Anyone using a VIEWSONIC VX910?

Last response: in Video Games
a b C Monitor
June 18, 2005 6:04:44 AM

If anyone is using this monitor, can you give me an idea of it's performance
in FS9? I'm looking at one in the morning.
Thanks
Dudley

More about : viewsonic vx910

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
June 18, 2005 5:48:14 PM

No I am not, but I am using the ViewSonic VP912b, and I urge you to check it
out. Awsome monitor ...

"Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@noware .net> wrote in message
> If anyone is using this monitor, can you give me an idea of it's
> performance in FS9? I'm looking at one in the morning.
> Thanks
> Dudley

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
June 19, 2005 1:17:47 AM

Got it today. The graphics are beautiful. Only one issue that I can see. If
you know a setting that will help I'll appreciate it a great deal. If not, I
can live with it the way it is.
I'm using a DVI cable from the monitor to my EVGA 6800GT (latest EVGA
drivers) and a desktop resolution of 1024 x 768 at 60hz, (I can go to 85 if
it's better for the sim) and in the sim I've selected the optimum suggested
for the monitor which is 1280 X 1024 and am running the sim in full screen
mode.

What I'm getting when I go to full screen side views and bank the airplane
looks like waves on the screen as the ground moves with the bank. It's not
too bad, but noticable. Should I be running an LCD like this at matched
refresh rate rather than the different rates I have set up? This didn't
effect the analog monitor, but seems to be an issue with the LCD as I have
it set up.
Any suggestions how to eliminate this issue, or is it something inherent in
the LCD technology?
Thanks
Dudley

"Luther Cary" <shyretiree@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> No I am not, but I am using the ViewSonic VP912b, and I urge you to check
> it out. Awsome monitor ...
>
> "Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@noware .net> wrote in message
>> If anyone is using this monitor, can you give me an idea of it's
>> performance in FS9? I'm looking at one in the morning.
>> Thanks
>> Dudley

a b C Monitor
June 19, 2005 1:17:48 AM

>Got it today. The graphics are beautiful. Only one issue that I can see. If
>you know a setting that will help I'll appreciate it a great deal. If not, I
>can live with it the way it is.
>I'm using a DVI cable from the monitor to my EVGA 6800GT (latest EVGA
>drivers) and a desktop resolution of 1024 x 768 at 60hz, (I can go to 85 if
>it's better for the sim) and in the sim I've selected the optimum suggested
>for the monitor which is 1280 X 1024 and am running the sim in full screen
>mode.
>
>What I'm getting when I go to full screen side views and bank the airplane
>looks like waves on the screen as the ground moves with the bank. It's not
>too bad, but noticable. Should I be running an LCD like this at matched
>refresh rate rather than the different rates I have set up? This didn't
>effect the analog monitor, but seems to be an issue with the LCD as I have
>it set up.
>Any suggestions how to eliminate this issue, or is it something inherent in
>the LCD technology?

Dudley,

I am afraid it is inherent to the LCD technology, more noticeable on
sharper banks. The Hz rate is not what matter with the flat panels, it
is their response time, you want the lowest (and the more expensive)
12ms or 16ms are OK, 8ms is good, higher typical response times will
show what you are seeing.

Make sure you use DVI in 1280*1024 with yours for desktop, FS windowed
and full screen mode for best results.

I have a Samsung 21" with a 25ms response time and see this from time
to time but I mainly fly either airliners (no looping) or low and slow
VFR so even if noticeable all the other advantages of LCD make me
accept the situation, and I wouldn't trade this monitor for another
(well, except for a DLP projector)

It is too bad that you could not find a faster one at these lower
resolutions (mine is 1600*1200), I am sure there are some though, I
think Viewsonic VP series is ultra fast but do not know the prices,
Samsung is a good quality/price compromise as well.

