Sign in with
Your question

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Last response: in Overclocking
March 29, 2006 12:56:23 AM

OK, I'm considering buying a new system with an AMD Opteron, either 170 or 175. But I am completely new to overcocking. I have never looked at it before, all I know is it exists, and what the end result is. If there's one aspect of hardware I don't know anything about, this is it.

Does anyone know of some good guides that explain to the absolute beginner what they're doing? What the various things you can alter are, what all the ratings mean etc.?

Once I know the basics, then i can look at how to specifically overclock this processor.

More about : point direction

March 29, 2006 1:19:53 AM

The Opteron 170 has a 10x multiplier and is cheaper. I would rather have that over the 175 because the 10x just seems so much easier.
March 29, 2006 8:11:46 AM

My favorite guide is this one, as it provides a step-by-step guide for beginners to overclocking (which I was before I read it).

The Opteron 165 and 170 tend to overclock best. I went for the 170 because of the 10x multiplier, but I've seen 165's overclocked higher than my 170. At the end of the day, how far you can overclock is all down to luck as to whether you get a good CPU.
March 29, 2006 8:12:24 AM

Have a look at the stickies in the overclocking forums, they'll probably be of great help.

I think madshrimps.de have a good A64 overclocking guide - it'd be the same for opterons....

Here it is.. and it's madshrimps.be, not de... Good job I had a look myself, or I'd have sent you on a wild goose chase... :oops: 

Have fun! :mrgreen:
!