Epson RX-80 Self Test?

Could anyone kindly enlighten me as to how to invoke the onboard
self-test(s) of an Epson RX-80 impact printer?

> Could anyone kindly enlighten me as to how to invoke the onboard
> self-test(s) of an Epson RX-80 impact printer?

First make sure power to the printer is OFF
Hold the on-line button keep your finger on it then power on the printer you
will get a test

do the same trick with LF and/or FF button for different test.

This trick will work with ALL dot matrix printer ;-)

Nemo Oudeheis <nikogo@nigde.net> wrote:
> Could anyone kindly enlighten me as to how to invoke the onboard
> self-test(s) of an Epson RX-80 impact printer?

It's been a long time, but try holding down the LF button while
turning the printer on.

"xevious" <bobino69@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> First make sure power to the printer is OFF
> Hold the on-line button keep your finger on it then power on the printer
> you
> will get a test
>
> do the same trick with LF and/or FF button for different test.

One of those combinations -- I think it's holding down both -- puts the
printer in 'hex dump' mode where it just prints out the hexadecimal values
of everything sent to the parallel port.

It was handy, some twenty years ago, for debugging software that was trying
to print graphics.

(Anybody else remember some of the BASIC example programs that came with
those old Epson printers? Some of the graphics patterns they did were quite
impressive...)