===
Best Regards
Katy
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
June 19, 2005 4:00:22 AM

Hi KT;
I guess it's a toss up to accept the side view waving vs the excellent color
and graphics. I'll live with it I guess :-)
Question; I just checked dxdiag and ran the tests. The full screen box is
showing much faster than it did in the analog tests AND the spinning boxes
are there, but rotating at a terrific rate of speed...unreadable really. Is
this normal, or do I have something set up too fast ????
Dudley
"Katy Pluta" <katypluta@hotmail.invalid> wrote in message
> >Got it today. The graphics are beautiful. Only one issue that I can see.
> >If
>>you know a setting that will help I'll appreciate it a great deal. If not,
>>can live with it the way it is.
>>I'm using a DVI cable from the monitor to my EVGA 6800GT (latest EVGA
>>drivers) and a desktop resolution of 1024 x 768 at 60hz, (I can go to 85
>>if
>>it's better for the sim) and in the sim I've selected the optimum
>>suggested
>>for the monitor which is 1280 X 1024 and am running the sim in full screen
>>mode.
>>
>>What I'm getting when I go to full screen side views and bank the airplane
>>looks like waves on the screen as the ground moves with the bank. It's not
>>too bad, but noticable. Should I be running an LCD like this at matched
>>refresh rate rather than the different rates I have set up? This didn't
>>effect the analog monitor, but seems to be an issue with the LCD as I have
>>it set up.
>>Any suggestions how to eliminate this issue, or is it something inherent
>>in
>>the LCD technology?
>
> Dudley,
>
> I am afraid it is inherent to the LCD technology, more noticeable on
> sharper banks. The Hz rate is not what matter with the flat panels, it
> is their response time, you want the lowest (and the more expensive)
> 12ms or 16ms are OK, 8ms is good, higher typical response times will
> show what you are seeing.
>
> Make sure you use DVI in 1280*1024 with yours for desktop, FS windowed
> and full screen mode for best results.
>
> I have a Samsung 21" with a 25ms response time and see this from time
> to time but I mainly fly either airliners (no looping) or low and slow
> VFR so even if noticeable all the other advantages of LCD make me
> accept the situation, and I wouldn't trade this monitor for another
> (well, except for a DLP projector)
>
> It is too bad that you could not find a faster one at these lower
> resolutions (mine is 1600*1200), I am sure there are some though, I
> think Viewsonic VP series is ultra fast but do not know the prices,
> Samsung is a good quality/price compromise as well.
>
> ===
> Best Regards
> Katy
June 19, 2005 5:10:15 AM

> Got it today. The graphics are beautiful. Only one issue that I can see.
> If you know a setting that will help I'll appreciate it a great deal. If
> not, I can live with it the way it is.
> I'm using a DVI cable from the monitor to my EVGA 6800GT (latest EVGA
> drivers) and a desktop resolution of 1024 x 768 at 60hz, (I can go to 85
> if it's better for the sim) and in the sim I've selected the optimum
> suggested for the monitor which is 1280 X 1024 and am running the sim in
> full screen mode.
>
> What I'm getting when I go to full screen side views and bank the airplane
> looks like waves on the screen as the ground moves with the bank. It's not
> too bad, but noticable. Should I be running an LCD like this at matched
> refresh rate rather than the different rates I have set up? This didn't
> effect the analog monitor, but seems to be an issue with the LCD as I have
> it set up.
> Any suggestions how to eliminate this issue, or is it something inherent
> in the LCD technology?
> Thanks
> Dudley
>
> "Luther Cary" <shyretiree@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> No I am not, but I am using the ViewSonic VP912b, and I urge you to check
>> it out. Awsome monitor ...
>>
>> "Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@noware .net> wrote in message
>>> If anyone is using this monitor, can you give me an idea of it's
>>> performance in FS9? I'm looking at one in the morning.
>>> Thanks
>>> Dudley

Dudley,
I didn't respond immediately, because I'm using a VX912, not the VX910. To
be honest, I'm a bit confused here, because the North American ViewSonic
site seems not to know about the VX912 ( see
http://www.viewsoniceurope.com/UK/Products/LCDX/VX912.h... ). The main
difference seems to be the response time, which may well explain your
problem. The VX910 has a response time of 25ms, which is considered to be a
tiny bit dodgy. I'm sure when I bought mine (in January of this year) they
were quoting 12 ms, but the European web-site is now claiming 8 ms. Be that
as it may, it seems to be generally accepted (mainly through googling!) that
LCDs really need to have a response time of 16ms or less to avoid 'ghosting'
in fast-action scenarios. The situation you describe is probably about as
fast as FS9 needs to redraw the screen, so this may be relevant. Certainly,
I have not noticed any such problem on mine.

