Microsoft Says U.S. Science Education Needs $5 Billion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DroKing

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
PhD degrees are overpriced in US. I dropped out of college myself because it was costing 4 grand a quarter uhh to expensive for me. Ill stick with working.

sixdegree

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
Or the government can cut back a tiny fraction of their military spending and allocate it to science and education instead of selling working visas and green cards. That's kinda solves education funding as well as unemployment problems.

Perhaps if MS weren't moving all of their money into offshore banks to avoid paying the taxes the Govt would be able to invest more into the education system ! Seeing that according to This ARTICLE MS avoided more in taxes than they say is needed !!

The report stated that Microsoft used transactions with subsidiaries in Puerto Rico, Ireland, Singapore and Bermuda to save at least $6.5 billion in taxes.

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Okay, i'm almost done with my college degree. I see students everyday in the train. Let me tell you, their not interested in math or science or technology. Their more into the entertainment business. They lack honor and discipline with a very short attention span and high temper.

fuxxnuts

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
[citation][nom]kcorp2003[/nom]Okay, i'm almost done with my college degree. I see students everyday in the train. Let me tell you, their not interested in math or science or technology. Their more into the entertainment business. They lack honor and discipline with a very short attention span and high temper.[/citation]

Guess they aren't interested in English grammar, either.

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
[citation][nom]DroKing[/nom]PhD degrees are overpriced in US. I dropped out of college myself because it was costing 4 grand a quarter uhh to expensive for me. Ill stick with working.[/citation]
50 grand to double your pay and have that 50k paid off within a few years? Seems worth it to me.

I am surprised that they say there is a shortage in the tech industry given all of the layoffs that have been happening.

PS: Bill Gates has 61 billion... just sayin
And yes I know that Bill Gates is already awesome given how much he donates. Best rich person alive.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Meanwhile, our country continues to churn out armies of lawyers after lawyers. And let's not forget about those who dropped out the race of success.

As in, they dropped out of high school or didn't mind straight Ds. Then turned around and applied for welfare.

And my parents told me that participating in science or engineering projects is useless compared to studying Calculus/Physics, scoring a 37 on the ACT (totally not a joke), and burning the midnight oil 365 days a year.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]therabiddeer[/nom]50 grand to double your pay and have that 50k paid off within a few years? Seems worth it to me.I am surprised that they say there is a shortage in the tech industry given all of the layoffs that have been happening.PS: Bill Gates has 61 billion... just sayinAnd yes I know that Bill Gates is already awesome given how much he donates. Best rich person alive.[/citation]

If Mr. Gates really was giving up oh so many of his Billions how come he still has them all ?
Or is he just funneling them into his non-profit 'charity' to shelter them from taxation ?

G

They've been claiming a shortage since at least 1996 when the lobbying for more H1B visas began.
It did accomplish much of what they were after, pay rates fell rapidly once people were trained and went back home to set up outsourced shops.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]If Mr. Gates really was giving up oh so many of his Billions how come he still has them all ?Or is he just funneling them into his non-profit 'charity' to shelter them from taxation ?[/citation]
Two seconds on a google search will lead you to the Melinda and Bill Gates Foundation. This is from wikipedia:

The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (B&MGF or the Gates Foundation) is the largest transparently operated[4] private foundation in the world, founded by Bill and Melinda Gates. It is "driven by the interests and passions of the Gates family".[5] The primary aims of the foundation are, globally, to enhance healthcare and reduce extreme poverty, and in America, to expand educational opportunities and access to information technology. The foundation, based in Seattle, Washington, is controlled by its three trustees: Bill Gates, Melinda Gates and Warren Buffett. Other principal officers include Co-Chair William H. Gates, Sr. and Chief Executive Officer Jeff Raikes. It had an endowment of US$33.5 billion as of September 30, 2011.

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]If Mr. Gates really was giving up oh so many of his Billions how come he still has them all ?Or is he just funneling them into his non-profit 'charity' to shelter them from taxation ?[/citation]
Bill Gates has given away more than $30 billion and has plans to give away at least another $30 billion in his lifetime. Bill Gates does not avoid taxes either, he is not Microsoft.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011

I don't think he works at MS anymore.

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
[citation][nom]TheCapulet[/nom]You're assuming that getting funding is a walk in the park. For my given major and therefor required school, the government loans come no where close to paying for yearly tuition, let alone other expenses. And that's just 4 year uni. I can't imagine 6-8 years of that debt piling up. It'd be a crippling investment that would hinder progress afterwards in most cases, considering this job market and the huge moves required to find any actual jobs.[/citation]
You can get 61,000 over 4 years through just financial aid loans and the pell grant. This doesnt include private grants that you can apply for, private loans, or a number of other sources of funding. On top of this, you can work part time to help pay for college and do community college for the first 2 years. If your chosen field requires 8 years, your wages will increase proportionately for 98% of fields.

Unless you already had a ton of experience from before the college boom, I cant see you making close to what you could be making if you had gone to college.

bigdog44

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
The problem is Mr. Smith needs some of that money for his own math education... He quotes $500 million, but his two examples only add up to $425 million (20,000 x 10,000) + (15,000 x 15,000)...just saying.

BoredErica

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
[citation][nom]kcorp2003[/nom]this is the internet and this is a forum.[/citation]
Correct grammar would still be preferred. I'm not saying your grammar was horrible and retarded, but better grammar is always better.

Anyways, I have to be honest. I am a college student and my work ethic is bad. I need to shape up or ship out!

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
It's hard to argue with more science & engineering education, but I think MS' ideal goal is to get the job market flooded to such an extent that salaries will drop to that of factory workers.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]bit_user[/nom]It's hard to argue with more science & engineering education, but I think MS' ideal goal is to get the job market flooded to such an extent that salaries will drop to that of factory workers.[/citation]

Yea saturate a job that has a lack of them and will have a greater lack of them in the future.

I agree with Microsoft on this, the US is falling behind fast in the number of scientists and engineers we produce. Those the people that develop new ideas and technology.

timw03878

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
The biggest question is..

Why is the government involved in education?

How bout letting the market fulfill the demand they tout, rather than using stolen money via taxes to pay for something I won't benefit from?

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
[citation][nom]sixdegree[/nom]Or the government can cut back a tiny fraction of their military spending and allocate it to science and education instead of selling working visas and green cards. That's kinda solves education funding as well as unemployment problems.[/citation]
There is no government in the world that spends as much as we do on education. For the past century the American government have been pouring in billions into schools, yet for some reason we have been dropping behind slowly. It has more to do with social and cultural issues rather then financial.

madjimms

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
[citation][nom]timw03878[/nom]The biggest question is.. Why is the government involved in education?How bout letting the market fulfill the demand they tout, rather than using stolen money via taxes to pay for something I won't benefit from?[/citation]
You mean poor people being too poor to get an education? & rich kids squandering a REALLY fancy education by becoming a sports "star" or actor.... Yeah, FREE MARKER FOR THE LOSS!

What a complete dolt you are.

madjimms

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
[citation][nom]ikyung[/nom]There is no government in the world that spends as much as we do on education. For the past century the American government have been pouring in billions into schools, yet for some reason we have been dropping behind slowly. It has more to do with social and cultural issues rather then financial.[/citation]
Actually the RATIO of money spent on education isn't the best in the world... the gross amount? absolutely. But certainly not the highest percentage.

Status
Not open for further replies.