Weird ocing results

illicitsc

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
when i have the 6600gt gpu at 580mhz it starts to artifact in oblivion at 83c, but when its at 555mhz theres no artifacting at 90c.
wat gives?

TheMaster

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004
wow... 90c?!!!!!!!!
i get worried when my card hits 70 cuz i forget to turn the fan on.

You've reached the limit on your overclock. Only so far you can push the card.

7H4_D00D3

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
I have a CRAZY theory:

As the chip gets hotter, it's resistivity increases, so, the flow of electrical current (intensity) at the same voltage would be lower, hence, bringing less electrons to the chip.

If the chip is working @ 580Mhz maybe it exceeds the tolerance given by the chip, so @ 555 the micro hasn't reached that wall, cuz it stills have room to increase speed and electrons get to the chip quickly enough to function normally, not in the 580 mhz case in wich they would arrive too late

Equations that support my theory:

1) Fr=Ir[1+kDt] (dun remember if it was + or - :p)
where:
fr= final resistivity
ir= initial resistivity
k= temp constant for the specific material
Dt= differential of temperature

2) R=V/I
where:
R= resistivity
V= voltage
I= intensity

3)I=q/t
where:
I= intensity
q= charge (an electron's charge is about 1.6x10e-19 coul)
t= time

Well, it doesn't seem so crazy at all!xD

crazywheels

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
pretty easy question to answer. you are hitting the physical limitations of the gpu. Maybe you should try a better way to cool the card that should help some.

illicitsc

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
so cleeve how are u sure that your x1800xl isnt being damaged since it's clocked so high?
also u say that when at high clock speeds there are others things other than heat, do u mean that the gpu isnt getting enough voltage? so even if i get a better hsf its pointless?

7H4_D00D3

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
yes, in fact, you can have a cpu cooled with liquid nitrogen, inside a chamber or liquid hidrogen inside of another chamber filled with liquid nitrogen and so on(just like akira), this would improve conductivity BY A LOT (or reduce resistivity....as you like it), but eventually you will get to some point where there's not 'nuff voltage or simpli, the frequenci would be so high that it wouldn't be stable.

This is the principle of superconductivity, an electric circuit is freezed to such low temps than resistivity goes near zero (altough NEVER EVER reaching 0ohm [resistivity] @ 0ºK[temp]), when this happens, the circuit no longer oposses to the flow of electrons (again, not totally).

Assuming that the circuit would tolerate an infinite frequency @ an infinite voltage and intensity, you will never get infinite frequency because you simply wont get infinite voltage, eventually a superconductor reaches its peak (@ about 12 nanokelvins or so) and starts "slowing down" teh flow of electrons

i have the EXACT same problem, my card reches the 100 degree c +
Put something with water on top and start making hot dogs!!!
that woud be a really nice mod...

7H4_D00D3

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
you could try to give it a little bit more of juice, but at the cost of making a bbq

If the juice made wonders = lack of voltage
if it doesnt works:
a) try to cool it a little bit
b) congrats! you've reached a wall

I'm having similar problems with an 9250, excep I dunno how hot it is, so I wont risk and wont give it a little bit o nothing, no voltage no air

I need to tell you that all my observations are theorical, in the practice, I hav never tested that, but with a little bit o knowledge a tad of deduction and a WHOLE BAG OF LUCK I'm right : p

Scientists never know stuff for sure, that's why they ask for big time funding, to burn stuff up, destroy stuff down and test stuff on all sides

TheMaster

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004
I'm not sure about nvidia, but on ATI cards you usaully have to do some soldering or pencil mod to get more juice into it. It's probably the same, just google "voltage mod".

Then set a kettle on top of it and watch it boil. Make sure to take plenty of pics and share.... :roll:

No, seriously.... Ever heard of aftermarket cooling?
if you're crazy like me, you might also want to look into water cooling.