As far as resolution is concerned, all LCD screens work best (at least, in
digital mode) at native resolution, which for 17" and 19" screens is
1280x1024 (as opposed to a 19" CRT's 1280x960 - never could understand why
LCD manufacturers chose not to use the standard 4:3 aspect ratio). Again,
refresh rate is unimportant for LCDs - I've chosen to run mine at 60Hz on
the totally unscientific basis that just perhaps it may give it a slightly
easier time than running at the alternative 75 Hz. As there is no 'flicker'
from an LCD screen, there is certainly no need to run it any faster.

Regards,
Steve.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
June 19, 2005 5:18:41 AM

Thanks very much for the feedback. I noticed the 25 response on the specs
and I think this is right for the VX910. I did reinstall the EVGA drivers
for the 6800GT and that seems to have helped the waving a bit...have no idea
why...just thought it wouldn't hurt to reinstall the drivers :-)
I'm running the desktop in 1024 x 768 because I can't see a damn thing at
the optimum :-))) I do have the sim at optimum however.
It seems like a great monitor aside from that small issue though. The colors
are beautiful!!
Dudley
"stevem" <nobody@home.com> wrote in message

> [...]
> googling!) that LCDs really need to have a response time of 16ms or less
> to avoid 'ghosting' in fast-action scenarios. The situation you describe
> is probably about as fast as FS9 needs to redraw the screen, so this may
> be relevant. Certainly, I have not noticed any such problem on mine.
>
> As far as resolution is concerned, all LCD screens work best (at least, in
> digital mode) at native resolution, which for 17" and 19" screens is
> 1280x1024 (as opposed to a 19" CRT's 1280x960 - never could understand why
> LCD manufacturers chose not to use the standard 4:3 aspect ratio). Again,
> refresh rate is unimportant for LCDs - I've chosen to run mine at 60Hz on
> the totally unscientific basis that just perhaps it may give it a slightly
> easier time than running at the alternative 75 Hz. As there is no
> 'flicker' from an LCD screen, there is certainly no need to run it any

June 19, 2005 8:33:20 AM

Some awesome specs and reviews on the 912B.
Bill

"Luther Cary" <shyretiree@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> No I am not, but I am using the ViewSonic VP912b, and I urge you to check
> it out. Awsome monitor ...
>
> "Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@noware .net> wrote in message
>> If anyone is using this monitor, can you give me an idea of it's
>> performance in FS9? I'm looking at one in the morning.
>> Thanks
>> Dudley

June 19, 2005 9:35:24 AM

"Dudley Henriques"
> The colors are beautiful!!

Have you tried running nighttime in the sim yet? How is that?

Dallas
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
June 20, 2005 12:59:01 AM

"Luther Cary" <shyretiree@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> No I am not, but I am using the ViewSonic VP912b, and I urge you to check
> it out. Awsome monitor ...

Well PC magazine were not impressed - this is their review:

John

> "Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@noware .net> wrote in message
>> If anyone is using this monitor, can you give me an idea of it's
>> performance in FS9? I'm looking at one in the morning.
>> Thanks
>> Dudley

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
June 20, 2005 2:00:19 AM

Actually, after hearing from Katy Pluta yesterday, I followed her as usual
very good advice and ended up taking it back today and getting a Samsung
930B 19" with 8ms restore and very good optimum resolution. I LOVE this
thing!!
The color is fantastic and there is little wave on the monitor.
Dudley

> "Dudley Henriques"
>> The colors are beautiful!!
>
> Have you tried running nighttime in the sim yet? How is that?
>

> Dallas

June 20, 2005 2:00:20 AM

Dudley Henriques wrote:
> Actually, after hearing from Katy Pluta yesterday, I followed her as
> usual very good advice and ended up taking it back today and getting
> a Samsung 930B 19" with 8ms restore and very good optimum resolution.
> I LOVE this thing!!

Should be about the same viewing area as a 21" crt -

[he said, eyes turning greener by the second]
June 20, 2005 2:43:21 AM

"Dudley Henriques"
> Actually, after hearing from Katy Pluta yesterday, I followed her as usual
> very good advice and ended up taking it back today and getting a Samsung
> 930B 19" with 8ms restore and very good optimum resolution. I LOVE this
> thing!!

Pretty smart move. :-)

Dallas
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
June 20, 2005 2:43:22 AM

>Pretty smart move. :-)

Heba hooba heba hoba huba heba hoba heba hoba huba!!

