Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Dell X50 surfaces

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 2:57:56 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

RE Dell X50 : Well looks like it's out, and - lucky bastards - buyers
get the newest media player 10 for pocket PC :

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/devices/devicedi...;PPC;americas;133
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/...

O Well, only a year until Dell lets 'Europe' have a pop I guess
What do you rate my chances of upgrading my X3i to WM10 :-p

Cheers - Neil

More about : dell x50 surfaces

October 13, 2004 2:57:57 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

I still think the X30 is a good bargain ... the X50 is $180 more

"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:75pom09qjkg53t9qbi0rfmep3ml71slfnk@4ax.com...
> RE Dell X50 : Well looks like it's out, and - lucky bastards - buyers
> get the newest media player 10 for pocket PC :
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/devices/devicedi...;PPC;americas;133
> http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/...
>
> O Well, only a year until Dell lets 'Europe' have a pop I guess
> What do you rate my chances of upgrading my X3i to WM10 :-p
>
> Cheers - Neil
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 3:08:12 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

I just ordered the X30 High on Friday.
Is there that much of a difference from MP 9 for PPC to MP 10?

Thanks,

Jack Barrett
My Web Site: http://windsurf_2.tripod.com
RSG Link: http://rec-sport-golf.com?rc=jack




"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:75pom09qjkg53t9qbi0rfmep3ml71slfnk@4ax.com...
> RE Dell X50 : Well looks like it's out, and - lucky bastards - buyers
> get the newest media player 10 for pocket PC :
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/devices/devicedi...;PPC;americas;133
> http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/...
>
> O Well, only a year until Dell lets 'Europe' have a pop I guess
> What do you rate my chances of upgrading my X3i to WM10 :-p
>
> Cheers - Neil
Related resources
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 3:08:13 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"Jack Barrett" <jack4450@frontiernet.net> wrote in message
news:wtZad.9118$7x7.5412@news02.roc.ny...
> I just ordered the X30 High on Friday.
> Is there that much of a difference from MP 9 for PPC to MP 10?

Probably not.

All WMP "upgrades" are all about DRM and other copyright
protection now. A lot has been said about improvements
to "security" as well, but that's usually the content provider's
"security", not yours.

There has been NO significant
change in the core performance of the player for
quite some time, if anything, it gets more bloated
and consumes more CPU to play the SAME
clip with each version.

>
> Thanks,
>
> Jack Barrett
> My Web Site: http://windsurf_2.tripod.com
> RSG Link: http://rec-sport-golf.com?rc=jack
>
>
>
>
> "Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message
> news:75pom09qjkg53t9qbi0rfmep3ml71slfnk@4ax.com...
> > RE Dell X50 : Well looks like it's out, and - lucky bastards - buyers
> > get the newest media player 10 for pocket PC :
> >
> >
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/devices/devicedi...;PPC;americas;133
> >
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/...
> >
> > O Well, only a year until Dell lets 'Europe' have a pop I guess
> > What do you rate my chances of upgrading my X3i to WM10 :-p
> >
> > Cheers - Neil
>
>
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 3:26:55 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

The estimated ship date is 11/17/04. I wonder how accurate that is?

Mitch

"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:75pom09qjkg53t9qbi0rfmep3ml71slfnk@4ax.com...
> RE Dell X50 : Well looks like it's out, and - lucky bastards - buyers
> get the newest media player 10 for pocket PC :
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/devices/devicedi...;PPC;americas;133
> http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/...
>
> O Well, only a year until Dell lets 'Europe' have a pop I guess
> What do you rate my chances of upgrading my X3i to WM10 :-p
>
> Cheers - Neil
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 8:30:21 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 22:57:56 GMT, "Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]"
<neil@nospam.com> wrote:

>RE Dell X50 : Well looks like it's out, and - lucky bastards - buyers
>get the newest media player 10 for pocket PC :
>
>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/devices/devicedi...;PPC;americas;133
>http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/...
>
>O Well, only a year until Dell lets 'Europe' have a pop I guess
>What do you rate my chances of upgrading my X3i to WM10 :-p
>
>Cheers - Neil

On the MS Windows Media site, it says that the X30 will be upgradeable
to WMP 10. I am not sure about the X3i (might be, seeing the 2 are
similar).


***
....the Phoenix shall rise...
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 2:32:16 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 18:39:22 -0700, "V Green" <vanceg@nowhere.net>
wrote:

>
>"Jack Barrett" <jack4450@frontiernet.net> wrote in message
>news:wtZad.9118$7x7.5412@news02.roc.ny...
>> I just ordered the X30 High on Friday.
>> Is there that much of a difference from MP 9 for PPC to MP 10?
>
>Probably not.
>
>All WMP "upgrades" are all about DRM and other copyright
>protection now.

I'm reading here that there are changes from the 'flat' playlist and
media library to a proper heirarchy of album/artist/genre etc.

Album art looks like a worthwhile addition, afaik you can't do that on
WMP9 for PPC. And it now seems to 'support' 640x480 video. Dunno if
that will be available on the X50 or not, we'll have to wait & see.

Also included (but not implemented yet) is for developers to add
support for codecs, like 3GPP for phones which you couldn't used to
do.

But they *have* included the WM Audio lossless (marginal use, due to
large file sizes) and Photo story (again, marginal) codecs.

Looks like Aximsite have gone the whole hog too and benchmarked the
X50 against an HP model - though the graphics speed and screen clarity
looks like a bit of a letdown just yet, it could be the benchmarks
aren't up to the new video acceleration.

Paul Thurrots site has a review of WM10/PPC just up yesterday :
http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/wmp10_mobile.asp

His closing comment runs correctly like this : "Stupidly, Windows
Media Player 10 Mobile will only be made available to consumers who
purchase new Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition-based portable
devices"

Seems like a bloody-stupid choice of forced-upgrade again if you want
it :-P
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 2:33:39 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Yeah. I'm happy with my X3i, I just wish Dell had some commitment to
existing customers in their corporate mentality : there's no way for
me to get up as far as WM2003 2nd edition, even though my Axim uses
the same hardware as the X30 :-p

Cheers - Neil

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 18:33:57 -0500, "Ann" <nospam@netzero.com> wrote:

>I still think the X30 is a good bargain ... the X50 is $180 more
>
>"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message
>news:75pom09qjkg53t9qbi0rfmep3ml71slfnk@4ax.com...
>> RE Dell X50 : Well looks like it's out, and - lucky bastards - buyers
>> get the newest media player 10 for pocket PC :
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/devices/devicedi...;PPC;americas;133
>> http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/...
>>
>> O Well, only a year until Dell lets 'Europe' have a pop I guess
>> What do you rate my chances of upgrading my X3i to WM10 :-p
>>
>> Cheers - Neil
>
!