AMD vs intel -- THE STAKES GET HIGHER

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Rottinghaus said he thinks AMD stock will rise as long as the company continues to gain share against Intel and the PC industry looks healthy.

That right there says it all. I think it's awesome that AMD has made great gains against Intel. AMD can and will compete stronger now because they have more capital.

The question remains though, how will they do once Conroe comes out and since they still don't have the manufacturing capabilities as Intel does.

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
Intel won't do it Pentium EE Squeezes 3.73 GHz Out of NetBurst vs the fx 60. intel just cant get it right AMD is power sort of like having a stock 10 speed bike sitting beside a viper xs racing car.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
The question remains though, how will they do once Conroe comes out and since they still don't have the manufacturing capabilities as Intel does.

It's called Fab36 and K8L.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time

uber_g

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2006
y do people still make the INTEL vs AMD post ?

ugh

dont people watch T.v or go outside rather then spend time trying to figure out witch CPU company is the best -i understand if u work for a major corperation to find price/perf ... but cmon !

speedemon

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
:!:all AMD needs to do is change to 65 and raise clock speeds maybe a faster htt. ddr2 is better for overclocking, that should help :!:

erjerber

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
I hope both companies survive, and continue making great processors. Bot sides have their ups and downs, and I will be smart and go with the better CPU that is going around at the time, no gay fanboy judgement will come into my decisions. Quit having pointless debates over what is better and blah blah blah.

FFS nubs.

mechluke

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
Madmod i think that you should admit that amd has no answer for the CONROE chip at least by the time that conroe is released.I personally think that amd didn't wait that the upcoming conroe chip would be so fast and now the time is running against amd.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Madmod i think that you should admit that amd has no answer for the CONROE chip at least by the time that conroe is released.I personally think that amd didn't wait that the upcoming conroe chip would be so fast and now the time is running against amd.

An Answer to Conroe? I feel insulted that somebody asked such a question...

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I think it clearly appears Intel will lead for more than 1 year unless AMD pulls some punches quickly.

Hmm...everybody is forgetting alot of important things, but I will let you all figure it out but I doubt anybody will..... :?

WINDSHEAR

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
I think it clearly appears Intel will lead for more than 1 year unless AMD pulls some punches quickly.

Hmm...everybody is forgetting alot of important things, but I will let you all figure it out but I doubt anybody will..... :?

AM2 is no answer to Conroe... DDR2 just doesn't make the punch *shakes head*

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006

AM2 is no answer to Conroe... DDR2 just doesn't make the punch *shakes head*

Socket AM2 is the least of Intel's worries, there's more important technologies coming.

TurricaN_BEL_

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
I'm not a fanboy but....
K8L
'DROOL'
I cant wait to get my hands on a quad core...........
M2 wont change the world for AMD , for now
DDR2 cant change alot and as alot of people mention the A64 isnt exactly bandwith starved.
I'll hang on to my trusty 3500+ for the moment
but after a die schrink and quad core i'll be ready for the major jump.
I think 2007 will be a very interesting year.
Offcourse if Intel does live up to its enormous Conroe hype ..i might consider going that route , as long as that fits my wallet , no problem..
The one who makes the best CPU gets my cash....for sure.
:)

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I just grabbed an Opty 165, DDR500 2GB RAM, and an x1900XTX, I don't plan to upgrade until DirectX 10 in early 2007, and most people should just wait until Quad-Core and grab a cheap Dual-Core w/ a DX10 card and they're set for another 2-3 years.

Stimpy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2001
AMD have not even stated that AM2 is going to bring massive improvements, that it is mearly a technology enbler for future CPUs.
Look at their roadmap, the CPU frequency and ratings ratios are staying the same. There current roadmap even shows the 5400+ being the fastest non FX processor into 2008.
However I bet the roadmap will change, when AM2 is finally released, but for the time being they are keeping overly quiet.
They must have being some development in the last three years since AMD64 was released, there havn't been that many changes,
i.e. dual core (designed from the start to be dual core capable), frequency (more down to manufacturing) and a few minor MC tweaks.
With 65nm coming online soon plus the other manufacturig deals, I bet prices will come down quite radically, they may well forgo the highend,
but keep a very good position in the low to medium performance sectors,
until most desktop software is truley multi threaded, then they'll be able to bring the opteron technology to the desktop, i.e. quad core, (Z-RAM maybe),

TurricaN_BEL_

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Yeah MadMod , maybe thats true but I really dig the quad cores 'cause i'm a guy who like to do a lot of things at once.
And I dont like to wait....not one picosecond :lol:
I stall/slow my system down to a crawl everytime when trying to run some game and a couple of demanding proggies. :(
So I hope these babys will relieve me of that stress...
As of the rumours that single cores are better then dual-quad I have only one thing to say ....more and more games are optimised for them and there's nothing a good dose of O/C ing cant help.
I know I wont be going dual core...no siree , not me :p
The more cores , the better I can balance the load, the more the merrier

TurricaN_BEL_

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Stimpy.......
Its not because AMD doesnt brag and shows off like Intel it doesnt have to mean that they arent ready for them....
Theyre just letting Intel be for the time being....until they can finally dish out some serious whoopass.....
Its like in boxing kinda.....dont waste too much energy , just wait for the right moment and then :twisted:

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Yea, more CPU's = more fun! :D

I love not waiting for things, I'm such an impatient man that's why I made the impulsive decision and grabbed the Opty 165, hehehehe.

I love workin' with SMP systems, I can do soooo many things at once and not be bogged down by stupid single-core CPU's (hehhehe).

TurricaN_BEL_

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
MadMod
You lucky bastard....
I could upgrade to an Opty 165 as I got an s939 board.....
But there are 2 things hampering me for the moment......
I'm still stuck with an AGP8X board so if I would upgrade I would have to upgrade my mobo too cuz I like to do things right
Besides I just spent my just money on a 7800GS to replace my X800Pro , and sit it out till mid 2007.
I'm not so rich and I have another big hobby of mine , motorcycles and trikes......
I'm saving to get me a nice Harly Fat Boy and get it coverted to a trike(for my wife)
In life you just cant have everything :cry: