Installing a Personalized Windows CE 4.2 on iPAQ 4150

October 12, 2004 3:56:11 PM

Hi
I am trying to write an application that has a web browser embedded in
it. This was easy to do for PCs, since I just dragged and dropped the
IE ActiveX control into my app. But for CE, it's a whole different
story. There is no IE ActiveX control in Pocket PC since they come
with PocketIE and not the full version of IE.
Now my question is whether I can make my own CE .NET image using the
evaluation version of Platform Builder 4.2, and install that image on
my iPAQ 4150. Will that mess up anything? (i.e.: the GUI) Will I be
able to use the ActiveX control, assuming I included the full-featured
Internet Explorer in my image?
Thank you people
-Amir
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 9:03:41 PM

Amir Haghighat wrote:

> Hi
> I am trying to write an application that has a web browser embedded in
> it. This was easy to do for PCs, since I just dragged and dropped the
> IE ActiveX control into my app. But for CE, it's a whole different
> story. There is no IE ActiveX control in Pocket PC since they come
> with PocketIE and not the full version of IE.
> Now my question is whether I can make my own CE .NET image using the
> evaluation version of Platform Builder 4.2, and install that image on
> my iPAQ 4150. Will that mess up anything? (i.e.: the GUI) Will I be
> able to use the ActiveX control, assuming I included the full-featured
> Internet Explorer in my image?

I don't think you'd be successful in what you want to do - you'd need
the drivers for the iPAQ, etc. Windows CE does not equal Pocket PC.

Even if you did get it on your device and somehow semi-working, then
you'd run into problems in reverting it back to a Pocket PC.

--
Rob Borek
MCP, Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices