eVGA takes ownership: "PROBLEM WITH 7900 is BIOS"

Lan

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2004
Interesting read. I see that it has to do with the 7900GTX, but does anyone know if this affects the 7900GT CO Superclocked at all?

vois2

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
Actually, despite the moderator's comment, it has more to do with the 7900 GT .

That is, we are seeing many less people having problems with the GTX as compared to the regular 7900 GT. In the Dell Forums, there is just one poster after another, who bought the eVGA 7900 GT and could get no where on installation.

Oddly, in those same forums, are several people who ordered the GTX 512 from eVGA and *did* successfully install it.

So, regarding your 7900 GT CO ... well, you'll get to find out tomorrow I guess.

Lan

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2004
Yep. Tonight though. The package is already at home. Here's hoping. :?

EDIT: Now that I think about it though, those are on Dells. I don't recall a huge influx of issues with 7900 GT's here (though I could be wrong, and just blind). Damn, this puts a damper on my day. I was all excited too. :(

kerriritter

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
yes i have been following this quite closely. my evga 7900 GTX Superclock arrived yesterday after a mishap, and i have been testing it extensively. my first card was awol at UPS. this card is now from the second batch. i have a dell by the way, precision, not dimension line where the problems are.

it runs beautifully ~so far~ not a hiccup anywhere. however, this card will NOT clock 1 mhz above the factory overclock of 690/1760 - not one period no matter what utility i use. it fails the testing at any other speed. the bios is 5.71.22.12.02, drivers are 84.21.

i have the 7900 GT OC on order in the step up program for my backup system. i'm so far down that list though i'm sure the bios/driver issues will be resolved.

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
Just raise TRP and TRAS (maybe CL aswell) of the Video RAM. You can do this via the video card BIOS (flashing it, or a softmod after boot), or via '3rd party' software.

This is more common in video cards than people think.... just have a look at the Battlefield 2 forums... I feel sorry for the people who don't know how to fix it.

This assumes the cards are 'partially stable', you can tell when a RMA is required usually.