Sign in with
Your question

Raid array is self destructing (repeatedly)

Last response: in Motherboards
March 29, 2006 11:53:46 PM

Thank you all for reading this ... I have a GA-K8NF-9 that had been working beautify for over a year.

Last weekend I upgraded the Bios because I was installing an Opteron 165 to replace my Athlon 64 3000+ and I wanted the system to recognize it properly.

Since I upgraded the system has been breaking up my Raid 1 (Mirrored) arrays. It takes the pair and comes up with 2 "pairs" each of which comes up as degraded because it only has one drive. Each time I have deleted the non boot array and then used that drive to rebuild the origonal array.

Each time the array has rebuilt itself succesfully and then after running stably for a few hours to 1.5 days it has broken up again, sometimes crashing the system.

This has now happened at least 6 times including twice today. How can I fix this?

I am using Bios version F11 and I have 4 Hitachi 250 GB SATA drives (currently only using 2 I have disconnected the data array to protect it until I can get this stable).

I also have a ATi x600 All-in-Wonder card and OCZ Memory 1024 MB

I have tried reinstalling windows (serveral times) and wiping and formatting the array that is still connected. I tried deleting and re-creating the array and clearing it. I have no idea what else to try.

I thank all of you in advance for any help you can offer, sorry this post got so long.
March 30, 2006 1:24:53 AM

use the latest nforce4 drivers from nvidia web site
a b V Motherboard
March 30, 2006 1:38:39 AM

perhaps a dud hard disc?
Related resources
March 30, 2006 1:46:34 AM

Quote:
perhaps a dud hard disc?

I rather think that nvidia did release a new RAID bios that need newer drivers. The newer RAID bios might have been put into new system BIOS.

It has been done on Asus board, so I guess that others got it too.
March 30, 2006 4:23:32 AM

I have the newest NVIDIA drivers but where do I get the new Raid Bios?
March 30, 2006 7:37:20 AM

Quote:
I have the newest NVIDIA drivers but where do I get the new Raid Bios?

usually updated when you update bios
March 30, 2006 1:04:28 PM

Does anyone know what Raid Bios came installed on the GA-K8NF-9 Rev 1.0?

I updated the Main bios and saw the difference there but the Raid Bios looks the same. I'm trying to figure out if that got updated and if it didn't weather I need to update it.
March 30, 2006 1:27:16 PM

Quote:
Does anyone know what Raid Bios came installed on the GA-K8NF-9 Rev 1.0?

I updated the Main bios and saw the difference there but the Raid Bios looks the same. I'm trying to figure out if that got updated and if it didn't weather I need to update it.

I think that there is the version number at at RAID setup screen, iirc
March 30, 2006 7:24:13 PM

I know my current version is 5.50 but I don't remember what the old one was. I was hoping someone could tell me since that was the origonal. Thanks for the pointer though.
!