Sign in with
Your question
Closed

IS XFX A QUALITY VIDEO CARD OR PROBLEMATIC?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 28, 2006 10:17:57 PM

since when does any company have good customer support. i use xfx and have had no problems, when it comes to computers, customer support always sucks lol.
March 28, 2006 10:44:06 PM

Quote:
since when does any company have good customer support. i use xfx and have had no problems, when it comes to computers, customer support always sucks lol.
- Amen to that
Related resources
March 28, 2006 11:29:25 PM

I guess that answers that! lol!
March 29, 2006 12:18:35 AM

http://www.xfxforce.com/forums/index.jspa?categoryID=1

Go into geforce 6 series or 7 series and look at the world of pain.. I would consider another brand.

It's not like evga and msi and other brands don't have their fair share of problems, but xfx forums are devoted to these problems literally. Page after page of problems with 6 and 7 series cards. I personally would never buy a xfx card ever.
March 29, 2006 12:26:28 AM

I can say that I had MUCH better luck out of my XFX card than my eVGA. Their support people were giving me some misinformation.
March 29, 2006 12:30:31 AM

On contrast to my negative post about xfx, most of the unsatisfied customers did get a rma and did get some customer service. Lifetime warranty on cards are always nice.
March 29, 2006 12:40:40 AM

ugh whatever happen to overclocking onboard video ....

j/k

-they sell xfx at Wal-Mart

nuff said
March 29, 2006 1:03:51 AM

only problem had with an XFX vidcard: fan needed frequent maintenance or wouldn't work

altough...I'd go for an EVGA solution instead...
March 29, 2006 1:11:56 AM

XFX used to be a company named Pine, I think they're a Korean company.

Up until recently, I've considered them to be the utmost in crap, but many are purchasing them now.

Maybe the company changed hands again :?
March 29, 2006 1:27:45 AM

Quote:
I READ A HORROR ABOUT THEIR (lack of)CUSTOMER SUPPORT.BEFORE I BUY 2 6800 EXTREMES I NEED YOUR HELP!
THANKS TO ALL THAT REPLY!

Cant be as Bad as ATIs customer support.
Standard ATI answer: "its some one elses fault, not ours"
March 29, 2006 1:54:44 AM

I purchased 2 xfx 7800gt's and had nothing but problems with them. Overheating and crashing. Had to RMA them, received used cards for the RMA's, still coated in dust from the previous owner. The fans were extremely loud and wouldn't slow down even with the drivers installed. Customer service was horrendous, and I will never deal with them again. I sold the 2 XFX cards and purchased EVGA 7800GT's, which were higher clocked out of the box. didn't have one problem with them. Also have the stepup program, which allowed me to exchange them for 2 7900GT superclocked. Have them in my system now. They also have a lifetime warranty. Stay away from XFX if you don't want a shitload of headaches.
March 29, 2006 10:30:53 AM

My experience was completely opposite.My xfx 7800gt oc ran great and my eVGA 7900GT stinks.It won't even get me to the POST screen.Support hasn't a clue.
March 29, 2006 11:14:06 AM

Quote:
It's not like evga and msi and other brands don't have their fair share of problems, but xfx forums are devoted to these problems literally.

How often do people go to company forums when they're _not_ having problems?
March 29, 2006 11:40:24 AM

Quote:

It's not like evga and msi and other brands don't have their fair share of problems, but xfx forums are devoted to these problems literally. Page after page of problems with 6 and 7 series cards. I personally would never buy a xfx card ever.

Yeah because I mean 95% of diagnostics forum posts should read "Yeah, it works great, no problems at all". :p 

Dude, XFX cards are in my top 3 brands of choice, and for technical reasons (higher spec, better build quality, warranty, price, etc).

March 29, 2006 12:21:34 PM

XFX is one of the better graphics card makers (actually only eVGA is better).
March 29, 2006 12:39:56 PM

I've had zero problems out of my XFX 7800 GTX... it was an easy OC to 490/1.32. Had it for nearly 9 months now... so far so good.

To me price is more important than support.
March 29, 2006 12:59:20 PM

XFX and BFG are basically the same company from what I've heard
(if I'm wrong I'm sure I'll be corrected here...)
XFX offers a Double Lifetime Warranty on new products,
doubling or 'besting' the BFG Lifetime warranty.
They will repair or replace product free of charge,
as long as it's registered.
And if you sell the XFX card they will honor the warranty to the next owner as long as the new owner registers the XFX product.
Dosen't sound too bad as long as they do it!
XFX is hard to find it seems (Wal-mart sells the old stuff)but BFG is definitely out there.
March 29, 2006 1:05:23 PM

EVGA is making people download/purchase the PureVideo codec and does not include NVDVD or ANYthing in the box of the new cards.
That Sucks.
(check 'Legit Reviews' on the XFX 7600GT xxx.
it'll tell you)
a b U Graphics card
March 29, 2006 1:22:07 PM

Quote:
XFX is one of the better graphics card makers (actually only eVGA is better).

