Where do you sell your custom-built computers?

comp456

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
I hope I have this question in the right forum, and if not, I apologize in advance. Also, I did a search in the forums and I didn't see a lot of answers to this question.

So, where do you all sell your custom-built computers? I've read many places how many people build and sell their computers for a profit. I'm just wondering how you all do that. Is it through ebay, word of mouth through friends, or your local classified section in your hometown newspaper?

I just tried selling a computer through ebay with not much luck. Also, I've tracked many auctions to see if people are making a profit and yet, I am just not seeing much profit through it. I've priced the computers out through places like newegg, and people end up selling their PCs for less than you might need to pay for it through online internet stores?

How are they doing this? Do most of you all simply sell through word of mouth? Is ebay just not the way to go for this type of thing?

For example:

I just tried selling a computer on ebay that cost me $700 to build and I was lucky to get a bid of $300 for it. 8O Now granted, I know other elements came come into play as to why it might be that low like feedback response, your description of the item, ect. - but it seems to me that people just don't want to pay enough on ebay for anyone to make a profit with custom built computers. Am I wrong?

ShadowdogKGB

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
Good question. As you've seen, Ebay is just full of BS. It's a given fact that you're not going to reap any rewards there as the market is just too saturated. Another thing that I've noticed is that people bid like crazy on the Emachines, Sony Vaio, Dell, HP etc. What a joke. There truly are some dumb people out there.

Anyways, the avenue to take is in fixing other people's stuff and removing other peoples Adware, spyware etc. There's some meat there. All you need is a mom with kids. There kids screw it up. Mommy pays to have it fixed. She makes a bee line for CompUSA and pays them 100 bucks to re-install Windows? Or she runs down to Wal-Mart and blows 50 bucks on Norton?

I don't think so. No, she gives you 50 bucks to fix it. Bingo. Then you lead her to some upgrades. And so on...

Bah on building boxes.

Fungalberry

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
I hope I have this question in the right forum, and if not, I apologize in advance. Also, I did a search in the forums and I didn't see a lot of answers to this question.

So, where do you all sell your custom-built computers? I've read many places how many people build and sell their computers for a profit. I'm just wondering how you all do that. Is it through ebay, word of mouth through friends, or your local classified section in your hometown newspaper?

I just tried selling a computer through ebay with not much luck. Also, I've tracked many auctions to see if people are making a profit and yet, I am just not seeing much profit through it. I've priced the computers out through places like newegg, and people end up selling their PCs for less than you might need to pay for it through online internet stores?

How are they doing this? Do most of you all simply sell through word of mouth? Is ebay just not the way to go for this type of thing?

For example:

I just tried selling a computer on ebay that cost me $700 to build and I was lucky to get a bid of $300 for it. 8O Now granted, I know other elements came come into play as to why it might be that low like feedback response, your description of the item, ect. - but it seems to me that people just don't want to pay enough on ebay for anyone to make a profit with custom built computers. Am I wrong?

You could make your own website to sell the computers there. Or maybe you could tell people that you're taking orders for customizable PCs, and give comparison prices of Dell or other big companies for the same components. I think a good place to start would be in your own town. Make prices (semi-) cheap and draw a couple people in through classifieds or ads or something like that. Word of mouth should help the process along.

Looking my response over again, I realized that it probably wasn't much help. Oh well. Just try to sell the computers locally for prices that beat Dell's. Maybe it will work, maybe not.

cz-75

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
First Windows-based PC I ever bought was by a homebuilder in the local paper. I got tired of paying $3000 for a Mac and holding onto it for 5-6 years because I paid $3000 and wanted a cheap Windows OS compatible machine instead.

I suggest you try advertising with flyers, then move up to the free local trader papers that you find in grocery and C-stores around the entrance/exits.

madpiano2

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I was wondering the same thing. I had a look on ebay, but most shops there offer warranty. Thats probably why they get more money.Even though all the parts have warranty, I am not sure how to offer a buyer any warranty, if he sits at the other end of the country. Can hardly ask old granny sheila to take the HD out and send it to me....thats when I gave up on the idea.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
I think one of the problems selling a new build on ebay is that most people will think it's "used" regardless of how you advertise. That likely think at the least you used it for a month or 2. Keep in mind perception is reality, especially buying something on the web from someone you don'y know. I agree with everone else, sell locally. I don't think there is anyway to overcome the support prooblem is the buyer is local.

Xanthropos

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2005
I was wondering this myself also - I've just upgraded and i have a spare, functional, Gigabyte mobo, amd64 3000+, and radeon 9800 pro.

I was thinking about building it into a full PC and selling it, but I also have found the problem with actually making a profit on ebay.

Should I sell the components on ebay, either seperately or all together, or just try local ( i live in the middle of some fields so could be tricky :p )

I'd like to at least get a bit back... it cost me £400 a year ago! :eek: