OLD PUTER FILE TO NEW PUTER

dereckbc

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
OK, got my new PC up and running, ready to get stuff off my old PUTER and put on new PUTER. I know how to get all the files like docs, spreadsheets etc, but how do I get my website favorites, email address book off of old to new?

Lan

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2004
A couple questions before I can give an answer. What program do you use to check your e-mail? And second, what web browser do you use that your favorites are stored in?

Lan

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2004
Okay, the default location for your Favorites/Bookmarks is "C:/ Documents and Settings/(username)/Favorites/" This is where all of your favorites are kept for I.E.

As for outlook, it uses a .pst file to keep all of your e-mail and contacts in. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on the following path, I'm at work on a 2k machine so I'm doing this from memory. The path should be "C:/Documents and Settings/(username)/Local Settings/Applications/Microsoft/Outlook/outlook.pst". There might be a few other files there but outlook.pst is the main one that you need.

Oh yeah, and the "Local Settings" folder is hidden by default as well. Make sure you turn on hidden files and folders in Tools -> Folder Options.

When restoring these, just over write your old Favorites folder with the new one and your set. With Outlook though you need to let it generate its own outlook.pst file before you restore your old one. Hope this helps.

EDIT: I had to use a foward slash (/) instead of a backslash in my paths so that the board wouldn't get rid of the slashes.

dereckbc

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Lan, I am going on memory, been a long time since I have done this, but isn't the .pst file the inbox? Is the contact info in there?

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
From Outlook HELP:
Export a set of contacts:

Create a new folder for the contacts you want to export.
On the File menu, point to New, and then click Folder.
Type a name for the folder.
In the Folder contains list, click Appointment Items.
In the Select where to place the folder list, click Calendar, and then click OK.

On the Outlook Bar, click Contacts, or click another private or public contacts folder that you want to copy information from.
To copy the contacts, press and hold down CTRL and drag the contacts you want from the Contacts folder you just clicked to the new contacts folder you just created.
On the File menu, click Import and Export to export the new contacts folder.

Click Export to a file, and then click Next.
In the list, click the file type you want to export to and then click Next.
Follow the instructions in the Import and Export Wizard.

As for IE: There is also an Import/Export item under File.

Lan

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2004
The PST file includes it all, unless you specifically setup a .pab file to store your address book. I can't go into more detail as something has come up here at work.

nobly is right though, it is possible to export your contacs in outlook. I don't do it often so I forgot. :oops: