Sign in with
Your question

PC keeps shutting off when running certain applications

Last response: in Systems
March 30, 2006 7:23:49 AM

I have recently upgraded my motherboard, CPU, Graphics card, PSU and treated myself to my first SATA drive as well :) 

Specs:

Motherboard: ASUS A8N5X NF4 , S939 , PCI-E (x16) , DDR PC3200 (400), SATA I , SATA RAID , ATX (New)

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3700+ Socket939 , San Diego Core, 2.2GHz , 1MB Cache (New)

Graphics: 256MB XFX Gforce 6600GT 1000 MHz ,GPU 500 MHz ,8 Pipes, S-Video/TV Out , Dual DVI-I

Memory: 2x 500mb (More specs to follow if needed)

Hard Drives: 1x Western Digital SATA 200gig (New), 1x Western Digital ATA 120gig and 2x Western Digital ATA 80gig.

PSU: 580W HiperPower Type-R Modular, Quiet Dbl Fan aPFC ATX2.2 20/24 Pin

I had a bit of a nightmare after it was built because i could not get the PC to start up but after looking on these forums i found the answer to that problem. It turned out that i needed to connect another power connector to the motherboard.

I then had a problem with the drives and which drive the system was booting off or trying to boot off and i managed to solve that in the end as well. I eventually had a working system for a couple of months and then it died on me. It was working one day and the next it would not boot, saying that NTLDR was missing. I tried to fix that but in the end i gave up, backed up my data and wiped the drive.

So far I have installed Windows XP Pro with SP2, all the motherboard drivers and graphics card drivers and drivers/software for a couple of TV applications. One for a Hauppage WinTV 250 card and another for a Freecom DVB USB Stick.

When I start any of these two applications the TV comes on fine for a minute or two and then everything goes off. All the fans in the PC are still going but there is nothing on the screen, no sound, no response. I have used both of these applications with no problems when i had the PC working for 2 months so i dont really know what is going on here.

I have run a check on the SATA drive and that seems fine. I have done a memory test and that looks ok too. I have even run PC Mark and 3D mark on the system ok without any problems.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

Could it be possible that the CPU is not getting enough power? The VCore?

I will admit that i have not tried any other applications or games yet to see if they run ok. Because of this problem i have not installed anything else yet.

Any testing software to recommend would be good also. Thanks in advance for any help.
March 30, 2006 7:49:28 AM

what are your system temps when running those apps? And this may be unrelated but how much thermal grease did you use?
March 30, 2006 7:53:13 AM

i see you have wd hdd-s.....yust one hint...what kind of power connector do you have for sata wd hdd?
Related resources
March 30, 2006 9:24:49 AM

Quote:
what are your system temps when running those apps? And this may be unrelated but how much thermal grease did you use?

The system temps did not change much from running nothing to running the apps, maybe went up 1 or 2 degrees if that. I am at work at the moment but i will do a test tonight and post the temps for you to see.

As for the thermal grease, i bought the CPU as a retail package complete with heatsink and fan. The heatsink had some thermal paste already on it so I used it as it comes.

Do you know what the normal temp range should be for this CPU?
March 30, 2006 9:26:32 AM

Quote:
i see you have wd hdd-s.....yust one hint...what kind of power connector do you have for sata wd hdd?

The 200gig Western Digital SATA drive i have seems to have 2 different power connectors. The standard one and a smaller one. I am using the standard connector.
March 30, 2006 9:53:50 AM

it`s ok ...you can use either of them but not both in the same time...
March 30, 2006 10:51:53 AM

Try swapping out to other pc's the hardware causing the restart, firstly in isolation and then both. I recently lost a lot of time on an old pc chasing a stop error, turned out to be the usb side of my adsl modem. Twigged when another pc locked on being hooked up to the usb port of the modem, which had previously been stable plugged in to the lan side.

Google for setting up error reporting in XP, error codes may assist in searching for an answer.

Peter.
March 30, 2006 11:17:14 AM

Quote:
Try swapping out to other pc's the hardware causing the restart, firstly in isolation and then both. I recently lost a lot of time on an old pc chasing a stop error, turned out to be the usb side of my adsl modem. Twigged when another pc locked on being hooked up to the usb port of the modem, which had previously been stable plugged in to the lan side.

Google for setting up error reporting in XP, error codes may assist in searching for an answer.

Peter.

I dont know what hardware is causing the crash, or if it is a hardware problem (I have had all the same components and software running fine). The machine does not restart. The screen goes blank, there is no sound but the machine still seems to be running (all the fans going round etc)
March 30, 2006 10:19:02 PM

You indicated the problem is noted using the tv functions after a couple of minutes. What about if those functions are not used? If the pc runs for the tests you have performed without any problem and for more than the couple of minutes indicated, doesn't that point to the tv hardware as an initial investigation?
March 31, 2006 6:49:25 AM

Looks like it has solved itself now.

I got home from work and my PC had been on all day, sat idle after my GF turned it on earlier in the day. An IT friend came round and I was like "While you are here let me show you a problem i am having with my PC." I started the Hauppage application and it ran fine for 5-10 mins so i shut it down and started the Freecom application and the same thing happened. In fact we ended up watching a couple of TV programs totaling over an hour with no problems??

I am baffled by this but it seems to have sorted itself out, maybe it was a software/driver issue.

Anyway, thanks to all those who tried to help.
!