VGASave? Problems with N6800 512MB - AGP

Miles

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2004
I recently recieved this graphics card. I put it into my box, and as soon as I booted I was greeted with a lovely, low res, 4-bit colour screen. I installed the new drivers, but alas, it made no difference.

I haven't got a clue what the problem is, but I REALLY need some help.

Screenshots: (Click to enlarge)

System specs:
CPU Type: Intel Pentium 4, 3000 MHz (15 x 200)
Motherboard Name: Gigabyte GA-8ISXT
Motherboard Chipset: Intel Springdale i865PE
System Memory: 512 MB (PC2700 DDR SDRAM)

Does it seem to you guys like the card is dead, or is there some other issue i'm not tech-savvy enough to notice?

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
if ur switching from ati uninstall the old drivers... this could be causing the problem. the card MAY be static damaged, but rule that out for the end, after it all fails... try putting in ur old card, if u have one, and see if it runs how its supposed to. what did u upgrade from? like i said if it was an ati ud have to remove ALL ati drivers for the card. even if it was an nvidia card id remove ALL traces of the cards drivers and do a fresh install of the newest drivers from nvidia.com... hope that helps out

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
if ur switching from ati uninstall the old drivers... this could be causing the problem. the card MAY be static damaged, but rule that out for the end, after it all fails... try putting in ur old card, if u have one, and see if it runs how its supposed to. what did u upgrade from? like i said if it was an ati ud have to remove ALL ati drivers for the card. even if it was an nvidia card id remove ALL traces of the cards drivers and do a fresh install of the newest drivers from nvidia.com... hope that helps out

also the card may not have enough power to run at its optimum speed, make sure it doesnt need an alternate power source connected to it, and what size is ur psu?

Miles

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2004
It requires and extra molex connector. I have attached one. I have a 500w PSU, but have just tried the same card on my sister's computer which has a 250w(!) PSU and the card works fine! Unbelievable!

I'm upgrading from a GeForce 5200 Ultra, and I did a complete format beforehand, ie. i'm trying to get the card to work on a fresh install of windows XP.

Cheers for the replies so far though :]

Any insight on my problem would be fantastic.

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
try connecting a different molex conector, what brand is ur psu? how many other devices are installed? unplug ALL unessential things (IE. sound card, network card, extra harddrives) this is just to rule out that it isnt a power issue, which i think it is. if that fails id try uninstalling the drivers and running the ones that came with the card. if that doesnt work what id suggest is go into the device manager (right click my computer - properties - hardware tab - device manager) and look to see that the drivers are installed properly on ur video card. if all else fails... id say ur agp slot could be damaged, if it runs fine in a different computer theres somthing wrong with the power in urs or the agp slot...

Miles

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2004
The AGP slot runs my other card perfectly fine. I've had this same issue on 3 different PSU's, so I think I can rule out the power-problem issue.

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
then im 99% sure its driver issue. if it ran "perfectly fine" on ur sisters computer with a smaller psu, wouldnt run on 3 others then im guessing u just got bad drivers or messed up on the install... take the drivers from the cd and use them, also go to google and download a driver uninstaller, just type that in google and u should be able to find it pretty easily, ive never had to use one so i could recommend a specific one. if that doesnt fix the problem then i guess the card is messed and it ran on ur sisters because her comp is slow i guess? id say if u completly remove all drivers with the cleaner and it STILL wont get past that resolution RMA it, also theres one more thing, theres a checkbox taht says "display modes this montior doesnt support" uncheck that and try to force it to run in the resolution u want..

Miles

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2004
I've tried many different drivers to no avail. The "Hide modes this monitor cannot display" box is grayed out, so I can't tick it. :(

Latest posts