Quad 7600 GT or Dual 7900 GT

Lacostiade

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
which choice is better, plz tell me ASAP since people are saying that quad SLI is a waste of money and no games support SLI and BLA BLA BLA, and so i'm in a confusion wasteland.

Dual 7900 GTs would cost me $100 less whereas quad 7600 GTs would boost my performance a lot.

Do games have to support sli for complete use of the GPUs?

answer me and tell me ur choice, thanx a lot.

ijsco

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
What kind of motherboard are you planning to use with the quad setup ?
As for the dual setup choose a motherboard with true PCI-E X16 like the Asus A8N32 deluxe cause SLI isn't just about adding some core frequenties together.

ikaz

Distinguished
I think most people will tell you don't go SLI if you not buying the top of the line cards. I think a better choose would be signal 7900GTX then down the road you could add a 2nd if you want (by then though I'm a bigger signal card will be out).

However if you hell bend on SLI I would got with 2 7900GT, have to remember. Realy the biggest improvement that SLI does from want I've seen in reviews is help with minum frame rates (well it helps with max but no enough IMHO to justifiy the xtra cost).

toe49

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2006
i strongly agree with prozac, for now a single-card solution would be better. if i were u tho, i would get a qual sli mobo and stick with a single 7900gtx, so whens its time u can upgrade to 2 or 4

NumenorLord

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I've read that SLI helps a lot with resolution, so it's more helpful for things like widescreen monitors. I mean, it helps for AA and stuff too, but not to the extent of churning out resolutions. Best bang for you buck is a single 7900 GT.

RichPLS

Champion
if i were u tho, i would get a qual sli mobo and stick with a single 7900gtx, so whens its time u can upgrade to 2 or 4

This is your first post? :roll: What is a qual sli mobo? Quad (if that is what you mean) SLI is done by using a standard SLI mobo and two dual GPU cards, and is a total waste, imo and a failure, for I see no future or reason for s/w designers to program for it...
Actually, products of the similar and like the PhysX processor dedicated hardware accelerator acceleration chips, I see more potential in this arena of advancement (with the vicious technology cycle of today), than quad GPU's for gaming.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
which choice is better, plz tell me ASAP since people are saying that quad SLI is a waste of money and no games support SLI and BLA BLA BLA, and so i'm in a confusion wasteland.

Dual 7900 GTs would cost me $100 less whereas quad 7600 GTs would boost my performance a lot.

Do games have to support sli for complete use of the GPUs?

answer me and tell me ur choice, thanx a lot.

Why stop at quad? Can't you wire a few SLI mobos together and make your own OctaSLI? Maybe go with bargain basement GFAs to make the whole thing practical?

the_guru

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
if i were u tho, i would get a qual sli mobo and stick with a single 7900gtx, so whens its time u can upgrade to 2 or 4

This is your first post? :roll: What is a qual sli mobo? Quad (if that is what you mean) SLI is done by using a standard SLI mobo and two dual GPU cards, and is a total waste, imo and a failure, for I see no future or reason for s/w designers to program for it...
Actually, products of the similar and like the PhysX processor dedicated hardware accelerator acceleration chips, I see more potential in this arena of advancement (with the vicious technology cycle of today), than quad GPU's for gaming.

Gigabyte has a motherboard that can run 4 graphic cards in quad SLI.

Datman

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2004
http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/10/04/one_gigabyte_motherboard/

Gigabyte's GA-8N SLI Quad Royal and four graphics cards.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
I know it can improve a lot, but in most of cases it doesn't double performance, and therefore isn't worth the money.

That's the thing about the expensive end of almost any product line - the performance vs. cost curve is non-linear. The makers will cite R&D costs, etc., and I'll show you the window sticker on their BMW.