What crack pipe are you smoking from?

eVGA and XFX are both subpar boards that come factory overclocked. By subpar I mean they use cheaper components and both there forums are filled with peeps having issues. The Superclocked and XxX version often display artifacts in certain games (as no two games stress a GPU core the same way). What I mean by this is that Doom3 might well VERY well at the factory overclocked settings... while FarCry may display a bunch of artifacts and Battlefield2 may display a blank screen.

These cards are crap, not properly tested and it's like a pick of the straw. Sure they're faster (cuz they're pre-overclocked) but it's just like trying to overclock them yourself. They're not handpicked cores and they're not using a better cooling system then other competing boards.

When buying a Graphics card, the best factory overclocked cards are from BFG. But I would preffer buying a card from a trusted name (meaning a company that is known to sell higher quality parts) such as Asus, MSI and Gigabyte (the BIG 3). They sell in larger volume and there boards are normally a tad more expensive... but you know what they say... you get what you pay for.

Of course the highest quality cards are not nVIDIA but rather ATi. Sapphire, Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, and ATi themselves (Visiontek as well) offer the highest quality boards.

Get your money's worth.. don't buy into the hype. Quality is number 1. If you preffer nVIDIA get one of the boards from one of the big 3... if you preffer ATi.. your choices suddenly get bigger (As ATi maintains stricter control over the quality of the boards 3rd party vendors are allowed to sell).

Your call.
March 29, 2006 1:37:42 PM

Quote:
I READ A HORROR ABOUT THEIR (lack of)CUSTOMER SUPPORT.BEFORE I BUY 2 6800 EXTREMES I NEED YOUR HELP!

I've only had good experiences with ATI customer service (after the initial Bot response) and I come from a 3rd world country so you guys in the US and Canada would have much better service I would think.
a b U Graphics card
March 29, 2006 1:54:56 PM

Quote:

I've only had good experiences with ATI customer service (after the initial Bot response) and I come from a 3rd world country so you guys in the US and Canada would have much better service I would think.

We do.. ATi doesn't fool around with you like this poster stated. I think he's a Fanboy or something.

You send in the card and you get a brand new card or a better newer card in exchange. I sent in my 9700 Pro and received a 9800XT. No fooling around or jerking around.

Then there's the fact that ATi boards only go bad if you overclock the hell out of them, poor water on them or urinate on them. They're not wussy at all.
March 29, 2006 2:43:19 PM

No problems here and this baby will do 465/1175 no problem and it's just a 6800 GT.
Support, no problem either, have had to send back one from a customer and it was returned in less than a week. I guess it's different for everyone.
March 29, 2006 7:56:01 PM

I totally agree with you. And I love the little cartoon :lol: 
March 29, 2006 8:07:32 PM

Good point. But here in Australia XFX is pretty good. In fact I am inclined to say that, at times the ASUS has done real bad and at other times, they are really great. Yes ASUS and the other 2 are more exy (expensive) and you do get what you pay for.
In the ATI, Saphire is good Gecube seems to be making headway in sales. They seem to get the cards out quicker on the market than the other ATi companies.

So, in a nutshell, thats what happens in Australia? :wink:

And.......... Put a shrimp on the Barbie Mate!!!
March 29, 2006 8:30:51 PM

delete double post
March 29, 2006 8:40:13 PM

Quote:

Yeah because I mean 95% of diagnostics forum posts should read "Yeah, it works great, no problems at all". :p 

Dude, XFX cards are in my top 3 brands of choice, and for technical reasons (higher spec, better build quality, warranty, price, etc).

Quote:
It's not like evga and msi and other brands don't have their fair share of problems, but xfx forums are devoted to these problems literally.

How often do people go to company forums when they're _not_ having problems?

I think some users have misinterpreted my post on the forums for xfx. I say all forums have their fair share of issue threads. I didn't say it wasn't for problems, what I said was that it was more evident in the xfx forums more so than the other brands.

On another note, I find that cartoon offensive to me because you say it as if I have no life outside the computer. I will admit however, that computers are my hobby of choice. The only reason I go on the xfx or any manufacturer forums is to find problems within the brands I was considering as my next purchase on video cards which is this week. I find amazing when people are soo quick to judge people when they themseleves do not have the slightest clue why people do such things. I guess it is now very wrong to do some brand research before buying. Oh well I guess I have to be a dumb consumer and buy some crap brand I have never heard of or used before.
March 29, 2006 8:47:03 PM

Quote:
Then there's the fact that they only go bad if you overclock the hell out of them or urinate on them. They're not wusy at all.

LMAO! :wink:
March 29, 2006 9:11:36 PM

MSI may be in the big three but....I was told i would have a 1 month turnaround on my card if i were to rma it....it was my first card in my first computer (a GF4-Ti-4200 128mb the 4x one) which meant a month without a computer.....i could handle a week or even 2 but a month? anyway it didnt matter it was a stupid game setting and boy am i glad i didnt send it in. I'd have waited a month for nothing.

