aircraft control problems

Lately, most of my add-on aircraft seem to have developed a control problem.
I first I thought it was a problem with the auto-pilot. I use the auto-pilot
feature for long flights. What would happen is about halfway through the
flight, the aircraft would attempt to go vertical. I would have to turn the
auto pilot off and keep the joystick all the way forward just to maintain
level flight. This problem happened when flying a gulfstream aircraft.
I did another short flight today using a C-130. I used the auto-pilot for
the duration of the flight and there were no control problems. I was coming
in for approach, and the runway lights indicated I was on the correct glide
slope (4 white lights). I then realized that I was getting the four white
lights in error because I was too high to land so I had to go around. I
intially couldn't get the plane off the ground. Once I did, the plane lost
all control and I had a very hard time flying it manually. The instant I let
go of the joystick the plane would go vertical. This was happening without
the auto pilot on. I had increased the throttle to full and the flaps were
retracted so it is definately not an issue of going to slow. I don't know
that I can adjust the trim and still be able to fly the heading and keep a
level altitude. I'm wondering if completely removing FS and reinstalling it
will fix these issues? I have recently installed the FS 9.1 update, but this
was an issue prior to the update. This particular issue limits the aircraft
that I can use.

First, 4 white lights indicates that you are too high; you should have two
red on top or to the right, two white on bottom or to the left.

Second. watch your pitch trim indicator at all times when you are on
autopilot. If it is going too far toward UP, increase your power until it is
pretty close to the center position.

Before you turn off your autopilot, make sure that the trim is centered, but
be ready for a slight pitch up no matter what.

"Charlie Brookhart" <charliebrookhart46@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Lately, most of my add-on aircraft seem to have developed a control
problem.
> I first I thought it was a problem with the auto-pilot. I use the
auto-pilot
> feature for long flights. What would happen is about halfway through the
> flight, the aircraft would attempt to go vertical. I would have to turn
the
> auto pilot off and keep the joystick all the way forward just to maintain
> level flight. This problem happened when flying a gulfstream aircraft.
> I did another short flight today using a C-130. I used the auto-pilot for
> the duration of the flight and there were no control problems. I was
coming
> in for approach, and the runway lights indicated I was on the correct
glide
> slope (4 white lights). I then realized that I was getting the four white
> lights in error because I was too high to land so I had to go around. I
> intially couldn't get the plane off the ground. Once I did, the plane lost
> all control and I had a very hard time flying it manually. The instant I
let
> go of the joystick the plane would go vertical. This was happening without
> the auto pilot on. I had increased the throttle to full and the flaps were
> retracted so it is definately not an issue of going to slow. I don't know
> that I can adjust the trim and still be able to fly the heading and keep a
> level altitude. I'm wondering if completely removing FS and reinstalling
it
> will fix these issues? I have recently installed the FS 9.1 update, but
this
> was an issue prior to the update. This particular issue limits the
aircraft
> that I can use.

I apparently misunderstood the meaning of the indicator lights. Thanks for
clearing that up.

What can be done about the pitch when flying manually? It seems to go from
level flight to vertical almost instantly. It's hard to get it back to level
flight at that point.
"Lakeview Bill" <bdentonchi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> First, 4 white lights indicates that you are too high; you should have two
> red on top or to the right, two white on bottom or to the left.
>
> Second. watch your pitch trim indicator at all times when you are on
> autopilot. If it is going too far toward UP, increase your power until it
is
> pretty close to the center position.
>
> Before you turn off your autopilot, make sure that the trim is centered,
but
> be ready for a slight pitch up no matter what.
>

> "Charlie Brookhart" <charliebrookhart46@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Lately, most of my add-on aircraft seem to have developed a control
> problem.
> > I first I thought it was a problem with the auto-pilot. I use the
> auto-pilot
> > feature for long flights. What would happen is about halfway through the
> > flight, the aircraft would attempt to go vertical. I would have to turn
> the
> > auto pilot off and keep the joystick all the way forward just to
maintain
> > level flight. This problem happened when flying a gulfstream aircraft.
> > I did another short flight today using a C-130. I used the auto-pilot
for
> > the duration of the flight and there were no control problems. I was
> coming
> > in for approach, and the runway lights indicated I was on the correct
> glide
> > slope (4 white lights). I then realized that I was getting the four
white
> > lights in error because I was too high to land so I had to go around. I
> > intially couldn't get the plane off the ground. Once I did, the plane
lost
> > all control and I had a very hard time flying it manually. The instant I
> let
> > go of the joystick the plane would go vertical. This was happening
without
> > the auto pilot on. I had increased the throttle to full and the flaps
were
> > retracted so it is definately not an issue of going to slow. I don't
know
> > that I can adjust the trim and still be able to fly the heading and keep
> > level altitude. I'm wondering if completely removing FS and reinstalling
> it
> > will fix these issues? I have recently installed the FS 9.1 update, but
> this
> > was an issue prior to the update. This particular issue limits the
> aircraft
> > that I can use.

dallas

"Charlie Brookhart"
> What can be done about the pitch when flying manually? It seems to go from
> level flight to vertical almost instantly. It's hard to get it back to
level
> flight at that point.

Not sure I understand. You are hand flying the aircraft straight and level
and suddenly it decides to pitch up? Please clarify.

Dallas

GREGORY

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 17:08:42 -0400, "Charlie Brookhart"
<charliebrookhart46@hotmail.com> brought the following to our
attention:

>Lately, most add-on aircraft seem to have developed a control problem.
>I first I thought it was a problem with the auto-pilot. I use the auto-pilot
>feature for long flights. What would happen is about halfway through the
>flight, the aircraft would attempt to go vertical. I would have to turn the
>auto pilot off and keep the joystick all the way forward just to maintain
>level flight.

