Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

I Bought a new computer and want to use the XP that is
on my old computer. I am going to retire the old
computer. I bought the Windows XP back in March. Am I
going to have trouble registering XP?

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

Chuck wrote:
> I Bought a new computer and want to use the XP that is
> on my old computer. I am going to retire the old
> computer. I bought the Windows XP back in March. Am I
> going to have trouble registering XP?

Assuming a retail license (OEM licenses are not transferable),
simply remove WinXP from the computer it is currently on, and install
it onto the new one. If it's been more than 120 days since you last
activated that specific Product Key, you'll most likely be able to
activate via the Internet without problem. If it's been less, you
might have to make a 5 minute phone call.

Here are the facts pertaining to activation:

Piracy Basics - Microsoft Product Activation
http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/basics/activation/

Windows Product Activation (WPA)
http://www.aumha.org/a/wpa.htm

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever
count on having both at once. - RAH

If it was a full retail XP Home you bought, it will install
on your new computer BUT if it was an upgrade to XP Home,
what OS is on the new computer as qualifying product? Your
new computer likely comes with XP Home installed already.
If you built a custom computer, you'll need some full
install CD, either to do a clean install or as a CD just to
prove eligibility.

"Bruce Chambers" <bruce_a_chambers@h0tmail.com> wrote in
message news:%23tc3$oBlEHA.1904@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...