Reprogramming an Epson printer

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
January 13, 2005 5:46:04 PM

Does anyone know the button codes for reprogramming an Epson 1200
printer?

I've just come back from the repair shop after getting 'all lights on
and flashing' error. Seems that Epson, as well as the other
manufacturers, have built in the feature that when the ink resevoir (
which is used to store ink removed in the cleaning cycle) becomes full,
the chip reports this 'flashing lights' error. I was told by the shop
that the way to fix this is by pressing the buttons on the front in a
particular sequence - to re-set the chip to factory default settings..
Needless to say, Epson are not forthcoming on providing this info.

I would be very grateful if anyone has the code or any suggestions. It
seems a shame to bin a perfectly good printer when all it needs is
emptying, a clean and re-setting.

Cheers

Sion Morris
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 2:27:42 AM

Sion Morris wrote:
> Does anyone know the button codes for reprogramming an Epson 1200
> printer?
>
> I've just come back from the repair shop after getting 'all lights on
> and flashing' error. Seems that Epson, as well as the other
> manufacturers, have built in the feature that when the ink resevoir (
> which is used to store ink removed in the cleaning cycle) becomes full,
> the chip reports this 'flashing lights' error. I was told by the shop
> that the way to fix this is by pressing the buttons on the front in a
> particular sequence - to re-set the chip to factory default settings..
> Needless to say, Epson are not forthcoming on providing this info.
>
> I would be very grateful if anyone has the code or any suggestions. It
> seems a shame to bin a perfectly good printer when all it needs is
> emptying, a clean and re-setting.
>
> Cheers
>
> Sion Morris
I don't have the codes handy but there is a free software utility reset.
http://ssclg.com/epsone.shtml
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 2:46:48 AM

Sion Morris wrote:
> Does anyone know the button codes for reprogramming an Epson 1200
> printer?
>
> I've just come back from the repair shop after getting 'all lights on
> and flashing' error. Seems that Epson, as well as the other
> manufacturers, have built in the feature that when the ink resevoir (
> which is used to store ink removed in the cleaning cycle) becomes full,
> the chip reports this 'flashing lights' error. I was told by the shop
> that the way to fix this is by pressing the buttons on the front in a
> particular sequence - to re-set the chip to factory default settings..
> Needless to say, Epson are not forthcoming on providing this info.
>
> I would be very grateful if anyone has the code or any suggestions. It
> seems a shame to bin a perfectly good printer when all it needs is
> emptying, a clean and re-setting.
>
> Cheers
>
> Sion Morris
Found it. I think. The 1200 service manual doesn't tell you dick but
refers to the 750 service manual as these printers are very similar. In
any case the procedure is:
From page 22, Special setting mode:
After turning the power on while pressing Load/Eject and "Cleaning"
switches, "Paper Out" indicator blinks for 3 seconds. By pressing the
following switches during this period, following action is carried out-
Load/Eject= Initialize EPROM and reset time IC (not for you)
Cleaning(for 10 seconds)= Reset the ink overflow counter in EPROM (this
is the one you want to use).
January 14, 2005 4:39:14 PM

You have been told correctly.

If you have been using fairly standard dye inks, and this is the first
time this has occurred, chances are the majority of the ink (water,
alcohol, glycol has evaporated, and the waste ink "diapers" aren't all
that laden with ink. However, as a warning, be aware should your waste
ink pads be overfilled, the ink can leak from the bottom of the print,
and more so during shipping where the printer may not be kept upright
all the time. So, yo may wish to put down some newsprint and plastic
under the printer to protect your furniture foam leaking ink.

So, now that you have received the caveats:

RESET PROCEDURE for 750 and 1200: Turn the POWER BUTTON off. PRESS AND
HOLD the LOAD/EJECT and CLEANING buttons while you turn ON the POWER.
Release both buttons when the PAPER OUT LED is flashing.

The 'PAPER OUT' indicator blinks for 3 seconds. By pressing the
following buttons during this period, the associated actions are carried
out:

CLEANING button (for 10 seconds) - Resets the ink overflow counter
(waste ink pad number) in the EEPROM.

Typically, this is all you have to do, unless the printer is showing
other malfunctions. If it does, you may wish to also do the following as
it reinitializes the complete EEPROM and sets the cleaning timing IC
back to zero also:

LOAD/EJECT button - Initializes the EEPROM and resets the Time IC.

Once you have finished the reset(s) you wish to actuate,
turn the power button OFF.

When you next turn on the printer, it should start normally.

Hold the buttons down firmly and evenly when they are indicated.

