Is there a 'Pocket Access'? Is it supposed to come with ....

October 12, 2004 6:30:28 PM

PPC2003?

I ask for a couple reasons:

(1) I thought I saw it on my Dell Ax3i when I got it, but can't find it now.

(2) I have always used Paperport and CardScan for my PC contact
database. I just noted a file, in my PC CardScan database folder, with
the standard CardScan extension (.CDB), but in the TYPE column it says
"Pocket Access Database". I have no recollection of why that file may
be there.

Is this merely an ambiguity in extensions?

Any other ideas?

TIA

More about : pocket access supposed

Anonymous
October 12, 2004 6:30:29 PM

Check out my Where Is It QuickFAQs at...

http://ogasawalrus.com/mobileviews/mobilefaqs/WhereIsIt

....and...

Pocket PC Access Database Alternatives (Missing Apps Part II)

at...
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/3358

....for details on this topic...
--
Todd Ogasawara, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices
Online Editor - http://MobileViews.com/ -- PDA & Wireless Info

"normc" <normc@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
> PPC2003?
>
> I ask for a couple reasons:
>
> (1) I thought I saw it on my Dell Ax3i when I got it, but can't find it
> now.
>
> (2) I have always used Paperport and CardScan for my PC contact
> database. I just noted a file, in my PC CardScan database folder, with
> the standard CardScan extension (.CDB), but in the TYPE column it says
> "Pocket Access Database". I have no recollection of why that file may
> be there.
>
> Is this merely an ambiguity in extensions?
>
> Any other ideas?
>
> TIA

Anonymous
October 12, 2004 9:59:21 PM

Todd's links are great. Quickly though .cdb is a Pocket Access extension,
even though there is no Pocket Access for the Pocket PC, just for handhelds.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"normc" <normc@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
> PPC2003?
>
> I ask for a couple reasons:
>
> (1) I thought I saw it on my Dell Ax3i when I got it, but can't find it
now.

> (2) I have always used Paperport and CardScan for my PC contact
> database. I just noted a file, in my PC CardScan database folder, with
> the standard CardScan extension (.CDB), but in the TYPE column it says
> "Pocket Access Database". I have no recollection of why that file may
> be there.
>
> Is this merely an ambiguity in extensions?
>
> Any other ideas?
>
> TIA

October 13, 2004 2:47:15 AM

normc wrote:
> PPC2003?
>
> I ask for a couple reasons:
>
> (1) I thought I saw it on my Dell Ax3i when I got it, but can't find
> it now.
>
> (2) I have always used Paperport and CardScan for my PC contact
> database. I just noted a file, in my PC CardScan database folder,
> with
> the standard CardScan extension (.CDB), but in the TYPE column it says
> "Pocket Access Database". I have no recollection of why that file may
> be there.
>
> Is this merely an ambiguity in extensions?
>
> Any other ideas?
>
> TIA

Pocket Access used to be in the H/PC handhelds (Jornada 720 for example)

It's not part of WM 2003 or any of its predecessors (PPC2000, PPC2002)

Neither is Pocket Powerpoint, which was also in the H/PC format.

There are 3rd party solutions

--
Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 5:53:07 AM

Steve Parry [MVP] wrote:

> normc wrote:
>
>>PPC2003?
>>
>>I ask for a couple reasons:
>>
>>(1) I thought I saw it on my Dell Ax3i when I got it, but can't find
>>it now.
>>
>>(2) I have always used Paperport and CardScan for my PC contact
>>database. I just noted a file, in my PC CardScan database folder,
>>with
>>the standard CardScan extension (.CDB), but in the TYPE column it says
>>"Pocket Access Database". I have no recollection of why that file may
>>be there.
>>
>>Is this merely an ambiguity in extensions?
>>
>>Any other ideas?
>>
>>TIA
>

> Pocket Access used to be in the H/PC handhelds (Jornada 720 for example)
>
> It's not part of WM 2003 or any of its predecessors (PPC2000, PPC2002)
>
> Neither is Pocket Powerpoint, which was also in the H/PC format.
>
> There are 3rd party solutions

Thanks. What does the 'H' in H/PC stand for?
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 6:00:03 AM

Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices wrote:

> Todd's links are great. Quickly though .cdb is a Pocket Access extension,
> even though there is no Pocket Access for the Pocket PC, just for handhelds.

