Raid 0 setup

htoon

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Hello

I have two identical sata 2 drives in raid 0 setup. It is shown in post test. My system utility also confirms that i have raid 0 setup.

I want to know if my raid 0 setup is working or not. When i save my files, they are not saved on two hard drives. They are saved only on one drive. Is it normal? I am new to raid setup and i would appreciate you all for your comments.

Thank.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Hello

I have two identical sata 2 drives in raid 0 setup. It is shown in post test. My system utility also confirms that i have raid 0 setup.

I want to know if my raid 0 setup is working or not. When i save my files, they are not saved on two hard drives. They are saved only on one drive. Is it normal? I am new to raid setup and i would appreciate you all for your comments.

Thank.

Uhm...hmm....did you make sure to format the RAID under Windows after you created it?

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time

htoon

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Thank you for your reply. I am sorry that i do not get what you mean by "format the RAID under Windows after you created it"

I am not using software raid. I have a built-in raid controller. I have no idea whether my raid setup is working or not.

Do you have any thoughts.

Thanks

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Thank you for your reply. I am sorry that i do not get what you mean by "format the RAID under Windows after you created it"

I am not using software raid. I have a built-in raid controller. I have no idea whether my raid setup is working or not.

Do you have any thoughts.

Thanks

You still have to format the RAID. Go into Disk Management (Right-Click "My Computer", go to "Manage", click "Disk Management", Right-Click the RAID (it will appear as one big drive) than click "Format"). After that, the RAID should be available.

PS: You have to format RAID's regardless of if they are Software or Hardware.

htoon

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Thank you once again.

i can go to disk management. i can not right click the RAID to format. Can you tell me how. I am using winxp professional sp2.

You still have to format the RAID. Go into Disk Management (Right-Click "My Computer", go to "Manage", click "Disk Management", Right-Click the RAID (it will appear as one big drive) than click "Format"). After that, the RAID should be available.

Thank you.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Thank you once again.

i can go to disk management. i can not right click the RAID to format. Can you tell me how. I am using winxp professional sp2.

Thank you.

Can you tell me the size of the drives in your RAID and what Disk Management tells you the size of the different drives are inside your system that it displays?

htoon

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
hello

i think my setup is not right. I wonder why my system utility and post screen say i have raid 0 set up. But window does not recognize as a single large drive. can you explain me how to correct my problem.

Thanks.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
hello

i think my setup is not right. I wonder why my system utility and post screen say i have raid 0 set up. But window does not recognize as a single large drive. can you explain me how to correct my problem.

Thanks.

The screens you're referring to may just be telling you they are recognizing the drives, it should popup a message that says "Hit F4 to setup RAID" or something like that. I would look online for some help with RAID, as I have to leave in a few hours (meh, I love my bed :)) and I need ma sleep, drop me a PM if you still need help and I'll get back later today, peace.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
I know a quick down and dirty way to figure it out.

Install HDTach and run it. When the first screen pops up and asks you which drive you want to benchmark it will say "Stripe RAID: blah blah" if it doesn't say stripe your not using RAID.

@Mike, not a thing wrong with your way, just too much effort for me lol. :tongue:

htoon

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
I know a quick down and dirty way to figure it out.

Install HDTach and run it. When the first screen pops up and asks you which drive you want to benchmark it will say "Stripe RAID: blah blah" if it doesn't say stripe your not using RAID.

@Mike, not a thing wrong with your way, just too much effort for me lol. :tongue:

Hello

i install hdtach and run it as you have suggested. i see stripe raid, and the software give me the 202.4 Mbps in burst speed test. does that mean my raid setup is working.? then why do i see two hard drives. Should i see only one logical hard drive. and also when i save files , files are saved only on one drive. what is wrong with me or my setup. do you know.

Thanks.

cd14

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
htoon: Your raid needs to be set up in the "raid bios" first, as MadModMike said. You'll need to have your motherboard manual and the raid driver disk to accomplish this. You'll also have to decide if you want raid 0(striped) or 1 (mirrored). The manual should tell you what key to press to get into the raid bios setup. Once you are in, you can set the drives to be configured as raid 0/1 (all data will be destroyed). Important: since this is hardware raid (sort of) supported by your motherboard...it must be configured prior to installing Windows. Once the setup is complete, you can reboot and enter the raid bios again to see that it is. After that, reboot with the Windows disc to intall it. Watch the messages at the bottom of the screen and look for a message about "3rd party device drivers." Press F6 and insert the floppy disk to install the raid driver. When you get to the option about the partition size, you will only see one drive. Set your Windows install partition as you like (the remaining can be used for data and can be configured in the "Disk Management" tool, after the Windows install). Once the install is ready to reboot, remove the driver disk. And that should be it. Windows should only see one drive in the "Disk Management" tool. Hope this helps.