HP932 not printing text

I have an HP932C printer. I use a variety of programs, but am having
trouble with 2 in particular.

I use Microsoft Picture It! Publishing Platinum 2002 and for some
reason when I print greeting cards, the text that is on the cards won't
print. Microsoft's response was basically that they didn't have a
clue, but they were sure it wasn't there issue. I didn't believe them,
of course. Their solution was to paste the text into a bitmap and then
paste bitmap into the card, then print it. So that's what I do, which
is a pain.

I'd forgotten about the issue, mostly. Now, my HP laserjet 5P is
making bad marks on my paper - the drum needs cleaned or something,
maybe just need a new ink cartridge - So I decided to print a letter
using 932 inkjet. I am using Open Office v1.1.1. When I print, I
select the 932 printer and away it goes.....but what pops out is a
blank page.

So Now I believe that there is something wrong with the printer or
drivers. By the way, when I had the initial issue with the Publishing
software, HP also said it wasn't their issue, that it was Microsofts.
So what ya gonna do.

I need some help from you folks out there in figuring out what's going
on.

I checked the ink levels and all are full so it isn't an issue with
running out of black ink or something - also tried printing text in
other colors, still doesn't work. I've tried various drivers for the
printer as HP suggested - like the 970 drivers, made sure I had the
latest 932 drivers, also tried old drivers.

Thanks for any suggestions.
9 answers Last reply
More about hp932 printing text

    On 13 Jan 2005 09:38:30 -0800, the6carrules@hotmail.com wrote:

    >I have an HP932C printer. I use a variety of programs, but am having
    >trouble with 2 in particular.
    >
    >I use Microsoft Picture It! Publishing Platinum 2002 and for some
    >reason when I print greeting cards, the text that is on the cards won't
    >print. Microsoft's response was basically that they didn't have a
    >clue, but they were sure it wasn't there issue. I didn't believe them,
    >of course. Their solution was to paste the text into a bitmap and then
    >paste bitmap into the card, then print it. So that's what I do, which
    >is a pain.
    >
    >I'd forgotten about the issue, mostly. Now, my HP laserjet 5P is
    >making bad marks on my paper - the drum needs cleaned or something,
    >maybe just need a new ink cartridge - So I decided to print a letter
    >using 932 inkjet. I am using Open Office v1.1.1. When I print, I
    >select the 932 printer and away it goes.....but what pops out is a
    >blank page.
    >
    >So Now I believe that there is something wrong with the printer or
    >drivers. By the way, when I had the initial issue with the Publishing
    >software, HP also said it wasn't their issue, that it was Microsofts.
    >So what ya gonna do.
    >
    >I need some help from you folks out there in figuring out what's going
    >on.
    >
    >I checked the ink levels and all are full so it isn't an issue with
    >running out of black ink or something - also tried printing text in
    >other colors, still doesn't work. I've tried various drivers for the
    >printer as HP suggested - like the 970 drivers, made sure I had the
    >latest 932 drivers, also tried old drivers.
    >
    >Thanks for any suggestions.

    The best troubleshooting tool I know of is a fresh new set of
    cartridges. You can rotate your old and new cartridges if you want,
    but a new set of fresh cartridges is probably going to fix your
    inkjet.

    PJx wrote:
    > On 13 Jan 2005 09:38:30 -0800, the6carrules@hotmail.com wrote:
    >
    > >I have an HP932C printer. I use a variety of programs, but am
    having
    > >trouble with 2 in particular.
    > >
    > >I use Microsoft Picture It! Publishing Platinum 2002 and for some
    > >reason when I print greeting cards, the text that is on the cards
    won't
    > >print. Microsoft's response was basically that they didn't have a
    > >clue, but they were sure it wasn't there issue. I didn't believe
    them,
    > >of course. Their solution was to paste the text into a bitmap and
    then
    > >paste bitmap into the card, then print it. So that's what I do,
    which
    > >is a pain.
    > >
    > >I'd forgotten about the issue, mostly. Now, my HP laserjet 5P is
    > >making bad marks on my paper - the drum needs cleaned or something,
    > >maybe just need a new ink cartridge - So I decided to print a letter
    > >using 932 inkjet. I am using Open Office v1.1.1. When I print, I
    > >select the 932 printer and away it goes.....but what pops out is a
    > >blank page.
    > >
    > >So Now I believe that there is something wrong with the printer or
    > >drivers. By the way, when I had the initial issue with the
    Publishing
    > >software, HP also said it wasn't their issue, that it was
    Microsofts.
    > >So what ya gonna do.
    > >
    > >I need some help from you folks out there in figuring out what's
    going
    > >on.
    > >
    > >I checked the ink levels and all are full so it isn't an issue with
    > >running out of black ink or something - also tried printing text in
    > >other colors, still doesn't work. I've tried various drivers for
    the
    > >printer as HP suggested - like the 970 drivers, made sure I had the
    > >latest 932 drivers, also tried old drivers.
    > >
    > >Thanks for any suggestions.
    >
    > The best troubleshooting tool I know of is a fresh new set of
    > cartridges. You can rotate your old and new cartridges if you want,
    > but a new set of fresh cartridges is probably going to fix your
    > inkjet.

    I recently put in a fresh new set of cartridges. Plus when I print
    photos/pictures/bitmaps, everything works perfect, including black.

    The other issue I'm having is that the HP toolbox application is gone,
    therefore the ability to monitor the ink levels is also gone. I can't
    use the CD to install anything because XP says that the software on the
    CD isn't made for XP - the latest drivers apparently do not include the
    toolbox application.

