Machine_check_Exception

Oberon

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
I have been getting this BSOD when idle for the past few weeks. I have replaced the mem and run memtest86 overnight with no errors. I ran the Maxtor check disk util and no errors. Need some suggestions on other things to check. I haven't gotten any mini dumps from it either. The full error is:

Machine_check_Exception stop: 0x0000009c (0x00000004, 0x80545FF0, 0xb2000000, 0x00070F0F)

Also removed the page file and rebooted to wipe it out and reloaded it. I have read about not updating the Raid/SATA driver before loading the nVidia SW IDE driver causing this problem and will check it when I get home. I also checked my memory specs to make sure the voltage is correct and that the timmings are ok. I will also try and check the pwoer supply with another one and make sure it is not dropping the voltage. I am going to replace my cables to make sure that is not the problem.

All help is much needed.

Oberon

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
Google it or send to MS. Windows is chocked full-O-errors.

Thanks I did and they and google say it is a hardware problem. So I am left to determine which piece of hardware. Also I have read about it being a conflict with the nForce SW IDE driver and windows.

KWH

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2005
You may start by removing one card at a time, rebooting and see if it returns. Also remove RAM, switch banks and/or put in another stick. Could be as simple as software conflicts. May want to try removing all drivers and cards, reinstall one at a time with latest drivers. Maybe swap slots too. These types of errors are a headache.

Oberon

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
I am finding out how much of a headache. ALso what should my normal idle temp be for an AMD64 3200+/754 socket. I noticed mine is around 45c. This looks a little warm to me.

OOOOOPS forgot mine is the 89watt 754 model and tends to be warmer then the 939 model.

Oberon

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
Thanks. Everything was great from Thursday to Sat when I removed the IDE SW nForce driver. No more BSOD's. Then I must have hit something a wire I think. I had the side panel off of the system making sure there was no heat buildup. Then it was like the power went off and back on. Then ntldr missing or corrupt. Lost c drive. No problem restored from a ghost image. Then lost my e drive with 200 gb of data. Still tring to restore that. So was a long weekend. Windows could see the e drive but if you clicked on it it said drive not accessable. Guess it lost the mbr or part table.

lemosley01

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
First post!

Anyway, I work in a support position and a few weeks ago I had a customer getting the same STOP code. They had Dell replace the motherboard twice - the second time eliminated the problem.

Either motherboard or CPU would be my best guess. Since you started having drive problems, my money is on the motherboard.

Oberon

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
Thanks for the response. I found out that the nForce IDE SW drivers are known to conflict with the windows drivers. Since I removed them and am using the windows IDE drivers no more problems. When they get an update to these drivers I will test them then.