Image Recovery: "An internal error occurred. The following information might help you resolve the error: The system cannot fin the file specified. (0x800700002)

Automatic repair can't repair the problem (whatever it is)

And then I have the command prompt available. The weird thing here is that it shows up as X:/windows/system32
Is that weird? I am used to C:/windows etc.

I would greatly appreciate your help. Lenovo wants to charge me $89 to send me a disc with Windows 7 on it (and my computer doesn't even have an optical drive :-/) to re-install and then re-upgrade to Windows 8 Pro from there, which seems like way too many hoops to jump through...
4 answers Last reply
More about critical_process_died windows lenovo u410
  1. duplicate post
  2. Lenovo Support Teams SUCK & USELESS when it come to do any troubleshooting like upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8. All they want is to sell you more support packages when they themselves can even answer you any technical questions.
  3. According to this MSDN library article, the error you are receiving is a result of Windows Debuggers and a bug check reporting a stop code. As you will see in the document, there are 3 different causes and suggested preventative measures you can take. It’s always a good idea to boot into safe mode and into the Windows Recovery Environment to attempt to repair the startup volume. From there, presuming the repair is successful, ensure that Windows 8 has all necessary updates. Also, either from within Windows 8 itself, or from within the command prompt option of the Windows Recovery Environment, it would be a good idea to run a chkdsk scan.

Also, when searching for a solution to your problem, I came across this TechNet forums thread in which Arthur Xie from Microsoft’s Contingent Staff suggests performing a clean startup in an effort to determine if background programs are interfering with your applications.

Finally, you might want to check the Support Windows 8 page from the Springboard Series on TechNet for additional troubleshooting resources.

Hope this helps!

Jessica
    Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro
Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration Lenovo Windows 8