Home made Heat solution????

awallach

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
All this talk about heat :( ... from reading the Video card forums and the gamers forums complaining about heat, has made me concerned about adding my newly acquired ATI X800XT PE without doing something about cooling.

I'm thinking about using some scrap heap PC's that I never got around to throwing away, by taking one of the Power Supplies and putting it in a plastic housing so I can use the 12volts to drive two 120mm fans that I will add to the case of my PC by removing the side panels and cutting a hole.
I figure, 1 fan exhausting air and the other blowing air should get the PC ventilated. All this for the inexpensive price of 2 fans and no additonal drain on my PC's power supply.
Whadda think? Should I do it?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sony Vaio PCV RZ46G (Mobo OEM Asus P4SD-VX) 3.2ghz 1G Mem 400GB HDD - PIONEER DVR-106D; NEC ND-3520A - ATI Radeon 9600XT w/256MB Driver 8.221.0.0, XP Media Center Edition 2005 SP2 Creative Audigy

7H4_D00D3

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
well. I told this in another thread (dun remember which one) but I'll tellya what did the father of a friend do, he cut a hole in the sidepanel of his case and attached a 30cm 110V fan...his AXP never got past 40ºC under full load

awallach

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
In buying the parts, I found fans than run on AC. So instead of playing around with an old power supply, I'll just plug them in to a dimmer switch and have I'll have two 92mm fans moving cfm105. One will be set up to exhaust the other to blow in. I bought a washable filter for the inbound fan..... I bought rubber gaskets, filters and cages. Total with shipping a little over $40.
I hope it works....