Help! new 6800GT agp crashing in games

solarflashlight

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
i just got a galaxy glacial 6800GT 256mb agp card(this card has a stock arctic silencer 5) to replace my 9600XT. i popped it in, connected the power cable (molex connector)?, installed forceware 84.25. and started oblivion. 3 minutes in, colors went crazy, 2 seconds later it froze. almost behaving as if its a bad OC.

card system idle temp at 56C. it will crash the game at around 62C, i tried command and conquer generals, and it remained at 56C, only running oblivion it will rapidly increase in temperature and crash after 3 minutes.
i don't have another game to try to see if this is game specific or the card's fault.

the fan spins.
Absolutely nothing is OCed,

bios settings
1.5V agp
128mb agp aperture
fast write off.

system
Athlon XP 2800+
MSI n-force2 board.
1 gig kingston ram
windows xp sp2

i tried 84.21 drivers, also the driver that comes with the cd, 78.01.
nothing worked. i'm connecting the molex directly from the powersupply, without anythingelse attached, directly into the card, it doesn't help if i use the y-cable provided with the card.

any input is greatly appreciated!

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
I believe your problem hanges on the gpu.check with the manufacturer of the card and see if they overclocked it at all.also,the 6800 series gpus run noticably hot so it might very well be a chip issue.However,there are many different aftermarket heatsinks for video cards these days,you may end up just buying a new fan and heatsink that will cool it better.goodluck

darrk

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
hiya, i am no expert , but from what i have read on these issues with cards it could well be that your PSU is not powerful enough,what is the wattage of your PSU?

Kodiak666

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
I used to have a problem with my 6800GT. After a few minutes play of GTA San Andreas the game graphics went haywire; everything looked very messed up.

The problem was I had just added another Hard Drive (to a different power rail) and the 6800GT wasn't getting enough power.

What wattage is the rating of your power supple? Inadiquate power to the GPU would be my guess for your problems!

If you have a secondary hard drive (or two or three, like me :p) I would suggest disconnecting it temporarily to test this.