Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Firefox 18 Posts Speed Gains Over Chrome, Mozilla Says

Last response: in News comments
September 29, 2012 7:12:14 PM

Good. Now focus on the UI latency. Having the entire browser (Firefox) freeze up completely while a background tab is loading is not right. It's not the fault of single-process either, because Opera is also single-process and doesn't have the freeze problem.
Score
September 29, 2012 7:22:23 PM

Nice, but we're still at v15
Score
September 29, 2012 7:43:05 PM

PheruleGood. Now focus on the UI latency. Having the entire browser (Firefox) freeze up completely while a background tab is loading is not right. It's not the fault of single-process either, because Opera is also single-process and doesn't have the freeze problem.
Yeah, on Linux I've had it freeze so bad because of a script, that I had to kill the process.
Score
September 29, 2012 7:53:47 PM

PheruleGood. Now focus on the UI latency. Having the entire browser (Firefox) freeze up completely while a background tab is loading is not right. It's not the fault of single-process either, because Opera is also single-process and doesn't have the freeze problem.

One of the few Projects that get constant progress reports is Snappy (related to responsiveness of FF), you may take a look at it here. It may not be much of a consolation, but it shows that they are working on it seriously.
Score
September 29, 2012 7:59:35 PM

I agree with the UI speed comment, no matter how fast Firefox gets in benchmarks it never FEELS as fast as Chrome or Opera, things like opening a bunch of links in background tabs never feels as snappy, often lagging and appearing to freeze, the startup time isn't as fast, it doesn't stay as snappy over days of leaving it open, etc.
Score
September 29, 2012 8:02:09 PM

That said, I wish Chrome had Firefoxs GPU acceleratoin, smooth scrolling, and smooth font rendering. Give it those things and it would be near perfect.
Score
September 29, 2012 8:24:33 PM

tipooThat said, I wish Chrome had Firefoxs GPU acceleratoin, smooth scrolling, and smooth font rendering. Give it those things and it would be near perfect.

Chrome does have GPU acceleration. Smooth scrolling you can download an extension. Smooth font rendering, well I'm still looking for that one.

I might have to give FireFox a whirl again.
Score
September 29, 2012 9:00:50 PM

i really like firefox but lately it's been acting up....a lot
Score
September 29, 2012 9:26:14 PM

Just stop Firefox from freezing up on scripts and Flash. I keep Flash disabled for that reason more than anything.
Score
September 29, 2012 9:40:52 PM

If I load one too many Flash stuff onto version 15 Firefox or Aurora (or Waterfox), it has a tendency of freezing or crashing...
Score
September 29, 2012 9:44:55 PM

Shin-sanNice, but we're still at v15

Officially, yes. You could, however, use Beta (v16), Aurora (v17), or Nightly (v18). Personally having used all of them I find Aurora to be stunningly stable and all around more enjoyable to use than any other browser. Stay away from Nightly, though, it's a plague of epic bookmark deleting proportions.
Score
September 29, 2012 10:19:34 PM

To further add to the bitching above. Lets get it together Mozilla and focus on the important stuff. Drives me nuts having a pop up message say the browser needs to restart because something I can't see supposedly crashed less than 5 minutes after I open it almost daily. Thankfully this isn't like days of old where it would automatically shut it down and you can cancel out of it, but it's rather annoying.
Score
September 29, 2012 10:51:38 PM

tipooThat said, I wish Chrome had Firefoxs GPU acceleratoin, smooth scrolling, and smooth font rendering. Give it those things and it would be near perfect.

Chrome does have smooth scrolling. Under chrome://flags/ just enable Smooth Scrolling.
Score
Anonymous
September 29, 2012 10:54:29 PM

Just image how fast will firefox 34 be...
Score
September 29, 2012 11:17:32 PM

Hi-larious, since today the Firefox 18.0A1 64-bit build is bricked out of the box with today's build.

I updated it today, and the 64-bit (and I think the 32-bit may also be) version shouldn't have been released (today), since it doesn't even run. And since I run that version as my default browser, oops!

(And yes, obviously I have backup browsers for just this kind of case, in fact, I'm currently running the release version of Firefox, so yes, I think I have a pretty good handle on things, tyfm...)
Score
September 30, 2012 12:53:09 AM

Haha, I downloaded chrome this morning after using firefox for 2 years, and this is one of the first pages I open up :) 
Score
September 30, 2012 1:16:12 AM

I don't care what anyone says, Chrome just never feels right for me - basic (in fact, Tom's) websites don't seem to render correctly - I go crazy just comparing how pages are rendered in IE, FF and Chrome, and Chrome is the all-around loser...but, Chrome does feel really fast and responsive. I've never really noticed this infamous FF slowdown some of you keep bringing up, but maybe if I stuck with Chrome and then went back to Firefox I'd have a more objective comparison.
Score
September 30, 2012 4:37:13 AM

Ever since Chrome got NoScript, I switched from Firefox and never looked back...

