Closest match bulk ink for Canon

Without hearing from the shills who inhabit this group,
which bulk ink comes closest to matching Canon BCI-3
cartridges? Has anyone done a comparison of 2 or more
bulk ink suppliers and wish to share their results?

Thanks
13 answers Last reply
More about closest match bulk canon

    I've been using ink from www.inkjetsaver.com for a couple years. I cannot
    see any difference between it and Canon ink. I did have a print head failure
    in my S750, but it was 2 years old and had printed thousands of color
    flyers.
    Using the same inks now in my PIXMA-3000 with no problems. It's the same ink
    as the BCI-6 colors.

    "ray" <ce89012@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Without hearing from the shills who inhabit this group,
    > which bulk ink comes closest to matching Canon BCI-3
    > cartridges? Has anyone done a comparison of 2 or more
    > bulk ink suppliers and wish to share their results?
    >
    > Thanks

    Ray,

    Interesting question. You will probably get a number of responses from those
    that use 3rd party inks saying they're great or had no problems - etc. No
    doubt they're happy with what they're using. Recently though I've been
    searching the web for quality inks suppliers also and have found several
    sites that make the claim that their inks "meet or exceed OEM
    specifications". Sounds good...but. No where on the sites do they offer
    any proof of that claim. So I dashed off a couple of quick emails to these
    "well known" (here anyway's) suppliers asking them to provide some test
    results or other information that backs up their claim.

    I received one email back with a link and a comment that said to read the
    section on "Ink". I did and nowhere does it qualify the statement nor are
    the words "meet or exceed OEM specifications" even mentioned in the
    write-up.

    The other "reputable" on-line reseller of inks that makes a similar claim
    about their inks has just decided to avoid it altogether by not answering
    any emails on the subject.

    Stating a fact in advertising and then not being able to prove the claim
    is - false advertising at best. They're like some of the camera dealers in
    Brooklyn that claim they have the lowest price for a product - funny thing
    though, no one can buy it at their advertised price just as these suppliers
    can't prove their claim. So while there are plenty of users out there using
    the cheap inks - that's exactly the quality they're most likely getting. And
    that may be alright for them since they're not looking to keep the prints a
    long time nor does the ink have to look great. But for those that have made
    a fair investment in the toy's and want to get better than average results
    for our efforts - cheap inks are not the way to go from what I've finding.

    Bob S.
    "ray" <ce89012@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Without hearing from the shills who inhabit this group,
    > which bulk ink comes closest to matching Canon BCI-3
    > cartridges? Has anyone done a comparison of 2 or more
    > bulk ink suppliers and wish to share their results?
    >
    > Thanks

    What's a shill and do they have gril shills ?

    --
    Got the picture...Print it. JetTec perfect.
    http://www.aah-haa.com 30% more ink

    "Tony" <auct1@pantsaah-haa.com> wrote in message
    > What's a shill and do they have gril shills ?

    shill (shl) Slang n.
    One who poses as a satisfied customer or an enthusiastic gambler to dupe
    bystanders into participating in a swindle.
    Mainly the first definition.

    > --
    > Got the picture...Print it. JetTec perfect.
    > http://www.aah-haa.com 30% more ink
    > http://www.inkylinkusa.com
    > "ray" <ce89012@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Without hearing from the shills who inhabit this group,
    > > which bulk ink comes closest to matching Canon BCI-3
    > > cartridges? Has anyone done a comparison of 2 or more
    > > bulk ink suppliers and wish to share their results?
    > >
    > > Thanks

    begin 666 ibreve.gif
    M1TE&.#EA!P`/`/ ``/___P```"'Y! $`````+ `````'``\```(1A ^!H<P(
    -%WPSJHKEHK%'@@(`.P``
    `
    end

    Tony wrote:
    > What's a shill and do they have gril shills ?

    shill (shl) Slang n.
    One who poses as a satisfied customer or an enthusiastic gambler to dupe
    bystanders into participating in a swindle.

    Neil Slade is a musician with eclectic interests who has put up a large
    site mostly about Canon printing. Apparently he prints 10's of color
    photographs every week, therefore has been forced to study the subject.
    He has recommendations for ink and paper based on his own trials and
    claims from his favorite suppliers. I guarantee these are not
    scientifically rigorous, but are unbiased as he is not making a nickle
    off of this (as far as I know).

