Sign in with
Your question

Uhmm.. anyone got same Problem with Oblivion ?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 28, 2006 6:55:23 PM

Hi there!

Well got my copy of oblivion yay! ;>
been playing it for like 5 hours.. but 3mins at the time.. the game goes black.. the screen kinda disapears.. but menu's are still there lol..

Im running :
Asus A8N-SLI Del , AMD 64 4400x2, 4096 RAM , 2x 200gb Sata Raid 0 , Gforce - 6800 Ultra GS .. And Running Window Xp X64

I've Installed new forceware drivers for my MBoard.. and Installed Forceware 84.21 for my Graphic Card... think i've tried all drivers for it.. and Still Oblivion hates me..

Anyone who knows what the problem could be? or heard of others with same problem ?

More about : uhmm problem oblivion

March 28, 2006 7:20:14 PM

Have you tried running it under 32-bit XP compatiblity mode?

I'm running my copy of Oblivion on 64 bit XP w/compatiblity mode with no problems, and I have a similar system.

Hope that helps!

-Bre
March 28, 2006 7:28:26 PM

Im kinda new to the 64-bit OS.. where do i switch it too 32-bit ? :p 
Related resources
March 28, 2006 7:38:55 PM

Right click on the Oblivion Short Cut(easist pace to change this) select Properties, the Third Tap at the top will say Compatibility, select this tab, then there will be a check box that say "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" select this check box, then on the drop down menu chose Windows XP.

I was haveing problems with Tribes: Vengence and I did this and it cleared up the problems I was haveing.

Hope that helps.

-Bre
March 28, 2006 8:02:39 PM

Tnx alot, ill try it out ;>
March 28, 2006 8:37:08 PM

Also have you checked to see if there are any Oblivion patches?
March 28, 2006 8:42:27 PM

There is no patches yet :(  I checked the offical Forums, Apparantly theres a whole bunch with the same problem.. something wrong with Nvidia driver.
March 28, 2006 8:52:00 PM

Quote:
There is no patches yet :(  I checked the offical Forums, Apparantly theres a whole bunch with the same problem.. something wrong with Nvidia driver.

:-(

I guess I'll wait for the patch before I get mine :-)
March 28, 2006 9:08:55 PM

I have oblivion running on XP x64... but I have an ATI card... so I have no problems... could be the drivers, so I guess you'll either have to wait for nVidia to release better drivers, or for Bethesda to release a patch to bring things up to speed for nvidia users.
March 28, 2006 9:26:19 PM

If you are running XP 64 then you should try getting the proper drivers for it.

You can get 'em here.

I don't think nvidia released a beta driver so XP 64. I have the 84.25 beta drivers and it solved all the problems that I had including the same one you had. Try those different drivers out and make sure you completly uninstall your current drivers before installing new ones.
March 28, 2006 9:55:20 PM

I run an AIW X1900 with Catalyst 6.3, and I get a lot of random crashes as well. Apparently if you check out the oblivion forums, this is a pretty common thing. The only fix I have seen so far is to wait for them to release a patch. :x
a b U Graphics card
March 28, 2006 10:13:25 PM

So you're on AMD64 with XP64 as well?

Interesting issue.

For Morrowind, it was rock solid on W98SE and Win2K, but then install it on an XP machine an BAM random lock-ups and crashes. Very weird considering the similarity of XP and Win2K. They never did fix that problem to this day, you play for hours at a time and then crash, you got used to it or dual booted (which is what I did [just for 1 game, now that's love :tongue: ]).

I sure hope this isn't as much of a problem.
March 28, 2006 10:15:40 PM

I am on an opty 165, XP 32 (haven't reinstalled 64 since my upgrade).

I remember the morrowdin issues, hope this isn't a repeat.
March 29, 2006 12:21:52 AM

Morrowind would crash on me several times a day :-(

Still a great game :-D but the crashes were really annoying.... :cry: 
March 29, 2006 2:13:52 AM

well just got too wait for the 84.25 x64 Driver .. and hope that it works :>
March 30, 2006 12:23:49 AM

I didn't realize Oblivion was so "64 bit" !!
Time to get a 64 bit CPU, 64 bit OS, 64 bit Drivers.

Ok, with all that, is there any improvement over old 32bit CPU/XP?
Improvement in quality or speed?
thanks!
March 30, 2006 9:48:44 PM

Well, in my case everything runs smoother and faster. love it ;>

Btw, no more blackscreens! :D  not a driver issue..

Actually it was Overheating.. I checked my Graphic card, and it looked like a dustball seriously.

each time my GPU temp reached 93degree's , Blackscreen..
After i cleaned it, the temp. is max 61 degree's.. and no blackscreen..

So guys! Clean ur graphic card's reguarly! :D 
March 30, 2006 9:56:33 PM

Quote:
Well, in my case everything runs smoother and faster. love it ;>

Btw, no more blackscreens! :D  not a driver issue..

Actually it was Overheating.. I checked my Graphic card, and it looked like a dustball seriously.

each time my GPU temp reached 93degree's , Blackscreen..
After i cleaned it, the temp. is max 61 degree's.. and no blackscreen..

