A half-custom build

Chil

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
My brother wants a new computer for his birthday, but he only wants a budget one that will play games pretty much. He'll probably get another new one when he goes to college later. Since I have limited experience with building, and my parents don't want me to mess with building one myself, they want me to find a pre-built computer that fits a budget.

I checked a few online stores, and skipped Dell altogether. Most places like HP or Gateway look halfway decent pricewise, but they always want huge shipping charges and nothing in the budget comes with a graphics card.

Then I looked at NewEgg and found the ABS Awesome V2. It looks to have everything a budget builder needs. The only things to add are a graphics card and more memory, as we already have a keyboard, mouse, and monitor.

To complete the rig, I've looked to put in an X850XT and another 512 MB memory stick (because it starts with a single 512 stick from Kingston). The build looks complete, and all I need to do is stick in the separate parts and download video drivers! Perhaps the best part is that the whole thing comes out at $784.94 including shipping.

Of course, I want opinions on going this way. Does anyone think that the video card, which seems to take up two PCI Express slots, will not fit the micro-ATX mobo (seen here)? How do you think of the plan as a whole? Is there a chance the comp will come DOA?

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
My brother wants a new computer for his birthday, but he only wants a budget one that will play games pretty much. He'll probably get another new one when he goes to college later. Since I have limited experience with building, and my parents don't want me to mess with building one myself, they want me to find a pre-built computer that fits a budget.

I checked a few online stores, and skipped Dell altogether. Most places like HP or Gateway look halfway decent pricewise, but they always want huge shipping charges and nothing in the budget comes with a graphics card.

Then I looked at NewEgg and found the ABS Awesome V2. It looks to have everything a budget builder needs. The only things to add are a graphics card and more memory, as we already have a keyboard, mouse, and monitor.

To complete the rig, I've looked to put in an X850XT and another 512 MB memory stick (because it starts with a single 512 stick from Kingston). The build looks complete, and all I need to do is stick in the separate parts and download video drivers! Perhaps the best part is that the whole thing comes out at $784.84 including shipping.

Of course, I want opinions on going this way. Does anyone think that the video card, which seems to take up two PCI Express slots, will not fit the micro-ATX mobo (seen here)? How do you think of the plan as a whole? Is there a chance the comp will come DOA?

Just wondering why you skipped Dell altogether? I know Dell is all Intel-based, but they have some really good deals for the price. For example: Dell has an E510 with a Pentium D (Dual Core) 2.8GHz system for around $710.
2.8 Pentium D Processor
1GB of RAM
160 GB hard drive
16x DVD burner and 16x DVD-ROM
19" LCD monitor
Windows XP MCE
1 year warranty

Just add a video card and you are set. Shipping is free on the system. The system will come up to around 930, but use coupon code: 2NJQJFMP3?KGVW to get 30% off and bring it to $710. This offer ends tonight (Dell runs their deals Thursday-Wednesday) so it might be different in the morning, but the free 19" LCD is a very nice offer.

The video card you picked will take up the PCI-E slot and the PCI slot next to it only leaving you with one for your sound card and stuff.

There is always a chance (very small) that anything can come DOA.

Chil

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
Although that option seems to be very nice, you need to spend $1000 for the coupon code to work, bringing it down to a little over 700. Then you have to add in the video card, and that puts it in the high 800's.

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Although that option seems to be very nice, you need to spend $1000 for the coupon code to work, bringing it down to a little over 700. Then you have to add in the video card, and that puts it in the high 800's.

I know, but you are getting a monitor in the deal that sells on average in the $250 range on eBay if you dont want it. While it does cost a little more upfront, in the end its a better deal.

JohnTheWise

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
You get a crapload of rebates on dell because they use intel and intels are not
godd for gaming and he wants a gaming computer

linux_0

Splendid
Building it yourself wouldn't be hard -- you can do it!

That's a decent machine for the price but I have to say the PSU is probably garbage.

The pictured motherboard is an ASUS so that's fine :-D

linux_0

Splendid
Yeah the X850 might push the PSU too far, but I hope it will live for a little bit.

The X850 is a decent card @ a decent price but it does take up 2 slots, generates a lot of heat and sucks a lot of power.

The 7600GT performs about as well, produces less heat and consumes less power with only 12 pipelines and a 128bit memory bus.

On a mini-ATX board your slots are precious.

Good luck

Datman

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2004
That looks like a very good setup. :D
I read a good review of the ASUS A8N-VM CSM MB, it has good performance for a micro ATX board.
The X850XT card will fit in nicely.
The 300W PSU would be the only thing to worry about. :roll:
See how much it would cost for them to swap the PSU to about 450W for you.

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
You get a crapload of rebates on dell because they use intel and intels are not
godd for gaming and he wants a gaming computer

While the AMD processors hold the performance crown now I think it is a little harsh and not really accurate when you state that Intels are not “godd” for gaming. 8O

llama_man

Splendid
Jan 12, 2006
If you open the case to install extra memory and gfx card, won't that invalidate the warranty of your pre-built machine? If so, what's the point in paying for a warranty you're going to void before you've even turned the thing on?

Build the machine yourself (or get some friends to help you) - you can save some cash, or get a better machine for the same dough. Plus, you can put in EXACTLY what you want, and KNOW what is in the machine.

And to add to the general message coming from the other posts - make sure to buy a decent PSU!

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
I would say that is a nice build from newegg. I've seen worse.

Though you say your parents won't allow you to build one. Perhaps you should explain to them some things, benefits in building your own.

I'd would gather all the info, and show your parents what you found, and explain to them how builds should be taking in consideration for future upgrades. If they still disagree in building one, I'd say the one you found could be decent enough. Looks like just about any PCI-E video card that is mid to high end would take up 2 slots. I would see if you could get another PSU for it.

Buying from Dell is another alternative, but you get what you buy basically. I really doesn't have that many options for upgrades, or OC abilities. But I know at least one person on a Dell for specifically for gaming... Dual Pentium 3.ghz, with a 7800GT. His PSU is hanging in there, but it gets him by till perhaps one day... poof <my guess>

Just my 2 cents.

Chil

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
Thanks for the comments guys. My parents don't want me to build it because I'll be too busy building my own machine, which is all retail parts. I sorta hoped the PSU would be enough, but I'll look into alternatives.

Chil

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
Sorry but that's just too much. MY rig is gonna use something like that, and there is no way a micro-ATX system like what I've described will ever come close to using that much power.

From my limited PSU experience, a nice 400W Fortron should do the trick, and it's half the price of what you mentioned.

linux_0

Splendid
Sorry but that's just too much. MY rig is gonna use something like that, and there is no way a micro-ATX system like what I've described will ever come close to using that much power.

From my limited PSU experience, a nice 400W Fortron should do the trick, and it's half the price of what you mentioned.

Yes a TPII 550 would be overkill for that system.

Fortron is quite decent and very reasonably priced, although I recently lost one.

TRENDING THREADS