PC keeps resetting itself... HELP!!!

cardcrash

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
I just tried to install zonealarm, as soon as it had finished my computer just reset itself, and now everytime my computer loads windows it just resets before I can do anything!! How can I solve this??

I didn't turn off windows firewall before installing zonealarm which I guess is why this is happening. Once windows has loaded I have about 5 - 10 seconds to do anything. I tried to quickly uninstall zonealarm before it reset but that does seem to work, it still happens. I'm worried I'm going to have to reinstall windows again which I've only just done because of my new HDD, it took ages to getting everything on there. Which incidentally is how I'm managing to write this - I'm able to boot off my old HDD. Can anyone help?? I don't know what to do, I don't even know how to boot in safe mode!!

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
:idea: Run Windows Update if you can. (Has basic virus clean ups every month for infected machines... assuming they boot and login OK).

:!: Have the machine scanned for virus infections ASAP.

cardcrash

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
Panic over! Sorry! Don't quite know what I did but somehow I've managed to uninstall zone alarm!

ZA gave me problems on my old computer when I installed it, has anyone esle had issues with it??

I think I'm going to stay away from it now! Unless it was just because I didn't turn off Windows' resident firewall, but nowhere did I see any warning about it.

cardcrash

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
Sorry, wrote that last post before I read yours.

Problem was, when I booted from my raptor (the drive I installed ZA on) it only gave me about 5 - 10 seconds to do anything. When I booted from my old Samsung 20GB I tried to uninstall it from there but it just said it couldn't find 'install.log' or something like that. I was in a right old fluster.

In the end, I booted from the Raptor and tried again to quickly click on ZA uninstall, which seemed to have an effect, cos it reset again as usual but this time when I got back into Windows it didn't reset itself as before and I was able to uninstall it properly. All a bit strange but there we are!!

I've got to uninstall my 6600GT now and replace it with an 1800XL, bound to have some fun, knowing my luck!!!

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Interesting, I have never heard of that either. The firewall included with XP (even SP2) is garbage anyway. The best protection is a hardware firewall via a router anyway.