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?lc=en&lang=en&cc=us&dlc=en&p
    > roduct=61236&os=228
    >
    > Click on "Automatically check to see if you need an update"
    >
    > Maybe that will help.
    >
    > Brigitte

    As I stated in my original posting, I have already tried all available
    drivers, from the original CD that came with it up through the latest
    drivers that came out several years ago. ( don't see anything on the
    link that says "automatically check to see if you need an update").
    But since I've been running the latest drivers sine they came out, and
    there have been no newer drivers released for 3 years, it's safe to say
    that this probably isn't a driver issue. It could however be related
    to XP-Home-SP2 or one of any number of things, that I was hoping
    someone else had already experienced.

> [...]
    > CD isn't made for XP - the latest drivers apparently do not include the
    > toolbox application.

    Try here:

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?lc=en&lang=en&cc=us&dlc=en&p
    roduct=61236&os=228

    Click on "Automatically check to see if you need an update"

    Maybe that will help.

    Brigitte

    <the6carrules@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > PJx wrote:
    >> The best troubleshooting tool I know of is a fresh new set of
    >> cartridges. You can rotate your old and new cartridges if you want,
    >> but a new set of fresh cartridges is probably going to fix your
    >> inkjet.
    >
    > I recently put in a fresh new set of cartridges. Plus when I print
    > photos/pictures/bitmaps, everything works perfect, including black.

    One thing I would check would be a diagnostic test page as shown at:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bpd07098&product=61012&dlc=en&lang=en#N10279

    Even though it appears that black print is OK that may not be the case; if you
    have selected photo paper in the driver, or if the driver is ser to automatic
    and photo paper is detected. When printing on photo paper (or if the printer
    thinks it is photo paper) the color cartridge will be used to generate black
    print from CMY.

    Regards,

    I notice that XP SP2 has killed lots of software so often that many
    refuse to update their computer to SP2.

    PJ

    Bob Headrick wrote:
    > <the6carrules@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > PJx wrote:
    > >> The best troubleshooting tool I know of is a fresh new set of
    > >> cartridges. You can rotate your old and new cartridges if you
    want,
    > >> but a new set of fresh cartridges is probably going to fix your
    > >> inkjet.
    > >
    > > I recently put in a fresh new set of cartridges. Plus when I print
    > > photos/pictures/bitmaps, everything works perfect, including black.
    >
    > One thing I would check would be a diagnostic test page as shown at:

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bpd07098&product=61012&dlc=en&lang=en#N10279

    > Even though it appears that black print is OK that may not be the
    case; if you
    > have selected photo paper in the driver, or if the driver is ser to
    automatic
    > and photo paper is detected. When printing on photo paper (or if the
    printer
    > thinks it is photo paper) the color cartridge will be used to
    generate black
    > print from CMY.
    >
    > Regards,

    Thanks Bob, I'll try running through the suggestions from that link and
    update this post with my results. I did try to print two different
    test pages. The first was by hitting the button on the printer and it
    spit out just a Windows logo. The other test was the "test page" from
    within the printer properties. It didn't look like I remember it.

    I did manage to get the toolbox software back by uninstalling the
    printer drivers, scanning through my harddrive and deleteing any
    printer driver I found, then reinstalling the latest 4.3 drivers. My
    ink levels are at 80% black and 60% color, so I don't think it is ink
    issue. I also "cleaned" the ink heads from within the toolbox and when
    it spit out the page, it too was missing the black. The colors were
    perfect however.

    I'll walkthru your link and see if I can shed some more light on the
    issue.

    THANKS!

    Ran first test and it printed out a multi-colored flower. It seemed to
    try and print something above the flower, but it was blank.

    Ran 2nd test (hold pwr button and hit the "middle" button 4 times) - it
    seemed to print something, but just spit out a blank sheet of paper

    Ran 3rd test (hold pwr button, and hit the cancel button 8 times,
    middle button 4 times) - It printed out rectangles of varying sizes and
    colors - 2 lines total from blue/red/yellow and a single dark gray line
    at the end of the 2nd line. But that was it.

    Does any of these mean anything? I"m not sure what was supposed to
    spit out of each test.

    > Ran 3rd test (hold pwr button, and hit the cancel button 8 times,
    > middle button 4 times) - It printed out rectangles of varying sizes and
    > colors - 2 lines total from blue/red/yellow and a single dark gray line
    > at the end of the 2nd line. But that was it.

    This is the one I use to diagnose problems. There should be nozzle patterns
    made up of cyan, magenta and yellow. There are a few different patterns but
    the size of each color should be the same as the others. If one of the color
    blocks is smaller than the others clean the contacts for the #78 cartridge as
    shown at:
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=bpa02060.

    You should also have a larger pattern of black nozzle patterns. The fact that
    you do not have any black at all indicates a problem with the black cartridge
    or with the printer. One thing to try in this case would be to remove the
    black cartridge and blot it on a damp tissue. You should get two strips of
    black ink, about 0.5" high. If there is no ink coming out of the nozzles the
    cartridge is defective. Assuming it is an HP original cartridge check the
    warranty date as shown at:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bua02014.
    If the cartridge is still in the two year warranty period then contact your
    dealer or HP for a replacement. If the cartridge is expired buy a new
    cartridge. When purchasing a new cartridge look for the "install by" date on
    the box. I would look for at least six months remaining before the "install
    by" date, resulting in at least one year additional warranty.

    Regards,

Printers Hewlett Packard Peripherals