Sign in with
Your question

Laptop keeps disconnecting from Network

Last response: in Components
March 29, 2006 4:47:32 PM

I just bought a Laptop yesterday, and am having a few network issues.

The laptop says this

Integrated 802.11b/g WLAN connects you to a network or the Internet through a wide range of access points

Acer SignalUp™ technology ensures stronger and more stable connections to WLANs

I have a Linksys 802.11b Router. I have another desktop computer that has a PCI 802.11b/g card, that seems to connect just fine with no disconnects from the same distance.

Any ideas?

Thanks, James
March 29, 2006 5:08:44 PM

Change channels on the router, and before you tell me that the desktop works fine, it doesn't necessarily mean that there isn't another router around somewhere that is causing interference.

In my office building, and also at my house, there are about a half dozen or more wireless networks, and not a single one of them has changed the default channel, which is usually channel 6. In fact, some of the networks are wide open, and some of the people haven't even changed their router password.... Yeah, I checked and some of them I could get into without a problem...not that I would do anything to them, but, ahem.
March 29, 2006 5:11:55 PM

Could be cordless phones interferring, wireless "going to sleep", or the router is having a tough time(conflicts) handing out the addys, especially iff a neighbor has one. I'd go into the router, change channels and assign IP's to all your wireless cards. Check to see if your wireless card is allowing Windows to shut it off to save power. Any 2.4 GHz device (phones) and such can/will screw with wireless networks. Why I went to 5.8 GHz.
Related resources
March 29, 2006 6:13:00 PM

Quote:
Could be cordless phones interferring, wireless "going to sleep", or the router is having a tough time(conflicts) handing out the addys, especially iff a neighbor has one. I'd go into the router, change channels and assign IP's to all your wireless cards. Check to see if your wireless card is allowing Windows to shut it off to save power. Any 2.4 GHz device (phones) and such can/will screw with wireless networks. Why I went to 5.8 GHz.

I am on channel 6, I can try changing that. I live in a neighborhood, where everyone has 1 acre lots, so the houses aren't that close to each other.

I always have IP's assigned to all computers, I NEVER use DHCP. Now how do you check the power part again? I don't remember.
March 29, 2006 7:37:40 PM

It's in properties for the nic. Right click on the nic in device manager and look at the power properties.
March 29, 2006 8:07:05 PM

Quote:
It's in properties for the nic. Right click on the nic in device manager and look at the power properties.

I looked at that already, everything for Power Save type stuff is disabled already.

I'm thinking about upgrading my router to a 802.11g and see if that helps. I have had my 802.11b for about 4 or 5 years now, so maybe it's time :D 
March 29, 2006 9:43:12 PM

Sorry for the lack of reply, I was out. I have seen routers just go bad after a few years, could be the case. At any rate, G is much faster, make sure your nics are g too althought most G routers will do B.
Last router i had with your type of problem, assigning the addy fixed it. Now, if your modem is also a router, it will cause the same problems.
March 30, 2006 1:42:58 AM

Quote:
Sorry for the lack of reply, I was out. I have seen routers just go bad after a few years, could be the case. At any rate, G is much faster, make sure your nics are g too althought most G routers will do B.
Last router i had with your type of problem, assigning the addy fixed it. Now, if your modem is also a router, it will cause the same problems.

I went ahead and bought a G Router today. Everything is setup already, and yes both the Laptop and other computer with a USB Adapter are both G's. Both of them so far are working fine.

I will know better tomorrow, we will move the laptop around the house and see if all is well.
March 30, 2006 2:05:51 AM

Great! :) 
March 30, 2006 2:26:11 PM

I started having issues again, after looking at the laptop more, I'm not sure if fully supports WEP.

I changed this to WAP Personal/TKIP on both the router and laptop and I can connect again so far.