Sooorry, had such a lovely family day today... Happy Father's Day to
you all young and old farts around! :-)

===
Best Regards
Katy
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
June 20, 2005 2:57:23 AM

It fills the screen completely and the color is like night and day compared
to the analog, and that was considered a fair monitor; a Sony 991 from Dell.
I don't think I'll ever go back to an analog monitor again....even for
email!!
:-))
Dudley
"CRaSH" <sorry@aint-here.spam.com> wrote in message
> Dudley Henriques wrote:
>> Actually, after hearing from Katy Pluta yesterday, I followed her as
>> usual very good advice and ended up taking it back today and getting
>> a Samsung 930B 19" with 8ms restore and very good optimum resolution.
>> I LOVE this thing!!
>

> Should be about the same viewing area as a 21" crt -
>
> [he said, eyes turning greener by the second]

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
June 20, 2005 6:12:52 AM

> Actually, after hearing from Katy Pluta yesterday, I followed her as
> usual very good advice and ended up taking it back today and getting a
> Samsung 930B 19" with 8ms restore and very good optimum resolution. I
> LOVE this thing!!
> The color is fantastic and there is little wave on the monitor.
> Dudley

The Samsung panel in the 930B monitor (LTM190EX) seems to be getting
good reviews. TN panels have been considered fast, but not that
good color-quality wise (they are only 6 bit). It seems like this
latest iteration of a TN panel, though, (Samsung is calling it B-TN II)
has come closer to the quality in VA panels like one in the
Dell 1905FP.

scott s.
..
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
June 20, 2005 7:01:00 AM

I've only had mine up and running in FS9 now for about 5 hours, and the
tests I've done are very promising. The color is fantastic! I did find that
for my taste at least, the brightness had to come up from 1.00 to 1.08 and
the contrast from 100% to 95. The cockpits were a bit dark before this
adjustment, but now they're fine. There is very little of the waving I saw
in full screen when changing bank angles.
I'm still experimenting :-) but so far, it was well worth the money.
Dudley
"scott s." <75270_3703a@csi.xcom> wrote in message
> "Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@noware .net> wrote in
>
>> Actually, after hearing from Katy Pluta yesterday, I followed her as
>> usual very good advice and ended up taking it back today and getting a
>> Samsung 930B 19" with 8ms restore and very good optimum resolution. I
>> LOVE this thing!!
>> The color is fantastic and there is little wave on the monitor.
>> Dudley
>
> The Samsung panel in the 930B monitor (LTM190EX) seems to be getting
> good reviews. TN panels have been considered fast, but not that
> good color-quality wise (they are only 6 bit). It seems like this
> latest iteration of a TN panel, though, (Samsung is calling it B-TN II)
> has come closer to the quality in VA panels like one in the
> Dell 1905FP.
>
> scott s.
> .
June 20, 2005 7:37:42 AM

"Dudley Henriques"
>The color is fantastic! I did find that
> for my taste at least, the brightness
> had to come up from 1.00 to 1.08

I had a real problem with my LCD and flying at night until I figured out
(with the help of Carl Frisk) to go here and set up the gamma and contrast:

http://www.jasc.com/support/kb/articles/monitor.asp

This exercise takes a quite a few minutes to get right, but when you are
done it you'll be correctly set up.

(It helps to squint at the gamma chart.)

Dallas
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
June 20, 2005 7:44:14 AM

I've seen this and people have said it's quite good. The new monitor has a
built in software program that goes through a wizzard to do this for me if I
need it. I haven't actually done much with the settings yet, but tonight
I'll do some night flying and check this out.
Thanks for posting it.
Dudley

> "Dudley Henriques"
>>The color is fantastic! I did find that
>> for my taste at least, the brightness
>> had to come up from 1.00 to 1.08
>

> I had a real problem with my LCD and flying at night until I figured out
> (with the help of Carl Frisk) to go here and set up the gamma and
> contrast:
>
> http://www.jasc.com/support/kb/articles/monitor.asp
>
> This exercise takes a quite a few minutes to get right, but when you are
> done it you'll be correctly set up.
>
> (It helps to squint at the gamma chart.)
>
> Dallas

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
June 20, 2005 6:06:08 PM

I have the Viewsonic 912 and like it a lot. PCWorld rated it 4th and a
"Best Buy" in Feb 05. It was rated behind 2 very expensive monitors and a
Dell at a similar price. It can be purchased for $450 right now.

--
Gerald J Buchko buchgera@comcast.net
"> Well PC magazine were not impressed - this is their review: