Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Bluescreen of Death

Last response: in Systems
Share
March 28, 2006 8:27:45 PM

Every so ofthen after i built my new system i get the Bluescreen of Death. The problem is that windows fecking restarts to fast for me to see what the error is. Any help on getting it so windows wont restart right a way so i can find out what the error is or is there some log files that i can check. After that i might need some help to find what the problem is. Running XP-sp2

Opty 165
2 gb ocz ddr 500
7900gt
DFI lanparty expert.

More about : bluescreen death

March 28, 2006 8:47:01 PM

Are you overclocking any of the components in your system? That could lead to problems right off the bat. As for seeing the blinking BSOD, i doubt that hitting the PAUSE|BREAK button would stop it, so your next bet is to look in the Event Viewer to see if you can spot anything out of the ordinary.

EDIT: I think you should elaborate a bit on your problem...what are you doing when you get the BSOD? Gaming? Surfing? Nothing? Just having an idea as to what caused the BSOD can sometimes be just as good, or better than actually reading some of the mumbo-jumbo that is on the screen during the BSOD. END EDIT.

If you have everything running at stock speeds, you should have no problems at all. You should probably take a look at the DFI-Street Forums to see if anyone has had similar issues, if anyone has, they are there. Good Luck.
March 28, 2006 8:56:51 PM

I had that problem also. I hit F8 and went to last known sucessful boot. and made sure my SATA II drivers were complient with the mobo. and it worked. also make sure you Memory is not overclocked.
Related resources
March 28, 2006 9:03:54 PM

Quote:
Every so ofthen after i built my new system i get the Bluescreen of Death. The problem is that windows fecking restarts to fast for me to see what the error is. Any help on getting it so windows wont restart right a way so i can find out what the error is or is there some log files that i can check. After that i might need some help to find what the problem is. Running XP-sp2

Opty 165
2 gb ocz ddr 500
7900gt
DFI lanparty expert.




http://memtest86.com/memtest86-3.2.iso.zip

download, unzip, burn the ISO to CDR with ISOrecorder

http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/download/ISORecorder...

Make sure you have XP SP2

Let memtest run overnight ( 8 - 12 hours ).

If you see any errors your memory is bad.

After memtest run Prime95 for a few hours:

http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm

Good Luck :-D
March 28, 2006 9:25:43 PM

Quote:
Every so ofthen after i built my new system i get the Bluescreen of Death. The problem is that windows fecking restarts to fast for me to see what the error is. Any help on getting it so windows wont restart right a way so i can find out what the error is or is there some log files that i can check. After that i might need some help to find what the problem is. Running XP-sp2

Opty 165
2 gb ocz ddr 500
7900gt
DFI lanparty expert.


1 thing you can do to see the BSOD message is to disable 'Automatically Restart' on system failure.

Right click My Computer, select Properties, then the Advanced tab. Click Startup and Recovery Settings, and deselect the Automatically restart checkbox under System Failure.

If you could post the error message, it may help us to identify the problem.
March 28, 2006 11:34:53 PM

Woah, XP has a bluescreen? I havn't seen that in a LONG time. if my explorer crashes, i just get a new explorer, and everything keeps going. i havn't rebooted in..... well since the last time i had a power failure.
March 29, 2006 12:17:45 AM

Quote:
Woah, XP has a bluescreen? I havn't seen that in a LONG time. if my explorer crashes, i just get a new explorer, and everything keeps going. i havn't rebooted in..... well since the last time i had a power failure.



Yes it does - it just hides it by default.

In fact I sometimes get BSODs several times a day.
March 29, 2006 3:01:57 AM

Ok more detals now that it has happened again. From the BSOD comes up as Driver IRQL not less or equal ?? then after doing the windows reporting one of the possiblities is an unknown device driver. Now After checking the device manager there arnt any unsigned drivers or any thing the jumps out. I also had it show hidden devices and nothing out of the ordinary there.

I did run memtest a few days after i got the system up and running for about 4 hours and no errors. FYI the mobo has it installed in the bios and can be run from there. I also ran prime95 for bout 6 hours just a few days ago. no errors then. When it seems to happen is when i play eve. Gonna do some more testing to see if it isnt that.
March 29, 2006 4:09:47 PM

Quote:
Ok more detals now that it has happened again. From the BSOD comes up as Driver IRQL not less or equal ?? then after doing the windows reporting one of the possiblities is an unknown device driver. Now After checking the device manager there arnt any unsigned drivers or any thing the jumps out. I also had it show hidden devices and nothing out of the ordinary there.

I did run memtest a few days after i got the system up and running for about 4 hours and no errors. FYI the mobo has it installed in the bios and can be run from there. I also ran prime95 for bout 6 hours just a few days ago. no errors then. When it seems to happen is when i play eve. Gonna do some more testing to see if it isnt that.



