what is as powerful as an xbox 306 in terms of graphics?

Claud3

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Will the specs of the ps3 be published once it is released? I'm thinking about building a rig that will be better than the ps3 in terms of graphics and speeds

nannerla

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
Actually none of them can right now, I dont see any chips oyt therer with 10 megabytes of cache on die. Some of the current chips are getting really close to the same performance such as the radeon xt1900xtx.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Actually none of them can right now, I dont see any chips oyt therer with 10 megabytes of cache on die. Some of the current chips are getting really close to the same performance such as the radeon xt1900xtx.
The xbox 360 is the best value for money in terms of gaming systems. To have a comparable PC, you're going to spend $2000+. You'll spend more on the graphics card for the PC than you'll spend on the 360.

cleeve

Illustrious
A 7800GT would match it on the nVidia side.

That's pretty optimistic in the 7800's favor...

Both the X1900 and XBOX 360 have 48 shader units... the 7800 GT has 20.

Even the 7900 GT and 7900 GTX have 24 shaders, half that of the XBOX 360 and X1900.

In shader heavy stuff (new & upcomign titles), shader power rules. The 7800 GT is most certainly not up to par compared to an X1900.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Well, we know it's not all about shaders. That's only part of the story.

The XBOX just has an ATI GPU right? And it can only be as fast as what was out 6 months ago when the thing was launched. PCs are already on the next generation and faster. The 7900GTX of course blows it away.

But I'm not sure on what ATI chip is exactly in there, just going off common sense here. But I'd take my $350 and put it on a 7900GT card before an XBOX 360 that's for sure. A whole PC system would cost more of course but I've already got that.

cleeve

Illustrious
The XBOX just has an ATI GPU right? And it can only be as fast as what was out 6 months ago when the thing was launched. PCs are already on the next generation and faster. The 7900GTX of course blows it away.

6 months ago, the fastest videocard was the 7800 GTX, and the 7900 is a 7800 GTX with higher clockspeeds.

It's not apples to apples so it's possible to compare, but IMHO if you took the Xbox360 GPU and made a videocard out of it it'd be closer to an X1900 than a 7900.

I put more stock into shader power than you do, sure I'll agree to that. Shaders may be only part of the story, but architecturally it's really all we can compare with. Onboard ram? Memory bus? Not really comperable because of the system specifics.

unsmart

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
Nothing out is on par with the 360. It's got two gpus[ at 500mhz I think] and Unified shaders. I have heard that it's the first DX10 gpu and is beyond sm3.
The thing is it's not just a gpu, the whole thing is a dedicated gaming system. It can't be viewed outside of the whole, if you put it a pc it wouldn't even work as it is.
The x1900 may beat it on paper but will never see optimization. No one out there has a os and game made just for your system. By the time you start really use the cards potential it's old news. Your OS takes up alot of resources Just look at halo and what a pc needed to play it at xbox levels.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
Nothing out is on par with the 360. It's got two gpus[ at 500mhz I think] and Unified shaders. I have heard that it's the first DX10 gpu and is beyond sm3.
The thing is it's not just a gpu, the whole thing is a dedicated gaming system. It can't be viewed outside of the whole, if you put it a pc it wouldn't even work as it is.
The x1900 may beat it on paper but will never see optimization. No one out there has a os and game made just for your system. By the time you start really use the cards potential it's old news. Your OS takes up alot of resources Just look at halo and what a pc needed to play it at xbox levels.

Excellent point concerning Halo on the PC vs. the original X-Box. The original XBox was a lowly Pentium 3 (either a 700 or 733) with 64 MB of RAM that was shared with a video card that was about equal to a GeForce3. If you think a PC with those specs will play Halo or Halo 2... well, you're living on another planet.

cleeve

Illustrious
The original XBox was a lowly Pentium 3 (either a 700 or 733) with 64 MB of RAM that was shared with a video card that was about equal to a GeForce3. If you think a PC with those specs will play Halo or Halo 2... well, you're living on another planet.

Actually, if memory serves the original Xbox was a Celeron, not a P3 (!).