Good luck

Art

Sion Morris wrote:

> Does anyone know the button codes for reprogramming an Epson 1200
> printer?
>
> I've just come back from the repair shop after getting 'all lights on
> and flashing' error. Seems that Epson, as well as the other
> manufacturers, have built in the feature that when the ink resevoir (
> which is used to store ink removed in the cleaning cycle) becomes full,
> the chip reports this 'flashing lights' error. I was told by the shop
> that the way to fix this is by pressing the buttons on the front in a
> particular sequence - to re-set the chip to factory default settings..
> Needless to say, Epson are not forthcoming on providing this info.
>
> I would be very grateful if anyone has the code or any suggestions. It
> seems a shame to bin a perfectly good printer when all it needs is
> emptying, a clean and re-setting.
>
> Cheers
>
> Sion Morris
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 7:34:04 PM

In <riIFd.6229$u72.5809@fe12.lga> tomcas wrote:
> Sion Morris wrote:
>> Does anyone know the button codes for reprogramming an Epson 1200
>> printer?
>>
>> I've just come back from the repair shop after getting 'all lights on
>> and flashing' error. Seems that Epson, as well as the other
>> manufacturers, have built in the feature that when the ink resevoir (
>> which is used to store ink removed in the cleaning cycle) becomes
>> full, the chip reports this 'flashing lights' error. I was told by
>> the shop that the way to fix this is by pressing the buttons on the
>> front in a particular sequence - to re-set the chip to factory
>> default settings.. Needless to say, Epson are not forthcoming on
>> providing this info. I would be very grateful if anyone has the
>> code or any suggestions. It seems a shame to bin a perfectly good
>> printer when all it needs is emptying, a clean and re-setting.
>> Cheers Sion Morris
> Found it. I think. The 1200 service manual doesn't tell you dick but
> refers to the 750 service manual as these printers are very similar.
> In any case the procedure is: From page 22, Special setting mode:
> After turning the power on while pressing Load/Eject and "Cleaning"
> switches, "Paper Out" indicator blinks for 3 seconds. By pressing the
> following switches during this period, following action is carried out-
> Load/Eject= Initialize EPROM and reset time IC (not for you)
> Cleaning(for 10 seconds)= Reset the ink overflow counter in EPROM (
> this is the one you want to use).

FANTASTIC! - Just what I was hoping for - I've now successfully reset
the printer and printed out a test sheet ok. Think I'll need to update
my drivers on my G4 as its still not printing from it, but seems to work
ok on an imac. I've also taken the top off and drained the pads which
store the excess ink. Just waiting for them to dry now, but I'm quite
hopeful.

Thanks for your efforts and time in finding out this info for me - very
much appreciated.

Cheers

Sion Morris
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 7:39:34 PM

In <6YPFd.93402$dv1.69116@edtnps89> Arthur Entlich wrote:
> You have been told correctly.
>
> If you have been using fairly standard dye inks, and this is the first
> time this has occurred, chances are the majority of the ink (water,
> alcohol, glycol has evaporated, and the waste ink "diapers" aren't all
> that laden with ink. However, as a warning, be aware should your
> waste ink pads be overfilled, the ink can leak from the bottom of the
> print, and more so during shipping where the printer may not be kept
> upright all the time. So, yo may wish to put down some newsprint and
> plastic under the printer to protect your furniture foam leaking ink.
>
> So, now that you have received the caveats:
>
> RESET PROCEDURE for 750 and 1200: Turn the POWER BUTTON off. PRESS
> AND HOLD the LOAD/EJECT and CLEANING buttons while you turn ON the
> POWER. Release both buttons when the PAPER OUT LED is flashing.
>
> The 'PAPER OUT' indicator blinks for 3 seconds. By pressing the
> following buttons during this period, the associated actions are
> carried out: CLEANING button (for 10 seconds) - Resets the ink
> overflow counter (waste ink pad number) in the EEPROM.
>
> Typically, this is all you have to do, unless the printer is showing
> other malfunctions. If it does, you may wish to also do the following
> as it reinitializes the complete EEPROM and sets the cleaning timing
> IC back to zero also:
>
> LOAD/EJECT button - Initializes the EEPROM and resets the Time IC.
>
> Once you have finished the reset(s) you wish to actuate,
> turn the power button OFF.
>
> When you next turn on the printer, it should start normally.
>
> Hold the buttons down firmly and evenly when they are indicated.
>
> Good luck
>

> Art

Cheers for this Art.

I am seriously chuffed with being able to solve this problem and now I
am cleaning the pads so hopefully I should get a few more years out of
the old machine yet.

Thanks for responding and your efforts in finding this information for
me - much appreciated.

Cheers

Sion Morris
!