Are any of your components OC'ed?

Have you checked to see what your temperatures and voltages are when you're playing games (speedfan, MBM5, DFI utils, etc)?

What kind of PSU do you have? What are your PSU specs on each rail?
March 29, 2006 4:24:03 PM

Quote:

Yes it does - it just hides it by default.

In fact I sometimes get BSODs several times a day.


Yikes, what are you doing? I had a problem years ago, when lighting caused the power to off, on and then off in rapid succession.....file got corrupted and it was very hard to fix.

Since then, the only reboots I've had were related to H/W issues.
March 29, 2006 4:27:47 PM

Quote:

Yes it does - it just hides it by default.

In fact I sometimes get BSODs several times a day.


Yikes, what are you doing? I had a problem years ago, when lighting caused the power to off, on and then off in rapid succession.....file got corrupted and it was very hard to fix.

Since then, the only reboots I've had were related to H/W issues.



Morrowind blue screens several times a day. Other games occasionally blue screen as well.

Windows blue screens a lot more frequently than you might think.
March 29, 2006 4:38:08 PM

Not for me it doesn't. Have you run drivercleaner and reinstalled video drivers, tested with a different video card and run memtest? I've had apps crash, but I've run windows on several machines doing a variety of tasks/games as have friends, and BSOD and spontaneous roobts are unusual IME.
March 29, 2006 4:45:17 PM

Quote:
Not for me it doesn't. Have you run drivercleaner and reinstalled video drivers, tested with a different video card and run memtest? I've had apps crash, but I've run windows on several machines doing a variety of tasks/games as have friends, and BSOD and spontaneous roobts are unusual IME.



It BSOD's all the time. The hardware is perfectly stable in memtest, etc and under Linux.

I am not making this up.

Some software blue screens all the time on every single machine I've tried it on.
March 29, 2006 5:05:40 PM

Nothing oced yet. as for temps they are all with in spec. 35 on the cpu under load. and 47 or so on the chipset. Using an EnerMax 600w noisetaker for a psu. The rails all show good under load. And sadly i dont have a spare PCI-E card around.
March 29, 2006 5:06:27 PM

its your ram you have to change the fsb to match the ram i think it is it is fsb 250
March 29, 2006 5:10:51 PM

Wouldnt be the ram. As even tho it is Rated for ddr500. All it is a hand picked ram that will run at that but it is just ddr 400.
March 29, 2006 5:11:05 PM

Quote:
its your ram you have to change the fsb to match the ram i think it is it is fsb 250



The RAM will run perfectly well underclocked to 200MHz or even lower.

You can underclock all you want.

Overclocking can cause issues.
March 29, 2006 5:42:44 PM

Quote:
Not for me it doesn't. Have you run drivercleaner and reinstalled video drivers, tested with a different video card and run memtest? I've had apps crash, but I've run windows on several machines doing a variety of tasks/games as have friends, and BSOD and spontaneous roobts are unusual IME.



It BSOD's all the time. The hardware is perfectly stable in memtest, etc and under Linux.

I am not making this up.

Some software blue screens all the time on every single machine I've tried it on.

I think PEBKAC dude... I have run Windows XP on two different machines for years, and not had a single BSOD or error, until I tried overclocking one of em... and after clocking it back a bit, it runs perfectly stable.

PEBKAC = Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair :p 
a b B Homebuilt system
March 29, 2006 6:37:39 PM

What speed are the cpu and mem clocks/ratios at for each?
Any cpu overclocking? what multiplier and fsb setting?
Is memory in auto/spd, or are you choosing the timings manually? and if so, what timings?

WHich HTT multiplier is being used, if overclocking? DDR voltage set for your particular mem? (Different manufacturers will require more than default 2.6v for running at 250 Mhz, for instance) (I had heard DFI boards might be a little more sensitive with DDR voltage/dual channel operation at various freqs?)
March 30, 2006 10:57:18 PM

I have narrowed it down to being one of 3 things as it only happens then. The latest nvdia drivers dont like Eve much. Eve doesnt like the new 7900 for some reason. Or a combo of the 2. It seems to happen the most regulay when running 2 accounts but it does happen but not as much while running one. The reason why i come to these is that it has run stable all day on prime95 with out errors or crashing. I need to try to see if it just isnt realated to eve by playing bf2 all day ect.
March 30, 2006 11:26:35 PM

If you didn't use drivercleaner when you updated your drivers, I'd download it here

Follow the instructions int he readme file. It may not solve your problem, but it's worth a shot, and it does remove files that the uninstall programs leave behind.

Good luck.
March 31, 2006 12:15:52 AM

I hardly ever bluescreen.
!