Newbie gamer, please advise

imperfectcircle25

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
Ok so I just set up a new system and I luv it. I have never been much of a video game type, but I recently played BF2 at a friends house and loved it. So I am thinking about ding a little gaming on my system. Im currently running the following system
DFI LAnparty ultra D
4200x2 @ 2.6ghz
2gig OCZ Gold ddr500
74gig raptor system drive
300gig wd storage drive
Asus X1600pro 256meg
Creative X-fi extreme music
Silverstone Zues 650w psu
20in Dell widescreen lcd
Do i need to upgrade my video card or will the x1600pro be fine for the ocasional game?? Im not an extreme gamer or anything Ijust want to play a game or two very ocasionally. Am I ok or do I need a better video card??
thanks
Frank

spookz

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
That setup can run bf2 but not at max details more like low - mid details at max. The most limiting factor would be the video card. If you have a chance or want to be more harcore, pick up something better like a x1800 or a 7800gt. Other than that, x1600pro should be doing some good unless there are some compatability problems.

spookz

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
In your case, it wouldn't be see my modified post. But if you really want to, droping 300 on a 7900gt will let you play the game on max details.

cardcrash

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
I'd say your system would be more than adequate for your 'occasional' needs. My system runs BF2 with most of the settings on high n(@1280x1024). I've made compromises with shadows and dynamic light and textures on medium, but it still looks and plays fantastic.

teh_squaterer

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
How much would that X1600 card cost you? You can get an X850XT for about $170 ($155 after rebate), which performs quite a bit better than the X1600.

imperfectcircle25

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
Im not a gamer at all, but I do enjoy playing ocasionally, and hour a week would actually be an exageration as i probably dont have time to play even and hour a week. i just wantd to know if I could play BF2 with my current setup or do I need a better video card. I dont really want to go spending $300 for a 7800 or 1800 if my 1600pro will work fine

WOWchamp

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2005
If your serious at the > 1 hour per week part then no, do not upgrade as it will be pointless. But on another note you purchased an X2 above a 3800+ and claim you dont have money to waste lmao.

The X1600 PRO is disabled in the respect it has only a 128 bit interface and not a 256 like most other cards. But for 300$ the X1800XT would own the living hell out of that X1600PRO (256MB retail X1800XT 256's go for 289$, while the 512 varieants go for 339$)

But under an hour per week is a VERY small amount to invest 300$ into another GPU.

imperfectcircle25

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
I never said I dont have the money to spend on a better card, I simply said I thought it would be a waste as i rarely have time to be playing games for hours. I just want to be able to play an occasional game and if my current card can do that cool, if not ill probably go with something better. The reason I went with a dual core is simple, my gf is a photgrapher and needs photoshop and ocasionally CAD to run fast and smooth and I do alot of recording/encodeing type suff, i just think a dual core was the way to go and I turned out to be right! Thanks for everyones help I appreciate it. One other question, will all the cards you guys mentioned, work with my 20in Dell widescreen, I know some dont like the 1650x1080 res?
thanksFrank

imperfectcircle25

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
I can get a good deal on an All-in-wonder x800xl, would this be a decent step up from my x1600pro?? i like it since it has the Tv tuner and remote and everything built in, has alot of cool features. But how s the performance compared to the 1600pro?? I know its older tech, but its a higher end card?? right??
Thanks
Frank

tonycsmoke

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
I wouldn't mess with it unless you have to absolutely upgrade. I'm an avid player of BF2 (till my mobo died last week). Your computer smokes mine at the present. The game is still plays great with lower settings although not as pretty. For one hour a week or less - I'd put my money elsewere or away till a time when you can play more.

koon

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
have to make a comment here.... you spent all that time and money to customize a system with above average parts, but you went low budget on the vid card? Its not a matter of can you live with it.... to me it would be a matter of overall performance a quality. Go get a good gaming card and just be done with it.

ih8makingupnames

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2006
This is really a question that you need to ask yourself. If you don't think that the game plays smooth or looks too bad at low res and it is worth it to you then SPEND MONEY. If not then save it until the next gen of cards are out and they will be even better than the current gen.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
This is really a question that you need to ask yourself. If you don't think that the game plays smooth or looks too bad at low res and it is worth it to you then SPEND MONEY. If not then save it until the next gen of cards are out and they will be even better than the current gen.
The next gen of anything is ALWAYS better than the current gen. If you tell someone to wait until the next generation, once the next generation is there, there will be something even better on the horizon. Then they'll be told to wait again. They will keep what they have forever.

I agree that he should just try playing BF2, and if he's satisfied with the image quality and performance, wait until he's dissatisfied with the performance. If he's dissatisfied right now, he should upgrade to the 7600GT or x1800gto.

imperfectcircle25

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
Ok I traded my freind some stuff for his AIW 800xl, if I dont like it I can always trade it or sell it anyways, at least Ididnt have to spend another $200 or $300. It has a remote too which is pretty cool for watching movies and stuff. I have one question though, He doesnt have the software cd anymore or the I/O cables. I downloaded the driver and the media center software from ATI, but it wont let me install the DVD decoder unless I have the origional instalation cd. Anyway to get around this?? Also where can I buy the I/O cables? I think this card will be plenty good for the small mount of gaming I do. The only drawback is that it doesnt have the Avivo and h.264 like my X1600pro but I guess thats not a big deal really until Blu-ray or some other HiDef disk comes along in the future. So anyways to get the DVD decoder or will I just have to use another player for my dvds?
Thanks

thanks
Frank