Sign in with
Your question

Athlon 64 x2 CPU

Last response: in CPUs
March 29, 2006 1:49:42 AM

Ok got a few dumb questions.
first if you purchase the cpu's new in box do they come with a fan and heat sink? if not what would be recommended to get with them.
next if i buy the mobo seperate does it have to be a specialy type, or just 989 pin and thats it? anyways would appreciate any feedback

More about : athlon cpu

March 29, 2006 2:26:55 AM

Quote:
Ok got a few dumb questions.
first if you purchase the cpu's new in box do they come with a fan and heat sink? if not what would be recommended to get with them.
next if i buy the mobo seperate does it have to be a specialy type, or just 989 pin and thats it? anyways would appreciate any feedback

No question is dumb (unless it comes from FUGGER or anybody who is related to him or friends with him) so ask away.

1) All RETAIL AMD and Intel CPU's come with Stock heatsinkfans, and the one that comes with AMD CPU's is damn good

2) You must get a Socket 939 (not 989, hehe that's a Game Developing Company; 989 Studios) that can support the CPU you want (Athlon 64, or Athlon X2, w/e it is)

3) Don't worry about other CPU coolers unless you plan to overclock

If you have any more questions, ask them, don't be afraid.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time
March 29, 2006 2:52:56 AM

i
Quote:
f you have any more questions, ask them, don't be afraid.

Ok, I have one: Will Conroe be 64 bit? 8O :lol: 
Related resources
March 29, 2006 2:54:33 AM

ok lemme just toss the link out there this is what i wanted to get.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

was gonna get 2gb corsair pc3200 ( 1gb modules x 2) and plan to upgrade to 4 later id needed

i already have a 7800gtx 512mb pci-e

150gb raptor and 2 wd 500gb

all with my power supply and case which was a 550w.

let me know how thats looks.~ thanks for you help
March 29, 2006 3:05:53 AM

You can buy that same board and CPU (retail) on NewEgg for $440 and you won't have to fool with TigerDirects $30 coupon, and then they are still $20 more...
March 29, 2006 3:43:50 AM

Quote:
You can buy that same board and CPU (retail) on NewEgg for $440 and you won't have to fool with TigerDirects $30 coupon, and then they are still $20 more...

i cant seem to find that, i found the cpu on there tho, but now ith the mobo combo for 440.

maybe im just getting old and illeterate lol thanks~

edit: i found a board but someone put in a review sayings its not for the dual core cpu, does there have to be a specification on the board to make it compatible beyond just being 939 pin?
March 29, 2006 3:50:16 AM

All 939 sockets support all 939 CPU's... pretty simple...

we're not talking Intel here... :wink:
March 29, 2006 4:02:56 AM

Quote:
All 939 sockets support all 939 CPU's... pretty simple...

we're not talking Intel here... :wink:

hmm so that means any 939 pin mobo supports the dual processor?
March 29, 2006 4:08:46 AM

nods... older ones may need a current BIOS update to auto recognize CPU.
March 29, 2006 12:43:22 PM

Quote:
if you have any more questions, ask them, don't be afraid.

Ok, I have one: Will Conroe be 64 bit? 8O :lol: 

Ooo OOoo I got another question....

If you get 2 Conroes, would that make it a 128bit?

:oops: 
March 29, 2006 12:54:36 PM

Just based on my personal experiences, I would NOT do business with Tiger Direct under any circumstances. My last experience with then was me placing an online order for a part that was clearly listed as being IN STOCK only to find out that it would be in stock in 2 weeks... nice try! I cancelled my order after a week of waiting and went with ZipZoomFly. I hate to sound like a commercial but for me www.zipzoomfly.com and www.newegg.com are about the best companies out there... you've been warned!!!
March 29, 2006 1:24:41 PM

I agree with David Hasselhoff above. Tiger Direct sucks compared to Newegg. I have never used zipzoomfly, so I cannot comment on them. I even gave Tiger Direct the benefit of the doubt and ordered from them 3 times all with bad results. I have had 15 or more completely great transactions with Newegg.
March 29, 2006 1:43:01 PM

I've only ordered once from tigerdirect and it wasn't so bad but it wasn't as good as newegg. I've heard good things from zipzoomfly but I haven't ordered anything from them.
March 29, 2006 2:22:28 PM

Yeah, I agree. Newegg rocks. Every once in a while, I'll order something from Tigerdirect to continue getting their catalogs. They make good reading material while sitting on the can 8O :lol: 
March 29, 2006 3:25:07 PM

Yes, TigerDirect does make good catalogs... just be sure to use them as ideas for product searches on other sites!!!
March 29, 2006 3:49:48 PM

:p  :trophy:
a c 96 à CPUs
March 29, 2006 3:54:03 PM

One other thing- the bottom of the stock heatsink already has thermal grease on it too. So just put the CPU in the socket and clamp the heatsink on it, plug in the fan, and you're good to go.
!