...said no-one ever.

Seriously, NoScript or GTFO.
Score
September 30, 2012 5:31:40 AM

And yet internet explorer is still stuck at version 9 and you wonder why soo many people have went to firefox or chrome over the past few years.....
Score
September 30, 2012 6:49:01 AM

Whats the difference between Firefox 4.0 and 18? Not much.
Isn't this actually Firefox 4.66?
Score
September 30, 2012 7:01:14 AM

ShadeHavenChrome does have smooth scrolling. Under chrome://flags/ just enable Smooth Scrolling.

See but how many average users know that option even exists? There are so many options, such as "send to mobile" that should just be in the regular settings that you have to go into the /flags/ to even see or know of.

Also as a chrome user, glad to know this is an option there haha. wish it was in standard settings tho... cmon Google
Score
September 30, 2012 7:53:20 AM

byteheadI updated it today, and the 64-bit (and I think the 32-bit may also be) version shouldn't have been released (today), since it doesn't even run.

Why not? It compiled, therefore it is perfectly acceptable for it to be published. It's a testing branch (it's pre-alpha) that is automatically built every 24 hours and published to FTP server if it successfully compiles. It is not guaranteed to work at all.

byteheadAnd since I run that version as my default browser, oops!

Running a pre-alpha build of a browser in a "production" environment and whinging when it doesn't work. Yes, oops. We call that user error.
Score
September 30, 2012 3:46:27 PM

Quote:
It compiled

My first draft of a program will compile. Doesn't mean that I want to even think about trying to execute it.

It seems to me that I remember that Mozilla had a system that not only would make sure that a program would run, but would also exercise it to make sure that they got the results they were expecting out of the various program actions.

But what happened certainly isn't unexpected. Usually when it fails like this, at least it gets a little further down the road before it craps out. When I see that the next nightly is available (and that's not today), I'll download and install and be back to normal.

Quote:
Running a pre-alpha build of a browser in a "production" environment

The nightly is alpha, not pre-slpha. The fact that you cannot parse that tells me plenty.

My "production" environment in this case is my home. And as I stated, I am well prepared with alternate browsers. Now, why would I run something like an alpha? Mainly because I figure that I will run into issues such as crashing and situations like this, because I like the product and have no issue with dealing with such issues because I expect a better program at the end.

As far as me whining about the situation, it was more the synchronicity of seeing a good article about FF 18.0A1 on the same day that the Windows version was nerfed, not the fact that Firefox was screwed for that day.

I've been running the alpha version for over a year if not years. What have you done for Firefox lately? And have you done it as long as I have?
Score
September 30, 2012 6:18:48 PM

byteheadThe nightly is alpha, not pre-slpha.
Currently, Firefox 15 is stable.
16 is beta
17 is alpha (Aurora)
18 is pre-alpha (Nightly)

lockhrt999http://gnoted.com/3-hacks-for-fire [...] ing-speed/These few hacks have increased speed of FF noticably! Thumbs up if they increase your FF's speed too.
Hmm okay, let's see:

"Reduce the amount of RAM Firefox uses for it’s cache feature"
Cache speeds up browsing. This will slow it down, not speed it up.

"Increase the Speed in Which Firefox loads pages - pipelining etc"
Latest stable Firefox builds come with this enabled by default.

"Reduce RAM usage to 10mb when Firefox is minimized"
This isn't going to increase Firefox's speed.

We are talking UI speed here. The hacks you linked supposedly improve browsing speed, and browsing speed has next to NOTHING to do with UI speed.
Score
September 30, 2012 6:32:59 PM

^oh yes. I don't use the cache thing myself and didn't know that pipelining came enabled these days.
Score
September 30, 2012 7:22:23 PM

byteheadI've been running the alpha version for over a year if not years. What have you done for Firefox lately? And have you done it as long as I have?

You sound like a real douche.
Score
September 30, 2012 7:31:34 PM

Flash/script freezing/crashing have been going on for ages but they don't give a xxxx. Now I have to click twice within Yahoo Mail for anything to happen with FF15. I still use FF but it is going down fast.
Score
September 30, 2012 8:12:04 PM

lockhrt999^oh yes. I don't use the cache thing myself
Caching is enabled by default. He was talking about reducing the quantity of data cached, which would slow down browsing in the medium and long term.

wlachanFlash/script freezing/crashing have been going on for ages but they don't give a xxxx. Now I have to click twice within Yahoo Mail for anything to happen with FF15. I still use FF but it is going down fast.
Nah, Firefox 15 is waaaay better than Firefox 4. People just don't notice as much because the incremental increases are so gradual.
Score
September 30, 2012 8:44:54 PM

byteheadI've been running the alpha version for over a year if not years. What have you done for Firefox lately? And have you done it as long as I have?

