AM2 CPU Board???

EllisD420

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Pretty much, its an expansion card that goes into the 'Future Card' slot, or something to that name. If you go to asrock.com and click on products, at the bottom of the list there is already one to turn asrock s754 (or the old a64 socket if thats no the right one) into a S939. Its a great concept, especially for the 939Dual, AGP, PCI-e, S939 and AM2. Not sure if the performance will be the same as a mobo with an AM2 socket built in, but we will see when it is released.

7H4_D00D3

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
Interesting choice for everyone that has a "should wait for conroe or am2?"existencial crisis...

How good is that Uli chipset??? that'd be the main question
second: reviews said that is not a very good OC'er, but who knows, maybe they just got bad luck OR suck @ OCing...
third:poor voltage control (again, from the reviews)

"Computer will seldomly stop responding but will come out of it." -reviewer
damn! I wouldn't like playing an FPS and when the action is heavy the pc freezes for a sec, and then I'm dead

"Lower chipset heatsink blocks long PCI cards on 2 of the 3 pci slots.It also runs hot and where its loacted its surrounded by Sata and header cables"

Well.....bout the pci cards, rar them! and bout the chipset, there's always something you can do about it

EllisD420

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Yea, its definetly a good choice for ppl that want to wait, but dont. I have found that ULi chipset to be decent...i havent had any problems with it. For the OC'ing comment, i can say that its not the best overclocker...but you can get a moderate overclock running stable, the thing that will most likely hold you back is the poor voltage options. Lots of higher end DIMM's need 2.7+ volts and this board max's out at 2.7 on the HIGH setting in the bios, that could certainly cause problems. I can say that in my 6+ months of owning this board, i havent had it stop responding once, that reviewer probably missed something, bad drivers, etc. I only use 1 PCI card, my audigy 2 ZS and its in the bottom slot, its not that long and only poses a problem when i try to pull the bios battery without taking the card out...minimal problem to say the least.

illicitsc

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
ok i think this is a stupid idea,

"look at my mobo, no ram no cpu!!, instead i got htis clunk sitting on top of a add in card" - asrock owner

i'd laugh so hard if the card snapped during transport to a lanparty

EllisD420

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
If you look at the way that it is set up, its a card that plugs in like any other card, taking up wone of the card slots at the back of your case and fastened in that way. My x1900xt card weight like 10 friggin pounds so i doubt a cpu, HSF and a few sticks of ram would even come close to snapping it.

illicitsc

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
no way a x1900 weighs 10 pounds thats bull. a trombone or baritone is like 10 pounds. video cards are 1 pound at most. well i guess the addin card would support the weight but thats ugly and disrupts airflow in the case

TRENDING THREADS