Sign in with
Your question

What is better to use!!!

Last response: in Components
March 29, 2006 8:45:30 AM

:twisted: [/b]I'm about to use Prime95 or sp2004. Which program is better to test my computer out for stability? Look at my sig for my set up. I dont' plan to oc at this time, but later I will.

More about : question

March 29, 2006 9:13:09 AM

Run both, and SANDRA 2005.SR3 aswell. :p 
March 30, 2006 12:39:09 AM

Your system sucks, give it to me and buy a new one.

All joking aside, I use Prime95. I have also heard that Folding@home is a good test too.
Related resources
March 30, 2006 7:14:03 PM

from what i understand...sp2004 IS prime95 in terms of the actual tests in runs, and the difference is the appearance. The creator just made a few more ways to know visually (like from another room) if the program is still running or if it failed and stopped

someone correct me if im wrong

edit:
http://sp2004.fre3.com/

read that...its like a page worth
March 30, 2006 9:28:23 PM

:twisted:
Quote:
from what i understand...sp2004 IS prime95 in terms of the actual tests in runs, and the difference is the appearance. The creator just made a few more ways to know visually (like from another room) if the program is still running or if it failed and stopped

someone correct me if im wrong

edit:
http://sp2004.fre3.com/

read that...its like a page worth

Ok. So, now since I got my new rig going finally. What is the purpose to do all these testings? Could it damage ur cpu or anything? Or is it just to see how stable your comp is?
March 30, 2006 9:45:09 PM

Prime95 basically torchers the CPU to its limits.

It is one tool to see if your system is stable CPU wise, OC or not.

Newer CPUs should have a back throttle feature if temps are a problem. It also can help burn in a new fresh installation.

The only way you can really damage or kill a processor is over-volting system components. (CPU, RAM, Video Card)
March 31, 2006 5:06:55 AM

Quote:
Prime95 basically torchers the CPU to its limits.

It is one tool to see if your system is stable CPU wise, OC or not.

Newer CPUs should have a back throttle feature if temps are a problem. It also can help burn in a new fresh installation.

The only way you can really damage or kill a processor is over-volting system components. (CPU, RAM, Video Card)

got it. thanks :twisted:
March 31, 2006 6:52:32 PM

Prime95 can also isolate memory subsystem related faults faster than MemTest86+, even if MemTest86/+ can't see any faults with RAM.

================================================

You can run Prime95 from two different folders (or more, up to 32 should be OK) at once btw, so it hits both CPUs and memory at once.

It will cut your testing time in half if you have a dual-core system.... if you are not already doing it. Even on single-core with HyperThreading you'll still gain a fair bit of time. On quad-core it helps heaps ;) 

Tabris - Recommended Prime95 settings.txt:

Min FFT size (in K): 128
Max FFT size (in K): 4096 (or larger if supported)
Run FFTs in place: Disabled / Off
Memory to use (in MB): 1/n *
Time to run each FFT size (in minutes): As low as 15 and as high as 60 minutes to personal taste. (15 min recommended though, even for todays systems)

* - Where n is the number of cores/threads the system can run in parallel, and how many Prime95 instances are being run, each from their own folder at the same time.

eg: 4 threads at once = 1/4 memory = eg: 4 GB total, so 1024 MB each

Prime95 can detect errors in calculations (usually caused by faulty, or misconfigured, memory, or overclocking CPU to far), I don't know if SuperPI can though.

================================================
April 3, 2006 6:04:44 AM

Ever since I ran prime95 my computer hasn't been the same. When I'm downloading my computer runs really slow. So, I don't know what's up with my comp. I might of damaged my cpu.
April 3, 2006 11:44:59 AM

I generally use prime 95 and used to use seti@home. Any of the @home s should do. First time I’ve heard of prime 95 causing such trouble.

You cannot damage your CPU by using prime (overclocking is a different story though)
April 4, 2006 4:55:18 AM

Quote:
I generally use prime 95 and used to use seti@home. Any of the @home s should do. First time I’ve heard of prime 95 causing such trouble.

You cannot damage your CPU by using prime (overclocking is a different story though)

Well what could cause this to lag???? I use bit torrent (azuerus) and I really get laggy. And it shouldn't be happening with my comp? :twisted:
April 4, 2006 1:24:21 PM

It should not effect your internet connection. Check taskmaster to see what programs are running in the background.
April 5, 2006 8:25:40 AM

Quote:
It should not effect your internet connection. Check taskmaster to see what programs are running in the background.

Well I did and nothing out of the ordinary. Just the same stuff I usually run. :twisted:
April 5, 2006 9:35:53 AM

did you try checking what programs are accessing the net? A good firewall should give you this info. I know that kerio gives you a list with howmuch bandwith is used by which program.
April 5, 2006 8:13:27 PM

Quote:
did you try checking what programs are accessing the net? A good firewall should give you this info. I know that kerio gives you a list with howmuch bandwith is used by which program.

What is kerio? And how do you get that program? :twisted:
!