What is the difference between

WPA Personal
WPA Enterprise
WPA2 Personal
WPA2 Enterprise
RADIUS
WEP

and then

TKIP
AES
March 30, 2006 2:45:56 PM

Good grief, that'd take some time. I useWPA- PSK(shared key you provide) on mine, I find it easier and it's pretty safe. Mines a D-Link, everythings odd-ball.
Try disabling all security in the router, see what happens. Make sure you're not sharing anything before you do. Are you sure your modem isn't a router too? This will produce similar problems. DSL? Cable? What are you using?
March 30, 2006 2:51:34 PM

Quote:
Good grief, that'd take some time. I useWPA- PSK(shared key you provide) on mine, I find it easier and it's pretty safe. Mines a D-Link, everythings odd-ball.
Try disabling all security in the router, see what happens. Make sure you're not sharing anything before you do. Are you sure your modem isn't a router too? This will produce similar problems. DSL? Cable? What are you using?

I have a separate Cable Modem, and use a Linksys WRT54G Router.

Like I mentioned, I am currently using WAP Personal / TKIP and using a WPA Shared Key, that you have to enter to connect to the router from Wireless.

I was just wondering the difference on all of those, and if my choice is a very secure one?

Currently this setup seems to be working well. The router is in my home office in the basement. My wife has been using her laptop upstairs for about an hour now with no drops.
March 30, 2006 3:01:28 PM

"I was just wondering the difference on all of those, and if my choice is a very secure one? "
How long is your key? Numbers and letters mixed usually makes it harder to crack. Doesn't your manual tell you the difference? I think its different encryptions, strengths, maybe even for different OS's, etc. I'm time limited today or I'd Google. No one has cracked mine yet, but I change the key at times.
March 30, 2006 3:08:40 PM

Quote:
"I was just wondering the difference on all of those, and if my choice is a very secure one? "
How long is your key? Numbers and letters mixed usually makes it harder to crack. Doesn't your manual tell you the difference? I think its different encryptions, strengths, maybe even for different OS's, etc. I'm time limited today or I'd Google. No one has cracked mine yet, but I change the key at times.

Mine is about 10 characters long, including a few capitals and a number. I'll try and hunt down the manual. I didn't see one come with the Router, but there is a CD with it, so I'll see if there is an online one.

Thanks.
May 27, 2006 6:16:59 AM

JFLONGO, MY THOUGHTS YOU ARE NOT THE ISSUE, IT IS THE LINKSYS PRODUCTS. EVERY THING YOU MENTION I HAVE ATTEMPTED, I GET DROPS FREQUENTLY. I CALLED LINKSYS TECH, THE TECH WALK ME THRU AND RECONFIGURED,CHANGED CHANNELS, ISP,REMOVE UNSECURE WIRELESS USERS,REPLACED ROUTERS, ADAPTERS (B AN G) YOU NAME IT.. I HAVE USED A USB AND A NOTE BOOK ADAPTER. I ONCE THOUGHT LINKSYS WAS A GREAT PRODUCT. WHEN I GET AN OPPORTUNITY, I AM GOING TO HARD WIRE, RATHER THAN WIRELESS. IF THIS DOES NOT RESOLVE THE ISSUE, THEN THE ROUND FILE/TRASH CAN IS THE NEXT SOLUTION. IF YOU RESOLVE YOUR DROP ISSUE, PLEASE GIVE ME A CLUE. I HAVE BEEN BATTLING THE DROP ISSUE ABOUT A YEAR OR MORE. :roll:
June 26, 2006 10:49:32 PM

caps are off thanks for your feed back. The adapter issue has been resolved. no more disconnects same laptop
June 27, 2006 1:04:48 PM

Well, what fixed it?!
June 28, 2006 2:31:30 AM

Quote:
I started having issues again, after looking at the laptop more, I'm not sure if fully supports WEP.

I changed this to WAP Personal/TKIP on both the router and laptop and I can connect again so far.

