P5WD2 Premium + Dual Core CPU + Hiper 580w PSU

Hi everyone,

I have this combination of hardware that I have just set up in my new system but I have an issue before booting up.

What exactly are the power requirements for my Pentium D 940?

I have plugged in a 4-pin connector into my EATX12V socket on my motherboard and there is a cap on another 4-pins directly next to it. Can I simply plug in another 4-pin from my PSU as it does NOT supply an 8-pin connector?

I don't want to turn my system on if I'm not supplying the right power to my CPU. It says on the Hiper PSU website that they don't support dual core CPUs. Why can't I simply plug in another 4-pin connector (totalling the required 8-pin)?

Please help!!
5 answers Last reply
More about p5wd2 premium dual core hiper 580w
  1. Quote:

Page xii: Power Requirement:

ATX power supply (with 24-pin and 2 x 4-pin 12V plugs)
    ATX 12V 2.0 or later standard compliant

This means that you MUST use two 4 pin 12V plugs. You cannot use just one.

Read The Fine Manual

Read your manual! It's much easier for your to look at the manual that came with your motherboard than it is for me to go to the manufacture's website, locate the product, and then wait for Asus's slow servers to send it over to me.
  2. Fine?! LOL
  3. I have just recieved an email from Intel and they said:

"Unfortunately, yes you will need to change your power supply since the 8 pin connector is a requirement in order to make the Intel(R) Pentium(R) D processor 940 function properly."

I know this goes off CPU topic but what PSU do you recommend for my dual core 8-pin requirement? I've popped into my local PCWorld quickly and they were so unhelpful and actually didn't know what I was talking about!
  4. Quote:
    I have just recieved an email from Intel and they said:

"Unfortunately, yes you will need to change your power supply since the 8 pin connector is a requirement in order to make the Intel(R) Pentium(R) D processor 940 function properly."

I know this goes off CPU topic but what PSU do you recommend for my dual core 8-pin requirement? I've popped into my local PCWorld quickly and they were so unhelpful and actually didn't know what I was talking about!

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1273350&CatId=2036
  5. Any EPS12V PSU should be what you need as the EPS standard mandates an 8-pin +12V connector. The EPS12V PSUs fit in standard ATX cases.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Dual Core