So guys! Clean ur graphic card's reguarly! :D 

Ya dust will do that :-(
March 30, 2006 10:27:33 PM

I have been playing Oblivion for NUMEROUS hours, and recently I started getting crashes. It played absolutely fine up until a few days ago. Now I see BSODs, "unknown" driver crashes, etc. Been searching the web for fixes, and it seems the PC version has a lot of probs. There is no official patch yet, but nVidia has released a beta driver b/c of Oblivion. I also updated my X-Fi drivers and the MB Bios. I even added some fans to my rig b/c of slightly high GPUs heat, and the fact that my stock cooler on the CPU was blowing FULL bore, which was quite LOUD. Two 120mm fans blowing directly on the GPUs and the MB/CPU solved that problem. They are MUCH quieter than the CPU heatsink fan. Only thing I was wondering about is the fact that I have 3 intake and 1 (+1 psu) exhaust fan. I know the rule of thumb is to have more exhaust than intake, but with all the vent ports on the Tai-Chi I figured this setup was best. I'm guessing that they are working hard on on a patch to try to fix most problems. I read some different posts around the web that the 360 version was their highest priority as far as super-stable gameplay, and that the PC version got less attention because they could create a patch to fix any problems.

I absolutely LOVE this game, and am eagerly looking foreward to fixing all the issues I am having with it now.

Fritz
March 31, 2006 2:21:53 PM

Well I got a similar problem.

Asus A8N-SLI, Point of View Gforce 6800 Ultra , AMD64-3000, XP 32bit.

Well I runs ok, and I don't get a black screen. But some characters show up like in the movie hollowman - or like the fluied robot in Terminator 2 hehe. If you kill them, they can be showed normally again. What the h... is wrong?
March 31, 2006 10:28:32 PM

When i first installed Oblivion it ran like a champ with no problems, but then i saw a link on the Guru3D site for 84.21 x64 bit drivers and tried them (you can't get them on the Nvidia site even in the x64 or beta archives pages, 81.98 or something like that is the newest listed official driver i could find) and i started having all kinds of problems. i reverted back using DC and all my problems have gone away now. Not sure if anything beyond 81.xx is really an Nvidia driver or someone's "tweaked" driver.
a b U Graphics card
March 31, 2006 10:50:11 PM

84.21 are actual 64bit drivers I can't remember where they come from, but I do remember them being available at the same time, they're someone like DELL's IIRC. nVzone, nV's leak/beta site only has the 82.12 sofar for X64.
June 10, 2008 10:20:53 PM

I have the nVidia Black Screen Bug, and after much research and testing, I eventually found a way to fix it. This post is a compilation of fixes I found on the internet, and it ends with the fix I discovered that finally worked. Hopefully this guide will help anyone else who has the nVidia Black Screen Bug.

1. What is the nVidia Black Screen Bug?

In order to run into the nVidia Black Screen Bug, you must be playing Oblivion with HDR Lighting enabled, and you usually must have an nVidia series 7 or 8 graphics card.
The bug looks like this: You're doing something in oblivion, when suddenly the world goes black. You still have the user interface, you still have sound, and if you turn or walk, the compass and sound indicate that the game is still running. If you exit to the main menu, and load any game, the world will still be black. You have to quit Oblivion and start it again before you can see again.

2. How can I fix the bug?

This is where it gets tricky. While the above description seems universal for anyone who has the bug, different fixes work for different people. Here's a list of all the fixes I've found, but I recommend that you read this entire post before attempting any fixes:

a. Disable HDR Lighting. This works for everyone, but makes the game look like crap.

b. When you run into the bug, turn your character around (180 degrees), type either ` or ~ to open the console, type "cal" (without the quotes), hit enter, and type either ` or ~ to close the console. This will allow you to see again, however it will not prevent you from running into the bug again.

c. Tweak your video settings in Oblivion. Put every bar at half way. Some people find that the bug only occurs when specific bars are at full or zero.

d. Disable all your mods. It's possible a mod could be causing the problem.

e. Use one of the following mods: <http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=11167&gt; or <http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=13632&gt;. These mods use different techniques to attempt to solve the problem. Try each of them.

f. Update your graphics card driver.

g. Disable overclocking on your card. In fact, try underclocking too.

h. Clean the dust off your graphics card. Seriously. If your graphics card is overheating it could cause this problem.

i. Reflash your bios. (I've heard this suggested several times, but haven’t seen someone fix the problem this way yet.)

3. None of the above fixes worked (except for "a"). What do I do now?

None of those fixes worked for me either. Here's some more information on exactly how my version of the bug works:

If I go to "Sideways Cave" (directly east of the Imperial City Prison), as soon as the door at the entrance of the cave loads (when I'm looking towards it), I get the black screen. Every single time without fail. In the video options, HDR Lighting must be enabled for this to happen, but no other options affect the bug. If I turn "Object Fade" all the way down, I have to be quite close to the door before it loads and I get a black screen. The higher the "Object Fade" bar is, the farther away from the door I have to be to not get a black screen.

Frustrated that I could not find a fix, I uninstalled everything on my computer that was oblivion related. Then I deleted the program folders. Next I installed Oblivion and checked for the bug. The bug was gone! Then I installed The Official Oblivion Patch (v1.2.0416), Oblivion Script Extender (v0014a), and Oblivion Mod Manager (1.1.9) without the bug showing up.

Then I installed The Unofficial Oblivion Patch (v3.0.0), and the bug was back! Disabling The Unofficial Oblivion Patch did not stop the bug. However, uninstalling it did stop the bug. You can uninstall The Unofficial Oblivion Patch by using the windows uninstaller in the control panel (It's called "Unofficial Oblivion Patch v3.0.0") or by going to "Start > Programs > Unofficial Oblivion Patch > Uninstall".

I hope this guide helps, and that you finally find a fix to your problem.

-Dave
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 10, 2008 10:46:11 PM

dave start a new topic... this one is 2 years old honestly...
a b U Graphics card
June 11, 2008 4:24:02 AM

But this problem still exists, thanx Dave
!