Running a browser daily... even IE6 users can do that. If you did not find and report dozens of bugs/regressions during these years, your dev-version usage meant very little, other than the collected telemetry data.
Pherule"Reduce the amount of RAM Firefox uses for it’s cache feature"
Cache speeds up browsing. This will slow it down, not speed it up.

Read this post on Cache usage.
wlachanFlash/script freezing/crashing have been going on for ages but they don't give a xxxx. Now I have to click twice within Yahoo Mail for anything to happen with FF15. I still use FF but it is going down fast.

Maybe you did not hear it, but Adobe is at fault here. Those idiots at Adobe tried to fix a bug, what was mostly fixed years before with the Plugin-Container. They tried to fix this non-existing bug with basically the same method. And most possibly, they did not listen to the testers, as there were several beta builds for 11.3, and it is certain that with such crash-rate, the instability of 11.3 series was found out very fast.

P.s.: These enormous failures sometimes make me think that Adobe does this on purpose...
Score
September 30, 2012 10:00:47 PM

sarcasmChrome does have GPU acceleration. Smooth scrolling you can download an extension. Smooth font rendering, well I'm still looking for that one. I might have to give FireFox a whirl again.

Not as extensive GPU acceleration as Firefox or IE9/10, it just uses the GPU for basic things, look at any GPU acceleration test. And I've yet to find a smooth scrolling extension for Chrome that didn't chunk out intermittantly. On my 1920x1080 15 inch laptop screen the font thing is particularly noticeable as I have to set the default browser zoom pretty high, Firefox font is nice and smooth, Chrome is chunky. Chrome is still my favorite browser, but I wish it had those three things from Firefox, or Firefox got a UI as snappy as Chrome.
Score
October 1, 2012 5:35:58 AM

srapRunning a browser daily... even IE6 users can do that.

Yep, they do. But they don't tend to report bugs (to bugzilla, or follow the ones that they find that have already been submitted and report my findings), they don't tend to go find which version broke something, and they don't work on Fridays, trying to bust the current beta the week before it is supposed to be released. They don't participate in the forum that deals with the nightly version, either. They don't have to deal with extensions, popular ones at that, that all of sudden no longer work, and either figure out what went wrong, and/or report the issue the the extension author.

But those are the things that I have participated in with mozilla.org.

I'm not trying to be a douche here. You (or anybody else for that matter) may not like or appreciate what I do, but to put people down without knowing crap is already pretty douchey.
Score
October 1, 2012 9:35:50 AM

tipooNot as extensive GPU acceleration as Firefox or IE9/10, it just uses the GPU for basic things, look at any GPU acceleration test. And I've yet to find a smooth scrolling extension for Chrome that didn't chunk out intermittantly. On my 1920x1080 15 inch laptop screen the font thing is particularly noticeable as I have to set the default browser zoom pretty high, Firefox font is nice and smooth, Chrome is chunky. Chrome is still my favorite browser, but I wish it had those three things from Firefox, or Firefox got a UI as snappy as Chrome.

What you're saying is true. But I didn't know that was related to GPU acceleration.
Chrome doesn't even anti alias fonts from google's own library where as FF and IE do.

Also it'll be great if FF comes with flash, JRE, pdf reader pre-installed.
Score
Anonymous
October 1, 2012 10:49:43 AM

Not sure I care anymore about the frequent upgrades. Google does them with little fanfare anymore.
If you want speed Chrome is the browser hands down. If you want extensions that may or may not break each time Firefox is updated then Firefox is the most flexible browser. IE of course just sucks. It will never keep up with the rest having a lumbering bloated corporate giant like Microsoft developing it.
Score
October 1, 2012 11:06:36 AM

i'll stick with chrome until they fix the freezes, they dropped so many updates and didnt fix it
Score
October 2, 2012 2:01:16 PM

lockhrt999Also it'll be great if FF comes with flash, JRE, pdf reader pre-installed.
Not necessarily. Some users consider these 'features' potential security holes and would prefer for Firefox to come without them. What might be an idea is to release Firefox with them, but during installation, give the user the option to uncheck them.

jescott418If you want speed Chrome is the browser hands down.
Nope. With regards to speed, Opera > Chrome > Firefox.
Score
October 2, 2012 4:14:59 PM

lockhrt999...

PDF support is under construction, it is already present in 15, disabled by default.

about:config
pdfjs.disabled; false
Score
September 16, 2013 5:18:33 PM

recently my experience with google chrome is that it has slowed down tremendously. to the point of I dont want to use it any more. on the other hand firefox is at least 5 times quicker now, loads pages quicker.I am surprised because originally chrome was my pick but like anything good thing they usually find a way to screw it up.kudos to firefox.!
Score
!