Laser printer paper weight advice

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
January 13, 2005 12:58:49 PM

I have a HP 4M+ to do my normal B&W printing and can't fault the old beast,
but I now need to print onto paper heavier than the 120g or so that the HP
can handle without reporting a paper jam.

I need recomendations for a printer that has a fairly straight route for the
A4 paper to travel during the print process so that it can handle heavier
paper (about 180g) ie a top loader. The HP frequently won't even pick up
heavier paper and then it is almost guaranteed to jam somewhere in that
figure "S" route that it takes around the fuser.

A fairly small footprint is a secondry consideration along with price and A5
compatibility. It will be for home use use rather than office volumes.

Cheers,

Binky.
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 1:49:29 PM

The entry level Lexmark colour laser can take 210 GSM card stock.
Even the Minolta 2300 (on special at most places) can accept 160 GSM

Kiah
---------
"Binky" <binky@binkyworld.net> wrote in message
> I have a HP 4M+ to do my normal B&W printing and can't fault the old
beast,
> but I now need to print onto paper heavier than the 120g or so that the HP
> can handle without reporting a paper jam.
>
> I need recomendations for a printer that has a fairly straight route for
the
> A4 paper to travel during the print process so that it can handle heavier
> paper (about 180g) ie a top loader. The HP frequently won't even pick up
> heavier paper and then it is almost guaranteed to jam somewhere in that
> figure "S" route that it takes around the fuser.
>
> A fairly small footprint is a secondry consideration along with price and
A5
> compatibility. It will be for home use use rather than office volumes.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Binky.

January 13, 2005 3:56:22 PM

"One Million Pictures" <million_pics@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> The entry level Lexmark colour laser can take 210 GSM card stock.
> Even the Minolta 2300 (on special at most places) can accept 160 GSM
>
> Kiah

Cheers, I'll have a look.
Related resources
January 13, 2005 6:20:00 PM

Binky,

As I recall, the 4M has the same paper path as the HP4. Open the front and
the back - place your paper on the front tray and press the button on top to
tell it to feed when you have sent the picture to the printer. That's about
as straight as it gets. As for the weight, I've fed some heavy card stock
through mine this way and never had a jam.

Bob S.

"Binky" <binky@binkyworld.net> wrote in message
> I have a HP 4M+ to do my normal B&W printing and can't fault the old
beast,
> but I now need to print onto paper heavier than the 120g or so that the HP
> can handle without reporting a paper jam.
>
> I need recomendations for a printer that has a fairly straight route for
the
> A4 paper to travel during the print process so that it can handle heavier
> paper (about 180g) ie a top loader. The HP frequently won't even pick up
> heavier paper and then it is almost guaranteed to jam somewhere in that
> figure "S" route that it takes around the fuser.
>
> A fairly small footprint is a secondry consideration along with price and
A5
> compatibility. It will be for home use use rather than office volumes.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Binky.

January 14, 2005 5:40:07 PM

Don't you just love Usenet! That's just the sort of tip I was looking for.

Cheers,

Binky.

"BobS" <spam@eliminator.com> wrote in message
> Binky,
>
> As I recall, the 4M has the same paper path as the HP4. Open the front
> and
> the back - place your paper on the front tray and press the button on top
> tell it to feed when you have sent the picture to the printer. That's
> about
> as straight as it gets. As for the weight, I've fed some heavy card stock
> through mine this way and never had a jam.
>
> Bob S.
>

> "Binky" <binky@binkyworld.net> wrote in message
>> I have a HP 4M+ to do my normal B&W printing and can't fault the old
> beast,
>> but I now need to print onto paper heavier than the 120g or so that the
>> HP
>> can handle without reporting a paper jam.
>>
>> I need recomendations for a printer that has a fairly straight route for
> the
>> A4 paper to travel during the print process so that it can handle heavier
>> paper (about 180g) ie a top loader. The HP frequently won't even pick up
>> heavier paper and then it is almost guaranteed to jam somewhere in that
>> figure "S" route that it takes around the fuser.
>>
>> A fairly small footprint is a secondry consideration along with price and
> A5
>> compatibility. It will be for home use use rather than office volumes.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Binky.

Anonymous
January 15, 2005 10:14:51 PM

Hi
The brother hl-660 and hl-630 printers have straight paper paths, the paper is
loaded at the back vertically, and the paper is simply fed downwards to the
front and bottom of the printer.
ian
kasfig@aol.com
!