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
Detailed specifications
CPU: Micro PGA2 733 MHz Intel Coppermine Core. Basically a Pentium III.
Intel IA-32 instruction set
SIMD: SSE. Four single-precision floating-point numbers in one instruction.
Theoretical maximum 4 FLOPS/cycle (2.9 gigaFLOPS for Xbox)
Pentium III had architectural drawbacks that lessened real-world SSE throughput.
SIMD: MMX. Integer functions. Switching between FPU and MMX is slow, so not of great use for 3D rendering tasks. Often used for audio and video.
133 MHz FSB. Same as fastest Pentium III EB CPUs.
32 kB L1 cache. 128 kB L2 Advanced Transfer Cache (256-bit). Same size as Celeron, but 8-way associative like Pentium III E.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
In all other respects it is a P3. Since that's the only Celeron specific trait I'm sticking with my original analysis. The 133 FSB wasn't found on Celerons until much later. Give it up old timer!

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
In all other respects it is a P3. Since that's the only Celeron specific trait I'm sticking with my original analysis. The 133 FSB wasn't found on Celerons until much later. Give it up old timer!

What I don't understand is why the hell are you guys arguing about the specs of the XBOX?

And I prefer to play games on a PC rather than a console. But here's my logic on why a console is a better value than buying a new gfx card for my PC.

Right now:
XBOX 360 $400
7900GT $300
Antec TPII $100
XBOX 360 Game (NFS:MW) $60
PC Game (NFS:MW) $0 (I already have it)
PC is cheaper

Two years from now:
XBOX 360 $0
8900XTG (or whatever is second best) $300
Conroe CPU (my P4 will be 4 yrs. old and obselete by then) $300
Conroe Mobo $100
2GB DDR2 $100
X360 game (NFS:LW least wanted :) $70(!)
PC Game (NFS:LW) $40
XBOX 360 is cheaper

Five years from now:
XBOX 540 $500
New PC $1500

An XBOX 360's CPU won't be obselete until the next XBOX comes out. Same with the XBOX graphics card. Buying the latest and greatest graphics card for a CPU is $300+ a pop. And then, a year later, the rest of the system will be obselete.

Even though I've always played PC games, I'm considering an XBOX 360 rather than a new graphics card to replace my shitty x600. I'll hook the XBOX 360 up to my LCD with one of those adapters that they sell.

SciPunk

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Game consoles are budget, regardless how much they cost. Keep in mind, to fully enjoy XBOX360, you need a HDTV, if you don't have one, you will probably buy one. A good one costs about $1000 (here in Canada), plus the 360, it'll end up costing as much as new rig. I'll say PCs are better than gaming consoles, but it's personal preference.

And you wouldn't want this same monitor on your PC becuase ???

If your going to count the cost of an HD TV in the price of XBOX360, why don't you discount the price of a 19" Viewsonic LCD for every XBOX owner who just hooked it up to his already owned TV.

Let's try to compare apples to apples. If you look at cost per performance basis, XBOX blows away the PC. Just look at frames per second divided by dollars spent.

But of course, I'd like to see someone do their taxes on XBOX.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Game consoles are budget, regardless how much they cost. Keep in mind, to fully enjoy XBOX360, you need a HDTV, if you don't have one, you will probably buy one. A good one costs about $1000 (here in Canada), plus the 360, it'll end up costing as much as new rig. I'll say PCs are better than gaming consoles, but it's personal preference.

And you wouldn't want this same monitor on your PC becuase ???

If your going to count the cost of an HD TV in the price of XBOX360, why don't you discount the price of a 19" Viewsonic LCD for every XBOX owner who just hooked it up to his already owned TV.

Let's try to compare apples to apples. If you look at cost per performance basis, XBOX blows away the PC. Just look at frames per second divided by dollars spent.

But of course, I'd like to see someone do their taxes on XBOX.

The best solution would be to build yourself an $800 PC and buy a $400 X360. Then get a $1800 HDTV. All for the price of a gaming PC.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
Specs are similar to the X1900 XT... not sure about clockspeeds, maybe the XTX is closer.
Interesting...
Processing Powerhouse

The custom-designed Xbox 360 central processing unit (CPU) runs at a breakneck speed, thanks to its three separate core processors that clock in at 3.2 GHz each.

Xbox 360 boasts a custom ATI graphics processor that clocks in at a blistering 500 MHz. If you want to get even more technical (and who doesn't?) Xbox 360 can take advantage of more than four times as many polygons as the original Xbox® console, and more than four times (seeing a pattern here?) the number of pixels per second.
With your understanding, the X1900 XT is only 4X as powerful than a Geforce 3.