Folder View is not remembered for "Open" dialog boxes

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Using Windows XP Pro, with SP2.

I have my folder view set to "Details", with the files be set to be shown
in alphabetical order by filename, ascending. I have that set for all
folders. It works, when I open a folder in Windows Explorer.

However, when I am in another program, and I make a selection such as
"Open", where I have to select a file or files, and an explorer dialogue box
opens up showing a folder to select the files from, or navigate with to a
different folder, it does not show the files in my default setting. In fact,
they are never in my default setting, the file order is always mixed up, I
do not know on what basis, and if it is a large folder with many files, it
is difficult to find the file I wish to open. So--while looking at that
dialogue box I set it to how I want it--I choose "Details" from the menu
with which one can choose that, and then click on the "Name" column to sort
the files alphabetically. That works. However-----next time I open that
folder or any other, even a minute later from the same program, my setting
for viewing the folder in the dialogue box is not remembered, again I see
the files all mixed up, and I once again have to set it manually.

What can I do to get such "Open" dialog boxes to always open with the
setting I have for folder view options in Windows Explorer, or at least
remember the last setting?
5 answers Last reply
More about folder view remembered open dialog boxes
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    That's correct. There are no settings for dialogs except the global default sort. You can set this in a folder window opened at a file folder by closing the window with the close button on the titlebar while holding down control. Sort is considered part of Show Hidden Files, et al type of global settings which is why dialogs care about the sort only.

    War on the Pachyderms Terrorists
    http://www.counterpunch.org/wilson09012004.html
    " MS" <ms@nospam.com> wrote in message news:OdgSPqClEHA.1660@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > Using Windows XP Pro, with SP2.
    >
    > I have my folder view set to "Details", with the files be set to be shown
    > in alphabetical order by filename, ascending. I have that set for all
    > folders. It works, when I open a folder in Windows Explorer.
    >
    > However, when I am in another program, and I make a selection such as
    > "Open", where I have to select a file or files, and an explorer dialogue box
    > opens up showing a folder to select the files from, or navigate with to a
    > different folder, it does not show the files in my default setting. In fact,
    > they are never in my default setting, the file order is always mixed up, I
    > do not know on what basis, and if it is a large folder with many files, it
    > is difficult to find the file I wish to open. So--while looking at that
    > dialogue box I set it to how I want it--I choose "Details" from the menu
    > with which one can choose that, and then click on the "Name" column to sort
    > the files alphabetically. That works. However-----next time I open that
    > folder or any other, even a minute later from the same program, my setting
    > for viewing the folder in the dialogue box is not remembered, again I see
    > the files all mixed up, and I once again have to set it manually.
    >
    > What can I do to get such "Open" dialog boxes to always open with the
    > setting I have for folder view options in Windows Explorer, or at least
    > remember the last setting?

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
    That's correct. There are no settings for dialogs except the global default
    sort. You can set this in a folder window opened at a file folder by closing
    the window with the close button on the titlebar while holding down control.
    Sort is considered part of Show Hidden Files, et al type of global settings
    which is why dialogs care about the sort only.

    Well, but I do have it set globally. In "Folder Options", "View" (in a
    regular Explorer window, not a dialog), I selected "Apply to all Folders"
    after the folder was set with the view options I wished.

    So it is set globally. Shouldn't that apply to dialog boxes too?

    What do you mean by "dialogs care about the sort only"? As I wrote, they
    don't seem to remember my sort settings.
    War on the Pachyderms Terrorists
    http://www.counterpunch.org/wilson09012004.html
    " MS" <ms@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Using Windows XP Pro, with SP2.
    >
    > I have my folder view set to "Details", with the files be set to be shown
    > in alphabetical order by filename, ascending. I have that set for all
    > folders. It works, when I open a folder in Windows Explorer.
    >
    > However, when I am in another program, and I make a selection such as
    > "Open", where I have to select a file or files, and an explorer dialogue
    > box
    > opens up showing a folder to select the files from, or navigate with to a
    > different folder, it does not show the files in my default setting. In
    > fact,
    > they are never in my default setting, the file order is always mixed up, I
    > do not know on what basis, and if it is a large folder with many files, it
    > is difficult to find the file I wish to open. So--while looking at that
    > dialogue box I set it to how I want it--I choose "Details" from the menu
    > with which one can choose that, and then click on the "Name" column to
    > sort
    > the files alphabetically. That works. However-----next time I open that
    > folder or any other, even a minute later from the same program, my setting
    > for viewing the folder in the dialogue box is not remembered, again I see
    > the files all mixed up, and I once again have to set it manually.
    >
    > What can I do to get such "Open" dialog boxes to always open with the
    > setting I have for folder view options in Windows Explorer, or at least
    > remember the last setting?

