Search ability in XP

It seems I've accidentally deleted or otherwise disabled a file that I need
for searching the computer.

When I click on search, either in my start menu or in a folder, the message
I get is
"a file that is required to run Search Companion can not be found" "You may
need to run setup".

Can anyone assist in this problem?

I've tried finding "setup:" but can't

HELP!

Thanks
Stu
8 answers Last reply
More about search ability

    Try this link:
    us;319949&Product=winxp

    Abel, when I try to go here, this is what I get:
    The page you were looking for is currently not available. The address may
    not be correct, or there may be a temporary problem with this site.

    I found a few pages that talk about changing search companion defaults.

    But the first set of instructions: Click Start, click Search, and then click
    Change preferences, I don't see "change preferences".

    The I found this at Microsoft website Error Message: "A File That Is
    Required to Run Search Companion Cannot Be Found" . The "fix" is to
    download the following file Method 2: Download and Install the Hotfix
    Download the Q319949 package now

    A file that is required to run search companion cannot be found. You may
    need to run setup.

    After you receive this error message, you cannot use Search Companion to
    search for files or folders, or to search the Internet. The options to
    search for files or folders, or to search the Internet, are unavailable.

    CAUSE
    This behavior can occur if a file required to run Search Companion is
    missing or damaged. Note that this problem affects only the English-language
    version of Windows XP.

    NOTE: Search Companion files may be damaged if you have Search Companion
    open when you connect to certain Internet Service Providers.

    RESOLUTION
    To resolve this problem, use one of the following methods.

    Method 1: Install Windows XP SP1
    To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Windows XP. For
    additional information, click the following article number to view the
    article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

    322389 How to Obtain the Latest Windows XP Service Pack

    Method 2: Download and Install the Hotfix
    I tried downloading this file, but when try to open it, it tell me I have a
    file newer than the file I downloaded?
    The following file is available for download from the Microsoft Download
    Center:

    Download the Q319949 package now

    Release Date: June 1, 2002

    Windows XP Patch: Directory Corruption Disables XP Search Companion

    "stuart wohl" <sbw@starband.net> wrote in message
    > It seems I've accidentally deleted or otherwise disabled a file that I
    need
    > for searching the computer.
    >
    > When I click on search, either in my start menu or in a folder, the
    message
    > I get is
    > "a file that is required to run Search Companion can not be found" "You
    may
    > need to run setup".
    >
    > Can anyone assist in this problem?
    >
    > I've tried finding "setup:" but can't
    >
    > HELP!
    >
    > Thanks
    > Stu

    When you click START, SEARCH, there is a scroll bar under
    the animated search companion. Scroll down to see
    the "Change preferences" option.

    When I click Start - Search - I get
    files / folders
    on the internet
    pagekeeper find (my scanner)
    for internet audio / video
    using pagis search tool (my scanner)
    for people
    on a FTP site

    I have no scroll bar and no "preferences"

    "Abel Diaz" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When you click START, SEARCH, there is a scroll bar under
    > the animated search companion. Scroll down to see
    > the "Change preferences" option.

    Ok then try this:
    go to START, RUN, and type in "%systemroot%/inf" without
    the quotes, then hit OK. Scroll down to the file named
    SRCHASST.INF, right-click and select INSTALL. You will
    need your XP cd to continue.
    That will re-install the search companion. Let me know if
    this helps.

    wrote in news:p64%c.28$pf.1@fe25.usenetserver.com:
    > Abel, when I try to go here, this is what I get:
    > The page you were looking for is currently not available. The address
    > may not be correct, or there may be a temporary problem with this
    > site.
    <snip>

    FYI, the link that Abel provided is probably line-wrapped in your
    newsreader. So clicking on it won't use all of the URL for the link
    (i.e., the part on the next line does not get included). You will need
    to copy the first line for the URL, paste it into the Address bar, and
    the copy and paste the rest of the URL on the next line in the message.
    A shorter URL for the link is:

    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=319949.

    ok, here's what I did.
    I copies the %systemroot%/inf and put it in start / run
    I scrolled down to SRCHASST.INF - right clicked and hit, install
    it then tried to find the file.
    I have a Dell machine, so I inserted the CD entitled OP Reinstall Windows
    XP...
    The computer looked in D and it couldn't find it.
    Then I looked in D and did find it. I came back to "files needed" dialog
    box and directed it to look in d: winxp\i386 and the file is there so I
    clicked on it. The first few times it didn't copy. But of course as I'm
    writing this I tried again. This time it copied it but I had to manually
    insert another file.
    So I guess it did copy all the necessary files, but when I try to run search
    again, it still tells me I'm missing a necessary file.

    > Ok then try this:
    > go to START, RUN, and type in "%systemroot%/inf" without
    > the quotes, then hit OK. Scroll down to the file named
    > SRCHASST.INF, right-click and select INSTALL. You will
    > need your XP cd to continue.
    > That will re-install the search companion. Let me know if
    > this helps.

    ok, here's what I did.
    I copies the %systemroot%/inf and put it in start / run
    I scrolled down to SRCHASST.INF - right clicked and hit, install
    it then tried to find the file.
    I have a Dell machine, so I inserted the CD entitled OP Reinstall Windows
    XP...
    The computer looked in D and it couldn't find it.
    Then I looked in D and did find it. I came back to "files needed" dialog
    box and directed it to look in d: winxp\i386 and the file is there so I
    clicked on it. The first few times it didn't copy. But of course as I'm
    writing this I tried again. This time it copied it but I had to manually
    insert another file.
    So I guess it did copy all the necessary files, but when I try to run search
    again, it still tells me I'm missing a necessary file.
    I booted and tried again, but same result.
    HELP!

    "Abel Diaz" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Ok then try this:
    > go to START, RUN, and type in "%systemroot%/inf" without
    > the quotes, then hit OK. Scroll down to the file named
    > SRCHASST.INF, right-click and select INSTALL. You will
    > need your XP cd to continue.
    > That will re-install the search companion. Let me know if
    > this helps.

    "Abel Diaz" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Ok then try this:
    > go to START, RUN, and type in "%systemroot%/inf" without
    > the quotes, then hit OK. Scroll down to the file named
    > SRCHASST.INF, right-click and select INSTALL. You will
    > need your XP cd to continue.
    > That will re-install the search companion. Let me know if
    > this helps.

Microsoft Windows XP