That used to happen in the early days of FS2002 with some planes.

Seem to recall it means the FD (flight dynamics).. which is the
Aircraft.cfg and AIR file.. are really messed up. The description
reads like EL-Trim going hard-up... well `to the max' that is. Can it
be trimmed and flown by hand at cruise? or is it all over the place?

-G

That generally happens when your trim tab overpowers the autopilot.
When it happens, try trimming your nose down to level out. It might
take a lot of trim.

Jerry

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 17:08:42 -0400, "Charlie Brookhart"
<charliebrookhart46@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Lately, most of my add-on aircraft seem to have developed a control problem.
>I first I thought it was a problem with the auto-pilot. I use the auto-pilot
>feature for long flights. What would happen is about halfway through the
>flight, the aircraft would attempt to go vertical. I would have to turn the
>auto pilot off and keep the joystick all the way forward just to maintain
>level flight. This problem happened when flying a gulfstream aircraft.
>I did another short flight today using a C-130. I used the auto-pilot for
>the duration of the flight and there were no control problems. I was coming
>in for approach, and the runway lights indicated I was on the correct glide
>slope (4 white lights). I then realized that I was getting the four white
>lights in error because I was too high to land so I had to go around. I
>intially couldn't get the plane off the ground. Once I did, the plane lost
>all control and I had a very hard time flying it manually. The instant I let
>go of the joystick the plane would go vertical. This was happening without
>the auto pilot on. I had increased the throttle to full and the flaps were
>retracted so it is definately not an issue of going to slow. I don't know
>that I can adjust the trim and still be able to fly the heading and keep a
>level altitude. I'm wondering if completely removing FS and reinstalling it
>will fix these issues? I have recently installed the FS 9.1 update, but this
>was an issue prior to the update. This particular issue limits the aircraft
>that I can use.

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Is your autothrottle on? I find it annoying that despite this being on the
autopilot console of boeings etc it doesn't disengage along with the
autopilot being switched off.

Chris

> "Charlie Brookhart"
>> What can be done about the pitch when flying manually? It seems to go
>> from
>> level flight to vertical almost instantly. It's hard to get it back to
> level
>> flight at that point.
>
> Not sure I understand. You are hand flying the aircraft straight and
> level
> and suddenly it decides to pitch up? Please clarify.
>

> Dallas

>Is your autothrottle on? I find it annoying that despite this being on the
>autopilot console of boeings etc it doesn't disengage along with the
>autopilot being switched off.

But it is realistic, isn't there a setting with FSUIPC to slave the AT
control to the AP disconnect?

===
Best Regards
Katy

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

HELLO THERE KATY!

Nice to see a lady (I hope) on here. My wife can't see what all the fuss is
about with that 'Game'!!

Chris

Chris wrote:
> HELLO THERE KATY!
>
> Nice to see a lady (I hope) on here. My wife can't see what all the
> fuss is about with that 'Game'!!
>
> Chris

Careful Chris,
Katy is not a lady, she is THE lady, and one of our original gurus on a
revisit to us grumpy old men.
She has been away too long.

Quilljar
see http://client.webshots.com/album/194691959rhDQFi
Do not reply personally, all such emails go into my spam filter

>She has been away too long.

Yup, my fault using that dinosaur Agent for news and forgetting the
alt.games.ms.flight-sim group every time I re-install :-(

===
Best Regards
Katy

There were a few planes in 2002 that I recall that were equipped with an
"auto trim" of sorts though not an autopilot. I think it was an "bell and
whistle" thing of the sim craft. One of the designers who used them was
Chick Dome. I know that I had lots of control problems with those. They
usually could be turned off and things were fine. Are some still using them
I wonder.

Mr. Steve of the Valley of the Sun - KGEU

"Jerry Hughes" <jhuges@dallas.net> wrote in message
> That generally happens when your trim tab overpowers the autopilot.
> When it happens, try trimming your nose down to level out. It might
> take a lot of trim.
>
> Jerry
>
> On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 17:08:42 -0400, "Charlie Brookhart"
> <charliebrookhart46@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Lately, most of my add-on aircraft seem to have developed a control
>>problem.
>>I first I thought it was a problem with the auto-pilot. I use the
>>auto-pilot
>>feature for long flights. What would happen is about halfway through the
>>flight, the aircraft would attempt to go vertical. I would have to turn
>>the
>>auto pilot off and keep the joystick all the way forward just to maintain
>>level flight. This problem happened when flying a gulfstream aircraft.
>>I did another short flight today using a C-130. I used the auto-pilot for
>>the duration of the flight and there were no control problems. I was
>>coming
>>in for approach, and the runway lights indicated I was on the correct
>>glide
>>slope (4 white lights). I then realized that I was getting the four white
>>lights in error because I was too high to land so I had to go around. I
>>intially couldn't get the plane off the ground. Once I did, the plane lost
>>all control and I had a very hard time flying it manually. The instant I
>>let
>>go of the joystick the plane would go vertical. This was happening without
>>the auto pilot on. I had increased the throttle to full and the flaps were
>>retracted so it is definately not an issue of going to slow. I don't know
>>that I can adjust the trim and still be able to fly the heading and keep a
>>level altitude. I'm wondering if completely removing FS and reinstalling
>>it
>>will fix these issues? I have recently installed the FS 9.1 update, but
>>this
>>was an issue prior to the update. This particular issue limits the
>>aircraft
>>that I can use.

Welcome back Katy,

I'm relatively new to this group (a few months) with the occasional witty
post (is it madness to laugh at your own comments!!) - give me a PPL - I can
fly honest, just twist and pull that boomerang shaped thingy, press those
pedals, move that lever and watch that colourful arrow on the HSI and I'll
get you there.