Hand me down delima P4 2.4 chip

IWTFJT

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
Hi there masta modders...

I have a slight delima here hope to get some advice.

I was just given two P4 2.4 Gig processor.
Its such a waste to just let it sit there but at the same time I dont want to spend a couple hundred bucks to build a 3 year old technology.

I was searching if there are dual P4 mobo but couldn't find any.

Any suggestions on weather if it would be worth building any machine with these chips?

Is it even possible to get a PCI-e mobo (for future proofing) for this chip? I believe its a socket 478.

Thanks in advance... newbie need help.

Cheers...

Oh I saw on the other post that a person wants to build a budget gaming machine, an upgrade from his current 2.4 Gig P4 ... :oops: heehee and I'm contemplating building a 2.4 Gig P4... :lol:

Blackhawk3D

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2004
Sorry about that! It's a fine processor for basic stuff, but when I want to run Chaos theory at 1024x768 or higher with good quality settings AND play online, it just doesn't cut it.

IWTFJT

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
hey no worries Blackhawk 3D. Dont be sorry about it... be happy.

I'm just messing with you :)

Different strokes for different folks

A 2.4 P4 (is it a 400, 533, or 800 Mhz fsb unit?), although certainly still useful for office work and surfing, is not really a useful processor for building a gaming rig around, save for perhaps some Q3, Medal of Honor, and some older games for kids, etc...; it would also make for a decent SFF non-gaming rig....

I wouldn't look for a PCI-e mainboard for it/them...; you should be able to find some fairly inexpensive socket 478/865 chipset boards for them..

gambit6259

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
You could always get it up and running and use it as a file server if you already a better system to use. You if you looking to get building experience the go for it, buy some cheap parts and throw it together!

jap0nes

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
hmmmm i dont think there are any dual P4 motherboard.. besides, you would need smp versions of a P4 (as far as i remember there were no smp version of P4, only xeons).
correct me if i'm wrong

icbluscrn

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
I have a 2.4 (478) 533mhz fsb and overclocked it (2.8g). There are not any dual socket 478 mobo. as far a mobo with pci they are hard to find cause there is only like 4 socket (478) mobo's that support pci e, I have been looking for 1 for a long time. On ebay you can get 1 for about $170-300.

Mobius

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2002

Hmmm. A "delima" huh? Is that a shortage of lima beans? Or maybe an excess of them? Maybe you don't mean beans at all? Maybe your brain is full of beans? Maybe it's got something to do with Limes? I don't know.

But what I do know is the word you were struggling to find is "dilemma".

dilemma
A noun
1 dilemma, quandary
state of uncertainty or perplexity especially as requiring a choice between equally unfavorable options
Category Tree:
state
╚cognitive state; state of mind
╚confusion; mental confusion; confusedness; disarray
╚perplexity
╚dilemma, quandary
╚double bind

It's spelled just the way it is pronounced, which I suppose makes it too easy to spell, and therefore you wanted to "spice it up a bit" with your "new age" spelling? Good luck with that in the future. That spelling ability is going to take you a long way in the corporate world! ;)

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006

Hmmm. A "delima" huh? Is that a shortage of lima beans? Or maybe an excess of them? Maybe you don't mean beans at all? Maybe your brain is full of beans? Maybe it's got something to do with Limes? I don't know.

dilemma
A noun
1 dilemma, quandary
state of uncertainty or perplexity especially as requiring a choice between equally unfavorable options
Category Tree:
state
╚perplexity
╚dilemma, quandary
╚double bind

It's spelled just the way it is pronounced, which I suppose makes it too easy to spell, and therefore you wanted to "spice it up a bit" with your "new age" spelling? Good luck with that in the future. That spelling ability is going to take you a long way in the corporate world! ;)
You have a very weak sense of humor. Get out more often.

IWTFJT

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
Thanks for the inputs guys...

I have been trying to source for refurbish / used parts but none so far that I can get hold of at a decent price.

Looking at the current price of up to date components, building a P4 2.4 machine from scratch does not seems to make sense.

Oh this unit is a 533 Mhz I believe.

The novelty of making a processor into a key ring is no longer there either :wink:

I guess the chips would need to lay around doing nothing until I come accross some working mobo at a decent price

Fungalberry

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006

dilemma
A noun
1 dilemma, quandary
Category Tree:
state
╚perplexity
╚dilemma, quandary
╚double bind

That...helped.