What is the difference between

WPA Personal
WPA Enterprise
WPA2 Personal
WPA2 Enterprise
RADIUS
WEP

and then

TKIP
AES

This will give you a lot of detailed info on the differences in those types of security: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_security. I'll give you a short version, and anyone feel free to correct me if anything I say is blatently wrong (doing my best here). :)  I'm not sure that there is any huge significant difference between WPA Enterprise and Personal. WPA vs. WPA2 if I remember right is simply an upgrade in standards. There were things supported in WPA that weren't standard, or didn't meet complete standards. Anyway WPA2 officialized those, it's not a HUGE thing, however if you can use WPA2 over WPA. TKIP and AES are essentially different algorithms for encrypting the wireless packets. AES I believe has been approved by the US government for use with material market "SECRET". You should have the option to use both, which is better than only one. RADIUS is basically a client->server authentication, in basica sense it is a "wireless domain". Clients have to authenticate with a RADIUS server before they can connect to and use the access point. Finally WEP... don't use it... please. THG has an article or two on an FBI team that cracked a 128bit WEP key in 3 minutes. 128bit is supposed to be strong, basically WEP stands for Wired Equivalency Privacy. It was the standard for a short time untill some tools such as packet sniffers became available. The type of encryption it uses is very weak against certain types of attacks such as that used by the FBI team.

You should always try to use at least some form of encryption, this will stop the wardrivers and the neighbors kid from accessing your network and internet connectio whenever they want to. WEP wont stop a serious hacker, and if you're worried about that use WPA, it's not worth the time it would take for them to hack it. However as I think was previously mentioned a dictionary attack can be used against any connection, so use something that is abnormal and not in the dictionary. Such as Y3@$0n vs. yeason. Not only is my nick not in the dictionary but the symbols will make an attack take much much longer.

P.S. Avoid WRT54G revision 5 routers, they're crap. If you buy one in a store the R.5 serial numbers start with CDFB, get anything that is CDF0-CDF9. CDFA is revision 4, these are ok but not as good as previous models imo.
April 10, 2009 6:36:12 PM

its said:
caps are off thanks for your feed back. The adapter issue has been resolved. no more disconnects same laptop

What do you mean by "caps are off" how do you do it. I have had this problem for such a long time(internet disconnects). let me try to do what you did with these caps and see if it will fix it.. Thank you in advance ;D
January 17, 2010 9:06:13 AM

Hi all, I pretty much have the same proiblem, but the difference is it's not JUST with wireless, it's even when I plug it in directly to the router and or the cable modem.
I am beginning to belive it has something to do with a hardware problem on my end...I have a US laptop but I was in England for a few mths so I replaced the power plug/adapter with a UK one, and then moved back to the Caribbean (which uses US sockets) and I had a faulty converter that did something bad to the laptop...
Now my number keys don't work and my internet NEVER stays solid. I've run diagnostics on the connection, on the card, tried upgrading the driver (no newer versions were found online) and it STILL disconects every few mins and reconnects automatically. I've had 2 other laptops connect to my network at home and their connection stays solid. I know I need to chuck my laptopand get a new one but I need to wait a few mths before I can afford it. You guys offered a lot of solutions to the previous posts, please give me some direction as to what to do :(  :(  :( 
August 24, 2011 4:47:32 PM

I don't know if you are having exactly the same problem I had, but my nephew helped me resolve the problem. I have an Acer Aspire laptop that was losing the wireless network connection just about every other day and I had to lose everything I was working on and restart to get back on to the internet. There is an orange light that blinks a lot on my laptop above the Function keys 10 and 11 and I found out this is the WLAN enable/disable key. It looks just like a light, but if you lose connection, you will see the light is off. Simply put your finger on it until it comes back on. When it becomes a solid light again, you are connected to the internet again. Now that I know it's there, I notice the blinking happens when I go onto the internet and I am more aware that maybe my fingers were moving over that light and shutting off my wireless connection. Hope this will help someone else with the same problem before they invest money in another router like we did.
!