trying to figure out a backup plan

annilation

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
i have a 2 250gb western digiatal ide hard drives. Im starting to run out of room for storage. I was looking at buy 4 maxtor 250gb sata II drives cause my file server has a asus a8n deluxe sli board in it. I was going to put them in raid 0 through the onboard controller. After thinking about it a little more i realize i need a backup plan for all this data. I was debating buy 2 more 250gb ide drives (plus the 2 i have) and putting them in a old computer with linux in a software raid 5 array and using something like backup exec 10d from symantec. Or would it be a better move to buy 250gb sata drives instead? Bestbuy has a sale going on and that what i was looking at for hard drives. Thank in advance for any input

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
I don't think it makes much difference - just get a backup! :)

Seriously - today's SATA drives (WD Raptor excepted) are almost the same speed as IDE drives. And even if SATA is faster, you're creating a backup solution, right? So speed is much less important than reliability. Since the reliability of either is the same, get the cheaper one.

Mike.

TRENDING THREADS