Thanks. Kind of annoying to have Microsoft take control of the
extension definitions on my PC, for a nonexistant application.
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 2:16:26 PM

> Thanks. What does the 'H' in H/PC stand for?

Handheld (clamshell devices with built-in keyboard).

Flib
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 5:45:03 PM

In article <#I9UAeLsEHA.3884@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>,
sejohannsen@hotmail.com says...
> Todd's links are great. Quickly though .cdb is a Pocket Access extension,
> even though there is no Pocket Access for the Pocket PC, just for handhelds.

In other words you can transfer a .MDB Access database to your PPC and
Activesynch will covert it to .CDB but you won't have any application to
do anything with it unless you go to a third party solution.
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 5:45:04 PM

Yes, thank goodness. There are third party programs that do a great job.
There are third party programs that do a great job with PowerPoint as well,
another application MS did not provide for the PPC. MS did provide Pocket
Word and Pocket Excel and it took years to get decent third party
replacements for those.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"Keith Rodgers" <keithr3@NOJUNKclear.net,nz> wrote in message
> In article <#I9UAeLsEHA.3884@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>,
> sejohannsen@hotmail.com says...
> > Todd's links are great. Quickly though .cdb is a Pocket Access
extension,
> > even though there is no Pocket Access for the Pocket PC, just for
handhelds.

> In other words you can transfer a .MDB Access database to your PPC and
> Activesynch will covert it to .CDB but you won't have any application to
> do anything with it unless you go to a third party solution.
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 5:45:05 PM

Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices wrote:

> Yes, thank goodness. There are third party programs that do a great job.

Which one(s) are your choice?

> There are third party programs that do a great job with PowerPoint as well,
> another application MS did not provide for the PPC. MS did provide Pocket
> Word and Pocket Excel and it took years to get decent third party
> replacements for those.

Anonymous
October 13, 2004 11:22:36 PM

It's not non-existent, just not provided for PPCs. It has been and is still
available on HPCs.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
> Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices wrote:
>
> > Todd's links are great. Quickly though .cdb is a Pocket Access
extension,
> > even though there is no Pocket Access for the Pocket PC, just for
handhelds.

> Thanks. Kind of annoying to have Microsoft take control of the
> extension definitions on my PC, for a nonexistant application.

Anonymous
October 13, 2004 11:38:41 PM

My personal choices. Conduits Pocket Slides for Powerpoint. It allows an
amazing amount of editing and creation, right on the PPC. Even just being
able to fix that misspelling that everyone overlooked until 2 minutes before
the presentation, would be great, but it does so much more. There is a great
sounding update imminent for that. For Access/DB stuff it is SprintDB. I
find that it is very intuitive to someone who uses Access on the desktop.
There are certainly differences, but you can live with little syntax quirks
once you find them. If you print the user manual it files a 1" binder. It
has that many features and it's documented. These are for if you need to
work with the files on the PPC.

Clearvue Suite is excellent if you just need to view or display. It does
work with native .ppt, so if you get one in an e-mail you can view it. It
doesn't have a DB portion, which sort of makes sense, since cdbs only
transfer data, not forms or queries or anything else, so there isn't much to
view without building a PPC front end.

These are my choices which doesn't make them the best for anyone else
necessarily. There are a lot of db offerings and some do and some don't
support the .cdb format. There are also a number of PowerPoint solutions.
Each have strengths and weaknesses that need to be evaluated in terms of the
individual expected uses. If you are trying to select, you would be advised
to look for some reviews from folks that have tried several and compared
them critically.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
> Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices wrote:
>
> > Yes, thank goodness. There are third party programs that do a great job.
>
> Which one(s) are your choice?
>
> > There are third party programs that do a great job with PowerPoint as
well,
> > another application MS did not provide for the PPC. MS did provide
Pocket
> > Word and Pocket Excel and it took years to get decent third party
> > replacements for those.

