Sign in with
Your question

CrossFire or SLI?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 29, 2006 5:47:18 PM

I'm putting together my hardware for a new gaming rid and I can't decide if I want to go the SLI route or the CrossFire route. At first I thought SLI and posted some information as to the video cards I was looking at (2x7900gs 256MB) and then I got several replies telling me I should instead go the CrossFire route (1800XT). After looking into it, it looked more expensive (having to first FIND and buy a 1800xt 512 Cross Fire card) along w/the 1800XT (256mb) card.

What are your thoughts? What make more sense, what is better/faster for the money? I've read a few posts about how awful the CrossFire was w/their older cards and the nasty cable that you had to use. Is that still an issue w/the 1800XT's?

I could really use some good advice before I try pricing everything out =)

Thanks!

More about : crossfire sli

March 29, 2006 6:04:26 PM

Personally, I would not CF or SLI mode a card, since the money is much better spent in the first place getting a fast single card solution, and in a couple of years, replace it, and sell old one to recoup some cash.
It keeps PC power consumption down, and saves cash now while giving excellent performance with the most simplistic solution, since dual cards add complexity, and it does give you an option tho, and sometimes you may find one on eBay or being sold by a friend you could snag for cheap, otherwise, be happy with a fast gaming card that will play every game out today at high res.
March 29, 2006 6:18:52 PM

OK, that sounds good. Now my next question would be Nvidia and/or Ati? and would I still want to get the latest motherboard that supports Crossfire and/or SLI even though I would use it for a single card solution?

Thanks!
Related resources
March 29, 2006 6:27:07 PM

Since you have the cash for dual graphics to spend, I would get the A8R32-MVP for $180 and the X1900XT for around $430.
The motherboard is the AMD's 939 best overclocking board, and all the X1900XT's will overclock to 690MHzcore/1600MHz memory which is faster than the XTX and you will have the highest visual quality and fastest single card gaminig solution current.
March 29, 2006 6:42:45 PM

The launch of the new CrossFire Express 3200 will allow ATI to enable the use of any two identical graphics cards in the CrossFire mode for their entire product range. This way you don’t need to purchase CrossFire Edition mainboards for certain specific configurations. However, this approach will automatically eliminate the highest speed SuperAA support, which is very important for high-end solutions.
March 29, 2006 6:47:22 PM

Quote:
The launch of the new CrossFire Express 3200 will allow ATI to enable the use of any two identical graphics cards in the CrossFire mode for their entire product range. This way you don’t need to purchase CrossFire Edition mainboards for certain specific configurations. However, this approach will automatically eliminate the highest speed SuperAA support, which is very important for high-end solutions.

OK, I'm confused again. The latest motherboard from ASUS (A8R32-MVP) does have the Xpress 3200. So does that mean I can buy 2 identical cards now? =)
March 29, 2006 6:53:23 PM

Apparently, I just read that from the article.
I have the A8R-MVP, and plan on getting the 32 soon.
March 29, 2006 7:03:13 PM

Quote:
However, this approach will automatically eliminate the highest speed SuperAA support, which is very important for high-end solutions.

What the heck is SuperAA support? Super Anti-aliasing?
March 29, 2006 7:03:45 PM

Yes, that will work great, excellent price too.
!