OVERCLOCKING question

rmthompson

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
Ok - another question about my x800GTO agp... (normal speed is 400/490)

I tried to do use the "Find Max Core" on ATItool this morning, but I already had the memory overclocked from 490 to 515.

So the ATItool jumped from 419 to like 435 in a few minutes, and (I assume because the mem was OC's already) it artifacted immediatly.

Then it artifacted at 432. then at 429... and artifacted all the way down to 422... and I flipped out and aborted. Scared I must of done something bad.

So I dropped it down to 419. I let it run for a few minutes artifact free, and around 70 degrees...

So now, the questions are:

Which adds more performance: OCing the CORE or OCing the memory.

Which effects Artifacts more: OCing the CORE or MEM.

How MUCH performance do you see from a 400 core to a 419 core... does it really matter?

What other factors can effect artifacting?

I basically am looking for a highly stable OC, since I cannot add anymore cooling right now. I don't want to push it to the point of breaking. It seems that 419 core, 505ish mem is pretty stable, but I wonder if I lower the mem down to where it was (490) can I push the core higher? And if I do, does it add more performance...

Sorry for all the questions. I feel like a forum whore... using you guys this much... but thanks! :wink:

cleeve

Illustrious
OCing core gives more computational performance... pixel pushing, shaders, etc.

OCing memory gives more AA & AF performance (& higher resolutions).

There is some overlap with both though, i.e., OCing the core will help with AA, just generally not as much as OCing memory.

Either will artifact, but usually in different ways. I find memory has a harder 'limit', once you pass it it'll crash or artifact like crazy.

bluntside

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
OK the True Key to overclocking your gpu is, Ocing your ram will enable you 2 play your games in much higher graphic settings, oc it until you reach a stable peak tjen go for the core, until IT reaches a stalbe setting. Its a game of trial and error, but I'm sure you will get it. If have anymore questions. plz repost
-good luck- :wink:

"Which adds more performance: OCing the CORE or OCing the memory."

Memory speeds, by far, offer the greatest impact....

"Which effects Artifacts more: OCing the CORE or MEM. "

Mem speeds usually cause the artifacting....

carpcmelee

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
wow its funny how ur agp x800 artifacted after 19 mhz increase. my fx5500 pci is oced to 345/515 and no artifacts. lol from 270/350 stock

cleeve

Illustrious
It's funny how your 5500 artifacts after a 90 Mhz increase. my X1800 XL pci is oced to 725/635 and no artifacts. lol 225 mhz increase on the core from 500/500 stock ;)

Seriously, overclocking success is based on many things, luck being one of them. In your (and my) case, the manufacturers simply clocked the processors much lower than they could go. They just push the X800 GTO closer to it's limit at the factory, plain and simple... our overclocks are nothing worth being too proud of because our cards were underclocked when we started.

scoyle

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2005
The X800 GTO usually uses a r420 core, which is the same core for most X800 models. They don't produce a very good overclock, especially when compared to the R480 core.

Your core might have reached its limit, at least with your current cooling solution. Perhaps you can achieve a better result with a more efficient cooling solution.

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
You need to raise VRAM timings to overclock your Video RAM / GPU combo by the sounds of it.

- TRP, TRAS and maybe CL

Don't use the auto overclock, just manually run the artifact test for 5 minutes at each speed, rising GPU or VRAM by +5 MHz each time it passes a 5 min manual Artifact test.

The auto find feature is just to 'demonstrate' how to use the program. :p

rmthompson

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
The X800 GTO usually uses a r420 core, which is the same core for most X800 models. They don't produce a very good overclock, especially when compared to the R480 core.

Your core might have reached its limit, at least with your current cooling solution. Perhaps you can achieve a better result with a more efficient cooling solution.

I believe mine is an R430 core... which I was told could get up to around 450 core clock... but I haven't had luck above 420... :(

Now, about cooling? Would cooling effect artifacting even at 60 - 70 degrees?

I plan on manually overclocking it tonight... 5mhz at a time, as Tabris has suggested.

pauldh

Illustrious
It's funny how your X1800XL OC's 225MHz on the core while my BFG6800U only manages to go from 425MHz to 435MHz without artifacts. :cry: Basically if I go 10MHz lower than max, which I like as a minimum, I am stuck at stock BFG OC. :roll:

The mem goes to 1210 at least. Did your 6800U go over 435 core?

cleeve

Illustrious
Nope, my 6800 Ultra was very overclock unfriendly... I think I could only make it to about 425 mhz core... I basically gave up and ran it stock.

Memory did pretty good though, can't complain there. Don't remember the exact numbers though.

jeremy_pro

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Mine FX5700LE goes to 350/589 from 250/400 stock. IMO that's a decent overclock for a LE card. Or maybe the LE cards are underclocked waiting to be overclocked :roll:

rmthompson

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
I am becoming more and more ready to try and unlock the extra 4 pipes... but I would need to find a really really detailed list of instructions online...

I guess I am just so afraid of burning it up - or really screwing my computer up somehow.

Im just paranoid I guess... it would make sense to do!

hongkongphuey

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
My cool bits allows my 6800GT to score 400/1100 artifact free, from the stock 350/1000. I'm sure I can push the core some more, but I know my memory is maxed. Get an Arctic Cooler or a Zalman VGA cooler. You would be AMAZED at what a good cooler will do over a stock bulk one. And they are much more quiet.

rmthompson

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
From What I read here... I should be focused on OVERCLOCKING the MEMORY first - if it effects the way things look more.

The strangest thing is that this game "The Movies" is like the freaking hardest game on my system. It really eats up resources, and catches when I scroll the screen.

I dont get why I can run Half life 2 sooo smooth, but games like The Movies and Zoo Tycoon 2 give it trouble... is it the software?

rmthompson

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
Well I overlocked when i got home, and I feel pretty stable at 420/525...

I scanned for artifacts for 12 minutes, and got nothing. The temperature never rose above 74.6, so I feel pretty good with that.

I will try some more later, but for tongiht, i am gonna stick with that. Seems reasonable!