October 14, 2004 8:41:19 PM

In article <#$2OL6YsEHA.3460@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>, "Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices" <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote:

> For Access/DB stuff it is SprintDB. I
>find that it is very intuitive to someone who uses Access on the desktop.
>There are certainly differences, but you can live with little syntax quirks
>once you find them. If you print the user manual it files a 1" binder. It
>has that many features and it's documented. These are for if you need to
>work with the files on the PPC.

Sven I know you are not the company here, just a question since you use the
product, will SprintDB connect to SQL Server CE? Oddly there is a chance
that I might need to have SQL installed for another app, but I would prefer
a more Access like interface for my own use (went to the Sprint page,
liked what I saw, your endorcement went along way too). If it could talk to
SQL, that would be great.

Thanks

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.
Anonymous
October 14, 2004 11:16:27 PM

I don't know. But the entire user manual is available for download.
http://www.kaione.com/Online_Store/Register/Downloads/d... Have a
ball ;)  Couldn't hurt to ask them directly too.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"Rico" <rico_001@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D Yxbd.79562$yp.68179@bignews1.bellsouth.net...
> In article <#$2OL6YsEHA.3460@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>, "Sven, MVP-Mobile
Devices" <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote:

> > For Access/DB stuff it is SprintDB. I
> >find that it is very intuitive to someone who uses Access on the desktop.
> >There are certainly differences, but you can live with little syntax
quirks
> >once you find them. If you print the user manual it files a 1" binder. It
> >has that many features and it's documented. These are for if you need to
> >work with the files on the PPC.
>

> Sven I know you are not the company here, just a question since you use
the
> product, will SprintDB connect to SQL Server CE? Oddly there is a chance
> that I might need to have SQL installed for another app, but I would
prefer
> a more Access like interface for my own use (went to the Sprint page,
> liked what I saw, your endorcement went along way too). If it could talk
> SQL, that would be great.
>
> Thanks
>
> fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.
Anonymous
October 15, 2004 12:37:44 AM

In article <1097658183.UiQ5iBjjeEbXid2DMxvDJQ@teranews>,
normc@socal.rr.com says...
> Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices wrote:
>
> > Yes, thank goodness. There are third party programs that do a great job.
>
> Which one(s) are your choice?

Sven's already mentioned SprintDB. Another database program is HanDBase.
Sprint uses the .cdb format while HanDBase uses its own format. I looked
at both when deciding what to use.

Sprint would be the way to go if you want to use anything complicated on
your PPC but you will need to learn SQL to build your queries. My needs
didn't go much beyond a two table relational model so I decided on
HanDBase as it didn't require any coding.
Anonymous
October 15, 2004 1:08:18 AM

> In article <1097658183.UiQ5iBjjeEbXid2DMxvDJQ@teranews>,
> normc@socal.rr.com says...
>> Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices wrote:
>>
>> > Yes, thank goodness. There are third party programs that do a great
>> > job.
>>
>> Which one(s) are your choice?
>
> Sven's already mentioned SprintDB. Another database program is HanDBase.
> Sprint uses the .cdb format while HanDBase uses its own format. I looked
> at both when deciding what to use.
>
> Sprint would be the way to go if you want to use anything complicated on
> your PPC but you will need to learn SQL to build your queries. My needs
> didn't go much beyond a two table relational model so I decided on
> HanDBase as it didn't require any coding.

I've used XSdesign (freeware!) which works ok, and I'm enjoying Syware's
Visual CE (review here:
http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=3311)

October 16, 2004 1:31:45 AM

In article <uSjbaSlsEHA.160@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>, "Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices" <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote:
>I don't know. But the entire user manual is available for download.
>http://www.kaione.com/Online_Store/Register/Downloads/d... Have a
>ball ;)  Couldn't hurt to ask them directly too.

Thanks

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.
Anonymous
October 17, 2004 4:53:10 AM

"Flibble" <tough@thetop.com> wrote in message

> "normc" <normc@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
>
>> Thanks. What does the 'H' in H/PC stand for?
>
> Handheld (clamshell devices with built-in keyboard).
>
> Flib

Or tablet-type devices with no keyboard like my PenCentra 130!
http://www.precisiongps.com/Webpages/Handhelds/fujitsu_...
(I wish my screen were as bright as the picture implies!)

TCPW
!