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    I've told you how to change the sort. Argue with someone else.
    " MS" <ms@nospam.com> wrote in message news:%23AsK9RElEHA.3648@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

    > "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > That's correct. There are no settings for dialogs except the global default
    > sort. You can set this in a folder window opened at a file folder by closing
    > the window with the close button on the titlebar while holding down control.
    > Sort is considered part of Show Hidden Files, et al type of global settings
    > which is why dialogs care about the sort only.
    >
    > Well, but I do have it set globally. In "Folder Options", "View" (in a
    > regular Explorer window, not a dialog), I selected "Apply to all Folders"
    > after the folder was set with the view options I wished.
    >
    > So it is set globally. Shouldn't that apply to dialog boxes too?
    >
    > What do you mean by "dialogs care about the sort only"? As I wrote, they
    > don't seem to remember my sort settings.
    > War on the Pachyderms Terrorists
    > http://www.counterpunch.org/wilson09012004.html
    > " MS" <ms@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > Using Windows XP Pro, with SP2.
    > >
    > > I have my folder view set to "Details", with the files be set to be shown
    > > in alphabetical order by filename, ascending. I have that set for all
    > > folders. It works, when I open a folder in Windows Explorer.
    > >
    > > However, when I am in another program, and I make a selection such as
    > > "Open", where I have to select a file or files, and an explorer dialogue
    > > box
    > > opens up showing a folder to select the files from, or navigate with to a
    > > different folder, it does not show the files in my default setting. In
    > > fact,
    > > they are never in my default setting, the file order is always mixed up, I
    > > do not know on what basis, and if it is a large folder with many files, it
    > > is difficult to find the file I wish to open. So--while looking at that
    > > dialogue box I set it to how I want it--I choose "Details" from the menu
    > > with which one can choose that, and then click on the "Name" column to
    > > sort
    > > the files alphabetically. That works. However-----next time I open that
    > > folder or any other, even a minute later from the same program, my setting
    > > for viewing the folder in the dialogue box is not remembered, again I see
    > > the files all mixed up, and I once again have to set it manually.
    > >
    > > What can I do to get such "Open" dialog boxes to always open with the
    > > setting I have for folder view options in Windows Explorer, or at least
    > > remember the last setting?

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Once more---I was not arguing with you!! Do you get that? Asking someone a
    question about what they wrote is not "arguing"??

    I've told you how to change the sort. Argue with someone else.
    War on the Pachyderms Terrorists
    http://www.counterpunch.org/wilson09012004.html
    " MS" <ms@nospam.com> wrote in message

    > "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > That's correct. There are no settings for dialogs except the global
    default
    > sort. You can set this in a folder window opened at a file folder by
    closing
    > the window with the close button on the titlebar while holding down
    control.
    > Sort is considered part of Show Hidden Files, et al type of global
    settings
    > which is why dialogs care about the sort only.
    >
    > Well, but I do have it set globally. In "Folder Options", "View" (in a
    > regular Explorer window, not a dialog), I selected "Apply to all Folders"
    > after the folder was set with the view options I wished.
    >
    > So it is set globally. Shouldn't that apply to dialog boxes too?
    >
    > What do you mean by "dialogs care about the sort only"? As I wrote, they
    > don't seem to remember my sort settings.
    > War on the Pachyderms Terrorists
    > http://www.counterpunch.org/wilson09012004.html
    > " MS" <ms@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > Using Windows XP Pro, with SP2.
    > >
    > > I have my folder view set to "Details", with the files be set to be
    shown
    > > in alphabetical order by filename, ascending. I have that set for all
    > > folders. It works, when I open a folder in Windows Explorer.
    > >
    > > However, when I am in another program, and I make a selection such as
    > > "Open", where I have to select a file or files, and an explorer dialogue
    > > box
    > > opens up showing a folder to select the files from, or navigate with to
    > > different folder, it does not show the files in my default setting. In
    > > fact,
    > > they are never in my default setting, the file order is always mixed up,
    > > do not know on what basis, and if it is a large folder with many files,
    it
    > > is difficult to find the file I wish to open. So--while looking at that
    > > dialogue box I set it to how I want it--I choose "Details" from the
    menu
    > > with which one can choose that, and then click on the "Name" column to
    > > sort
    > > the files alphabetically. That works. However-----next time I open that
    > > folder or any other, even a minute later from the same program, my
    setting
    > > for viewing the folder in the dialogue box is not remembered, again I
    see
    > > the files all mixed up, and I once again have to set it manually.
    > >
    > > What can I do to get such "Open" dialog boxes to always open with the
    > > setting I have for folder view options in Windows Explorer, or at least
    > > remember the last setting?

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Why are you so short tempered?

Windows Explorer Microsoft Windows XP