So my opinion is if they have a good warranty with a good turnaround on RMA's then who cares what the name of it is...like 3 years ago who ever heard of BFG? they are kinda new but have proven themselves worthy by really giving customer support(ive never owned one but have two friends that have and have rma'd) both said it was fast and werent hassled at all

one of the two had an older card a 4200 this was 2005 when he rma'd it..he said it was the third fan that died and they gladly fixed and he had it back in under 2 weeks

all in all just because ASUS and MSI are big names doesnt mean squat if the stuff is tempermental and the support is almost nonexistant

sorry for being long winded

edit: i'd like to add that if you have issues when you get the card then that responsibilty falls on the resellers not the manufacturer(sp?) and its where it can be more important where you buy it...some places are horribly slow and sometimes just plain dont want to correct the problem.
March 30, 2006 2:21:45 AM

Quote:

We do.. ATi doesn't fool around with you like this poster stated. I think he's a Fanboy or something.

You send in the card and you get a brand new card or a better newer card in exchange. I sent in my 9700 Pro and received a 9800XT. No fooling around or jerking around.

Then there's the fact that ATi boards only go bad if you overclock the hell out of them, poor water on them or urinate on them. They're not wussy at all.

Nope, not a fanboy, at least not of Nvidia chipped cards. Never used one. Im on my 3rd ATI AIW, and my next card will be another ATI AIW. They have the features I want. Simple. But ATI has been notoriuos in the past for concentrating on pumping products out the door and then dropping the ball. They've made great strides to improve their customer support over the past 2 years, but it still sucks (relative to others) and they still tend to default to "its not our fault" . When I say this, I am speaking in reference to their software(MMC) and drivers, not the hardware. Ive only ever had one hardware problem with any of their cards. That was stress fractures in the power coupling solder joints caused by vibration from the GPU fan. I didnt even bother contacting ATI about that as it took me 2 seconds to fix (once the soldering iron heated up) Even their notoriously hot and reportedly problematic AIW8500DV still runs flawlessly for me. In fact, its video quality (DVD, TV, MPG )still beats my 9800AIW.

As such, I have NO experiance base what so ever with regards to their hardware customer support, and keeping that in mind, my statement was not regarding hardware support, only software/driver.
March 30, 2006 5:36:51 AM

Quote:

well.. maybe ati's board itself is good...
but one thing for sure... their fan SUX...
i had 3 ati cards built by ati;
all of them fan died in about 2 yrs...
everytime ati's answer was "that's not covered in our warranty, it's not product fault, we cannot do anything about it..."
they're talkin' it's my problem that i bought that damn cards.
what the hell kind of response is this?
from that point on, i left ati to the hell.
i dunno if u got a goooood response from ati;
maybe u were lucky... or i was unlucky for 3 times...
March 30, 2006 6:06:32 AM

I love BFG cards have bought two BFG 6800 ultras and four BFG 7800 Gtx cards in the last two years, all are top notch. Their lifetime warranty is great tool.
March 30, 2006 8:46:06 AM

how about you all stop trying to get more posts

Quote:

what i stated above is correct, and you guys just proved it.
it doesnt matter what company you go with cause every sucker here will tell you that they have had a bad experiance with customer support with atleast one of the brands then claim that the whole thing is a mess. there are people in call centers that are just reading of a computer screen and dont kno a thing about what there actually doing, companies leave the extra knowledge upto the call center person.

link to FOAMY the squirrel dealing with tech support

http://www.scarysquirrel.org/special/movies/foamy/tech2...
March 30, 2006 11:28:33 AM

I'd say stay away from XFX, especially if they are really korean. I tried a korean game, and it was horrible.
March 30, 2006 12:07:22 PM

Quote:

link to FOAMY the squirrel dealing with tech support

http://www.scarysquirrel.org/special/movies/foamy/tech2...

With regards to FOAMY the squirrel I have delt with several customers that have not turned on the power supply and they get very angry when their computer doesn't work :lol: 
November 17, 2009 5:54:18 PM

my XFX 9800gt just died memory failure coz of heat the service said, anyway, last week a friend took his ATI 4770 to my house to test it coz its fan would not start and over heat the damn card, it is XFX as well, today i told a friend about my dead card, and he told me that his brother's also got broken coz the fan in it stopped working and the whole thing melted down to the ground.. it was a 9600GT.. So now.. i'm freaking googl'ing this "it's XFX a good brand?" and this forum displays all your comments.. I don't know if its bad or good, the only thing i have to say it's didn't work out well to me. My warranty has ended 9 days before the card died.. bad luck hum? 1 year warranty for the XFX cards in shiethol i call home.
a b U Graphics card
November 17, 2009 5:58:12 PM

Dkz said:
my XFX 9800gt just died memory failure coz of heat the service said, anyway, last week a friend took his ATI 4770 to my house to test it coz its fan would not start and over heat the damn card, it is XFX as well, today i told a friend about my dead card, and he told me that his brother's also got broken coz the fan in it stopped working and the whole thing melted down to the ground.. it was a 9600GT.. So now.. i'm freaking googl'ing this "it's XFX a good brand?" and this forum displays all your comments.. I don't know if its bad or good, the only thing i have to say it's didn't work out well to me. My warranty has ended 9 days before the card died.. bad luck hum? 1 year warranty for the XFX cards in shiethol i call home.

look at the dates on this thread

a c 271 U Graphics card
November 17, 2009 6:05:52 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!