    The site is a pain to read through because of its length, but try it:
    http://www.neilslade.com/papers/inkjetstuff.html

    Neil Slade is certainly no "shill" :>)
    Rescho

    "Rescho" <peterreschREMOVE@THISoptusnet.com.au> wrote in message
    > Neil Slade is certainly no "shill" :>)
    > Rescho
    >
    > "billmack" <billmack0@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Neil Slade is a musician with eclectic interests who has put up a large
    > > site mostly about Canon printing. Apparently he prints 10's of color
    > > photographs every week, therefore has been forced to study the subject.
    > > He has recommendations for ink and paper based on his own trials and
    > > claims from his favorite suppliers. I guarantee these are not
    > > scientifically rigorous, but are unbiased as he is not making a nickle
    > > off of this (as far as I know).
    > >
    > > The site is a pain to read through because of its length, but try it:
    > > http://www.neilslade.com/papers/inkjetstuff.html

    Thanks for the link to Neil Slade's web site. I was encouraged by his
    review of MIS ink. Currently I am using Atlascopy ink (repetotype).
    While I am satisfied by the overall look of the atlascopy prints I find
    the yellow ink is a little weak and needs to be increased in the printer
    driver. Neil's comment about MIS ink having a strong yellow is
    encouraging. He did a very through job of presenting his evaluation.

    I looked at the MIS ink web page and was confused. They do not
    include the Canon i850 printer on their list of supported printers.
    The list 7 different types of BCI-3 ink. I think I know what I need,
    and I emailed them for clarification and have not received a response
    yet. Do you know who manufactures their ink?

    Any one else know of any other good evaluations? Thank you to
    the shill's who did not respond.

    I followed Neil Slade's advice, bought a canon I 960 printer and am using
    MIS inks and Kirkland (costco) glossy photo paper with great success. His
    advice is right on target. I set the printer for "glossy photo paper",
    manual (not automatic), and reduce the intensity to -4 for most pictures.
    Great results. I had an epson stulys 900 that made good color photos, but
    the canon I960 blows it away! Looking at 8x magnification with a jeweler's
    loupe the epson showed very distinct dots of varied colors to give the
    impression of continuous tones to the naked eye. The Canon I960 at 8x
    magnification had more the appearance of continuous color in most areas.

    Burt wrote:
    > I followed Neil Slade's advice, bought a canon I 960 printer and am using
    > MIS inks and Kirkland (costco) glossy photo paper with great success. His
    > advice is right on target. I set the printer for "glossy photo paper",
    > manual (not automatic), and reduce the intensity to -4 for most pictures.
    > Great results. I had an epson stulys 900 that made good color photos, but
    > the canon I960 blows it away! Looking at 8x magnification with a jeweler's
    > loupe the epson showed very distinct dots of varied colors to give the
    > impression of continuous tones to the naked eye. The Canon I960 at 8x
    > magnification had more the appearance of continuous color in most areas.
    >
    > "ray" <ce89012@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    Using the same ink and paper in my I860 and am very pleased with the
    results.

    MIS P/N for the ink for the color carts is CAN S800-4-C*
    * the 4 stands for 4oz bottle and the letter is the color, C,Y,M, or
    PK for photo blk.

    Mickey

    > Using the same ink and paper in my I860 and am very pleased with the
    > results.
    >
    > MIS P/N for the ink for the color carts is CAN S800-4-C*
    > * the 4 stands for 4oz bottle and the letter is the color, C,Y,M, or
    > PK for photo blk.
    >
    > Mickey

    Their web page does not tell you whether to us the photo black or the
    pigmented black. How did you conclude that the photo black is
    the correct ink? Canon says the BCI-3eBK cartridge uses a pigmented
    ink.

    ray wrote:
    >>Using the same ink and paper in my I860 and am very pleased with the
    >>results.
    >>
    >>MIS P/N for the ink for the color carts is CAN S800-4-C*
    >>* the 4 stands for 4oz bottle and the letter is the color, C,Y,M, or
    >>PK for photo blk.
    >>
    >>Mickey
    >

    > Their web page does not tell you whether to us the photo black or the
    > pigmented black. How did you conclude that the photo black is
    > the correct ink? Canon says the BCI-3eBK cartridge uses a pigmented
    > ink.

    The I860 and it's replacement have 2 blacks, a pigmented one for text
    on plain paper and a dye based black for photo's. The pigmented cart.
    is a 3 size and the dye cart is a 6 size, the same cart as the colors.

    Mickey

Printers Canon Peripherals