Nasty little bug with dates...

September 6, 2004 12:02:14 PM

I have discovered a nasty little bug with formatted
dates. This seems to appear with Acccess and Excel, and
may well appear elsewhere.

I am using XP and Office 2000. I open a new worksheet and
define the format of a column as Short Date (ie,
dd/mm/yyyy). After that, whenever I enter a date and tab
to the next cell, the day and month are swapped around.
So, if I enter 01/02/2004 this becomes 02/01/2004.

Interestingly, the same thing happens when I create a form
in Access and set up a single unbound text box and then
make the format 'dd/mm/yyyy'. Once again, when I enter a
date and tab out of the box, the day and month become
reversed immediately.

Anyone out there know if there is a fix?

Cheers,

Herbie

More about : nasty bug dates

Anonymous
September 6, 2004 1:17:10 PM

Herbie wrote:
> I have discovered a nasty little bug with formatted
> dates. This seems to appear with Acccess and Excel, and
> may well appear elsewhere.
>
> I am using XP and Office 2000. I open a new worksheet and
> define the format of a column as Short Date (ie,
> dd/mm/yyyy). After that, whenever I enter a date and tab
> to the next cell, the day and month are swapped around.
> So, if I enter 01/02/2004 this becomes 02/01/2004.
>
> Interestingly, the same thing happens when I create a form
> in Access and set up a single unbound text box and then
> make the format 'dd/mm/yyyy'. Once again, when I enter a
> date and tab out of the box, the day and month become
> reversed immediately.
>
> Anyone out there know if there is a fix?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Herbie

Do you have the operating system set to use the same date format
as the applications? Control Panel > Regional and Language Options >
Regional Options > Customize > Date... If not, you're likely to get
the exact results you're seeing.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever
count on having both at once. - RAH
!